SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pythons, Invasive and Hungry, Are Making Their Way North in Florida
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pythons, Invasive and Hungry, Are Making Their Way North in Florida Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Maybe 55 years back, as a youngster, we went to Catskill Game Farm, back in New York. They had a 24 foot python in a elevated, octagon glass house. Never have I seen such a serpent. On line I have seen those banana yellow looking monsters which were pets at one time. I fail to see the attraction to something which can kill a human once it gains size and strength.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't understand why pet stores are allowed to sell non-native species. There are pet stores here where you can get dozens and dozens of non native snakes, lionfish, tarantulas, other reptiles, and any idiot can buy them.......then when they have to move, they just let them go.......

No we have a huge lionfish, iguana, and python problem.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For the first time, my wife saw an iguana on our side of the river last week. I’ve seen them in Fort Myers and on Gasparilla, but never here.

Pet store don’t sell native species because it’s illegal as all get out. Go figure.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
There are benefits of living in the harsh winter climate of northern Minnesota. Not having to deal with those damn things is one of them. We have our garter snakes and been told of timber rattlers but never seen one. Garter snakes are good for the rodent population and scaring the crap out of my daughter when I can catch one and show it to her up close. Sudden like... Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Why can't we teach them to eat Mexicans and other central american's? Just other invasive species.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm sure they can, especially the smaller, younger ones.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Shame the Pythons cant catch and eat the Wild Boars!

They do - that contribute to why they are spreading........

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Too bad they aren't eating the cane toads.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Billions to build a wall along our southern border.

Would it be cheaper to dig a moat and fill it with the pythons?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The History Channels Swamp People shows people going out and catching them. Of course there's a lot of drama, They did get bit and the snakes are alive. They get like $800 a day.

One guy was carrying a sack of Boas and he spotting a snake. Turned out to be an Anaconda.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"But most experts believe the pythons established a reproducing population in the Everglades sometime after Hurricane Andrew—a category 5 storm that devastated the state in August 1992. It was during that storm that a python breeding facility was destroyed, releasing countless snakes into the nearby swamps." How Burmese Pythons Took Over the Florida Everglades

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I really don't understand why pet stores are allowed to sell non-native species. There are pet stores here where you can get dozens and dozens of non native snakes, lionfish, tarantulas, other reptiles, and any idiot can buy them.......then when they have to move, they just let them go.......

No we have a huge lionfish, iguana, and python problem.

Mureica, freedom. Allowed? Do you really want more government? We have far too much already.

Yes, morons getting invasive pets and not controlling them can be a big problem. The same can be said for Pit Bull dogs, though I have met many that are sweethearts when properly trained and socialized.

Another parallel: There seem to be a lot of morons or mentally unhinged people doing stupid or bad things with guns. Should we have the government collect all the guns to solve this problem? Nah, didn’t think so.

Maybe when there is a problem (and I agree that invasive species can be a problem, even those imported by the government for erosion control, oops Soil Conservation Service, looking at you.) we shouldn’t immediately rush to ask the government to solve it for us. Just a thought…

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Before a soldier gets his Ranger tab drop him into the swamp and have a 10 python collection bag be filled before he's awarded the tab.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Snakeskin belts, boots and holsters anyone?

So, you're saying "Go for the full Monty."

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post