SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pythons, Invasive and Hungry, Are Making Their Way North in Florida
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pythons, Invasive and Hungry, Are Making Their Way North in Florida Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
file:///C:/Users/15402/Documents/1%20%20%20%20%20Temp/NB-80-001_article-90439_en_1.pdf
long report

Burmese pythons in Florida:
A synthesis of biology, impacts, and management tools

Burmese pythons (Python molurus bivittatus) are native to southeastern Asia, however, there is an established invasive population inhabiting much of southern Florida throughout the Greater Everglades Ecosystem. Pythons have severely impacted native species and ecosystems in Florida and represent one
of the most intractable invasive-species management issues across the globe. The difficulty stems from a
unique combination of inaccessible habitat and the cryptic and resilient nature of pythons that thrive in
the subtropical environment of southern Florida, rendering them extremely challenging to detect

Although Burmese pythons were found in the Greater Everglades as early as 1979
(Snow et al. 2007a), they were considered individual escapes or releases until the
late 1990s and early 2000s when confirmation of a reproducing population in ENP
prompted their recognition as an established invasive species (Meshaka et al. 2000).
In the four decades since the first individual was recorded, the python population has
grown and spread, consuming native wildlife and altering the food web in the Everglades

Detecting pythons, which like to hide in marshes and thrive in remote habitats, is so challenging that experts do not know how many exist in Florida, though they estimate that there are at least tens of thousands. More than 18,000 have been removed since 2000, including 2,500 in 2022, according to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0....html?smid=url-share

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Snakeskin belts, boots and holsters anyone?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Why did they allow them into the country in the first place.

Then there are the invasive plants like the Russian or Autumn Olive that the VA Highway Department plants for soil erosion.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Florida just needs a little alteration of the natural. Change the DNA of the wolverine so they grow to about, oh 10 feet in length, maybe 500 pounds and program them to love python meat.. Big Grin. That wasn't so hard.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Snakeskin belts, boots and holsters anyone?

Yes! Put out a bounty on them!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that a dead python had been found in FL. It had eaten an alligator, but the gator had partially clawed its way out of the snake’s stomach.

Both the snake and the gator died, but the thought of any creature that could eat a gator is terrifying.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
there is a bounty

Dustin Crum, who has been hunting pythons for a decade, took home $1,500 for capturing the longest snake in the competition, an 11-footer. He won in the same category in 2021 after catching a 15-footer.

“We started out doing this stuff as a hobby and just couldn’t believe we could catch giant constrictors like that in the wild,” said Mr. Crum, 42, who now hunts pythons full time. The state pays hunters $50 per foot for the first four feet of snake and $25 for each subsequent foot, he said, as well as an hourly rate.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Can ya eat them?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
sdy, I'm relieved to hear that. Thank you!

ETA, since they are not native, I'd think killing them on sight would be appropriate. But that's me. I'm not a snake fan!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shame the Pythons cant catch and eat the Wild Boars!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Can ya eat them?

Yeah, they eat 'em. Taste like chicken.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bounty: Capture, not kill?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Florida just needs a little alteration of the natural. Change the DNA of the wolverine so they grow to about, oh 10 feet in length, maybe 500 pounds and program them to love python meat.. Big Grin. That wasn't so hard.
Yeah what could go wrong.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
there is a bounty

Dustin Crum, who has been hunting pythons for a decade, took home $1,500 for capturing the longest snake in the competition, an 11-footer. He won in the same category in 2021 after catching a 15-footer.

“We started out doing this stuff as a hobby and just couldn’t believe we could catch giant constrictors like that in the wild,” said Mr. Crum, 42, who now hunts pythons full time.
I hope you don't have to use your bare hands! What caliber is thought suitable for these? I think I'd want to be carrying a 12ga. with 00 buckshot at least.

quote:
The state pays hunters $50 per foot for the first four feet of snake and $25 for each subsequent foot, he said, as well as an hourly rate.
Dammmit! These are four four-foot snakes, not one 16-footer!

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I hope you don't have to use your bare hands! What caliber is thought suitable for these? I think I'd want to be carrying a 12ga. with 00 buckshot at least.

You just need a headshot, a .22 or a 410 with #4 (.13) to BBB or T (.20) would work, 20gage or higher is just a larger payload

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Any chance the migration could be steered further north towards Washington?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they can, especially the smaller, younger ones.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Shame the Pythons cant catch and eat the Wild Boars!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They like to,but they can't deal with the cold.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
They are already over run with snakes.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
These damn things are eating everything small enough to swallow. Sadly, they are in Florida to stay. Check out Python Cowboy on YouTube; he has caught some real monsters in the ‘Glades.

I was there for work in 2019 and saw several smaller ones dead along Alligator Alley, and a fairly large one I couldn’t run over before it hit the brush. They are a scourge that we are stuck with, unfortunately. If I lived there I’d slaughter every one I could find.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post