SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My covid experience
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My covid experience Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Just the facts: The week before Christmas I was ill with a fever, headache, body aches, inability to retain food/drink (everything that went in came out in short order). Home test indicated I was positive for covid. Those conditions resolved but I was having issues breathing. I did not notice it as much as my wife did. Called primary doc who recommended going to the hospital. Was admitted to hospital the day after Christmas. Confirmed I had covid, and put me on high flow oxygen due to pneumonia conditions (due to covid). I was there for the next two weeks. Went through three courses of treatment for covid (one was IV, the other two were pill forms). Covid resolved but oxygen levels were still concerning (due to the pneumonia and my lungs). Over the course of my stay things improved and the oxygen flows were reduced. I came home 12 days ago and have been resting and rehabbing since. I was fortunate in that I never was in the ICU, never on a ventilator or any other form of mechanical breathing apparatus, etc. Just oxygen. My situation has been slowly improving but not back to 100%. Had an appointment with my primary care doc this week and my lungs sounded great, but he said it would take time to heal. I am resuming work Monday (working from home, remotely). It's been a rough road and I am glad to be here.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8658 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this factual experience. Happy you came through it successfully. Take care.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I got Covid in December 2020, took three weeks to get over but never had any lung problems. I got it the second time this past Saturday. Had fever, terrible body aches, cough, irritated throat and fatigue. I am about over it but the wife just got it.

So here are some tips. Buy a pulse oximeter and monitor your blood O2, if it starts dropping head to the hospital. Do breathing exercises and lay down as little as possible to keep it out of your lungs. Take Vitamins D, C, and zinc. Drink lots of water, rinse your nose with a iodine rinse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQwheE7wJZY

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I got Covid in December 2020, took three weeks to get over but never had any lung problems. I got it the second time this past Saturday. Had fever, terrible body aches, cough, irritated throat and fatigue. I am about over it but the wife just got it.

So here are some tips. Buy a pulse oximeter and monitor your blood O2, if it starts dropping head to the hospital. Do breathing exercises and lay down as little as possible to keep it out of your lungs. Take Vitamins D, C, and zinc. Drink lots of water, rinse your nose with a iodine rinse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQwheE7wJZY

I'm currently at home with covid. What I've been experiencing is about the same as you. Breathing exercises work. I also have been taking mucinex and lots of fluids, has been keeping things from gunking up. Also when sleeping at night I spend some time on my stomach which helps. What has really surprised me though is how little sleep I've been getting. I am completely exhausted yet can't sleep, strange. Oh, and covid brain is a thing. My head feels "empty".

Posts: 125 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just asking…did any of you take Ivermectin? If not, why? Thanks and glad y’all are on the mend!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are doing well but depending on what type of covid and how your overall health is, covid can really take a toll on you. It kicked my butt for 2 weeks. I thank the good Lord no one in the family had any serious issues.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Glad you are doing better. My parents got the Delta variant earlier this year and had a rough go of it, but thankfully both pulled through.

I currently "have Covid". I had what I thought was a cold, runny nose, sore throat, drainage with a mild cough, that kind of thing. No fever or chills or anything like that. I lost my sense of taste and smell Monday night at work, so Tuesday after I woke up I went and got tested. Came back positive. So I'm now off work for 5 days, which is fine, but apart from the smell and taste thing (which is starting to return), you wouldn't even know I was sick.

I've been running a mile and a half every day out in the 10 degree weather, and walking another mile and a half with the dog, doing my regular workout routine, and been getting a lot of bullet casting and reloading done out in the garage while I try to stay away from the family. My wife has a horrible cough and is sicker than me, yet she and our two youngest tested negative. The older two kids have no symptoms whatsoever, and have not been tested.

I'm a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic, so I was kinda concerned about getting the 'Vid, but it hasn't even had a negative impact on my blood sugar numbers like the cold I had back in November did. I did get vacinated with Phizer 1 and 2 back in March and April, but no booster. This thing is weird and unpredictable. I kinda figured it was inevitable that I was going to get it eventually, I'm just grateful that I somehow managed to get a mild dose.

Posts: 9245 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was notified that I had been exposed on December 30th, so I got tested on December 31st and was positive. No symptoms until January 2nd, when I developed extreme fatigue, along with a low grade fever, headache, and body aches, as well as minor drainage and a slight cough. Battled that for 3 days, taking high doses of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc, along with Tylenol as needed. Those symptoms resolved on January 4th. The day after all those symptoms ended, I rapidly lost my taste and smell, which took about a week to return.

So altogether, relatively minor symptoms for ~3 days (comparable to the flu), followed by a week of no taste/smell. No breathing issues or lasting problems.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I had my bout of the wuflu over Thanksgiving and the absolute worst part for me was the loss of smell and taste. It was like forcing yourself to eat unseasoned oatmeal. The low grade fever for a few days, the being tired, the dry lingering cough were nothing compared to not being able to enjoy the annual feast.

Rename this thread “Covid taxi cab confessions”. It could be epic.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
It was like forcing yourself to eat unseasoned oatmeal.

Which, ironically, is mostly what I ate while I had no taste or smell. Plain oatmeal and protein shakes. Just something to get some calories in, a means to an end.

It was briefly fun to play around with, though... The physical burning/cooling sensations in your mouth from hot sauce or peppermints are interesting when completely detached from any flavor.

I did discover that pizza, one of my favorite foods of all time, is absolutely disgusting without any taste. Like chewing soggy, oily cardboard.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Glad you're getting past it, mine hasn't been nearly as bad. I started feeling sick last Wednesday and was full blown sick by Thursday, wife got sick Friday. She tested positive and I tested negative with home test kits. Her doctor wanted me tested for real and I was positive (home test kits are awesome). Mostly a flu for a few days, then down to a headcold but the last 2 days I went back the other way. So far today I'm feeling better and might be getting rid of it.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I think my condition made me susceptible to more severe symptoms. I am overweight and borderline diabetic. Also, I am not vaccinated. 4 days before I got sick my wife had it. She was out of it in bed for two days but recovered quickly after that. In the midst of it our daughter flew home for Christmas (she lives in Florida). She tested positive for it but never developed any symptoms.

I have lost weight! I came home from the hospital 25 pounds lighter. In the last two weeks at home I've kept going, am now down 30 by portion control and elimination of eating junk. I'd like to lose another 30. As I get my strength back to exercise more I think it will help. Losing weight should only help.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8658 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you had the Delta variant. Glad you're on the mend.

We broke down this year and had our family Christmas get-together. 15 people, hugging and kissing. It was glorious as we've not done that since this COVID crap started. Unfortunately, a few days later, 4 family members came down with confirmed COVID. I had symptoms. Chills then sweets, headache, body aches, runny nose (although that's a regular thing for me in winter) and just felt like shit for two days. Couldn't get tested so it's not officially confirmed. I'm guessing it was the Omicron version as the symptoms were very light as this COVID thing goes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had it early 2020 right as they were thinking it was pneumonia before the tests, I tested negative for the flu and pneumonia. I was treated for pneumonia regardless with little positive effects other than the oral and injected steroids. My case was mild and I was only severely sick for around a week with no need for a hospital stay even though I should have went.

When the antibody test was available in 2020, I tested positive for having been infected.

I still have the cough that has never left and the INSTANT there was a vaccine available in 2021, I got it. I absolutely never want to go through that ever again.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Just asking…did any of you take Ivermectin? If not, why? Thanks and glad y’all are on the mend!

I did not, some friends offered it but I did not think I needed it. I was considering mononclonial antibodies, there is a place near me that offers that treatment. Since it was really only bad one day (although I have felt bad all week), and my lungs were not affected I did not see the need for Ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine or the antibodies. If I would have felt as bad as I did last Sunday for more than one day I would have gone for one of these treatments.

Another FYI, co-morbidity is another factor that makes it worse, if you can reduce those now. I know it is hard for some already in bad health.

https://covidlonghaulers.com/

https://www.truthforhealth.org/

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm around lots and lots of kids, all day every day. They are disgusting disease vectors.

I have had all three COVID variants. The first variant almost put me in the hospital, but I got better with some meds called in by my doctor.

The other two variants were mild symptoms, like a common cold.

I did have a nasty cough for about 3-4 months and my son had the same nasty cough for about 8 months before it went away.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you're feeling better !!

this has been a tough one for sure :

miserable sickness for some -- a big nothing for others.

bottom line -- glad you're on the recovery !!

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re better,
I had it in the first week of Sept. fever, cough, loss of smell taste, run down, all of it. After a week I was recovering. My experience with.oss of taste and smell parallels Rouge’s. Everything was cardboard. But wait there’s more, some things smelled different. Coffee smells like some kind of chemical…I can’t tell you which or what but it’s not coffee….

Last week I began realizing I was smelling things again….only at maybe 5%. And only strong things like rosemary…but at a hint.

So maybe I will get my smell and taste back within a month…I’m hoping cause it’s been since Sept and I’m done with it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
My daughter and son-in-law both came down with Covid in June 2020. My grandson was negative as were my wife and I. They were down for about 3 weeks, and there was a 2 week period that they can remember nothing. Hit son-in-law hardest, but they're fine now.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have just recovered from a VERY mild case of Covid. Started showing symptoms on Fri the 14th. Sat had a slight fever, mild body aches, shortness of breath and got tired easily. I also had a bit of brain fog but no worse than you can get with a bad cold. The fever only lasted 1 day, shortness of breath and fatigue about 2 more. I still have a bit of congestion in my chest and head (about like a sinus infection) and a slight cough but nothing more.

I did experience a diminished sense of smell and tase for a few days. Also, the tase of some liquids changed dramatically.

All in all, I had a very mild case. I have had the vaccine, not due a booster until April. I did not take any ivermectin. I know it is popular with a lot of people but I don't see any benefit in it.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post