SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Almost the end of an era of living in the midwest
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost the end of an era of living in the midwest Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe it's now December 9 and I just got a deal on my house yesterday morning. With the real estate market tanking, I went through several price reductions. It's been a roller coaster for sure, but the buyers have cash (from just selling their Florida home) and want to move back to their roots. Closing is scheduled for December 20. All of a sudden, rush rush.

Home inspection happened this morning and they thought it was a great house!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38695 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the retirement! Sorry to hear you're leaving the great state of Indiana, but seeing as you're in Gary, I can't say that I blame you. Since you went to the Maritime academy and worked out of Gary, did your job involve working with shipping on the great lakes? That's an area that has always fascinated me and seems like it would have been an interesting career path.

Regardless, best of luck with the sale of your house and the move...I hope you have a fulfilling retirement!

Posts: 8599 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the sale and all the best for what comes next. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Great to hear you have a buyer and it sounds like the sale is going through ok. Where in SC do you have property?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I would Like to get a coffee or
Beer before you leave! Congrats on your relocation!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Congrats on the retirement! Sorry to hear you're leaving the great state of Indiana, but seeing as you're in Gary, I can't say that I blame you. Since you went to the Maritime academy and worked out of Gary, did your job involve working with shipping on the great lakes? That's an area that has always fascinated me and seems like it would have been an interesting career path.

Regardless, best of luck with the sale of your house and the move...I hope you have a fulfilling retirement!

Hobart actually, but close enough to Gary....where I worked. And yes, my job was marine related. I'm extremely thankful for my career. Interesting, challenging, world travel (with prior companies) and lucrative. There were downsides, but I don't think I'd have changed a thing.

Thank you!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38695 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Great to hear you have a buyer and it sounds like the sale is going through ok. Where in SC do you have property?

Hilton Head Island.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:

Thanks, Ed. We can try to give it a shot. But I do think I'll be running my ass off the next week. Big Grin

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I’m sure you will be! Always more to be done than there is time.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:

If I could jam it into my schedule, I'd love to join you guys.

Posts: 11227 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Hilton Head Island.

Nice 6guns, a great location for golfing, moderate climate, and probably a lot of other things, boating as well.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Ed and Brad, it would be great to share a beer, but I doubt I'll have time. But with the back and forth I've done, I can see me visiting the midwest in the future.

ridenv, thanks. I was looking for a conservative state in the south with favorable taxes for retirees and ocean nearby. I think I found a good spot. Not all warm in winter, but certainly moderate as you say. I definitely see lots of biking in my future there and the thought of taking golf after many years of playing a little has crossed my mind.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Good fortune on your relocation. I lived in SC (Sumter) for 4 years in the 1970s. They are good people.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement and impending move! My retirement also came as a bit of a surprise but I never looked back and it's working out just fine.

Wishing you all the best!

Posts: 7317 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've really been enjoying retirement, though I was approached recently by a former co-worker who is now part owner of a naval architecture company. He asked if I'd like to do some part time work and I may take him up on it. It would involve travel which I never objected to and possible foreign travel. Mostly design and survey work on ships.

I hope avoid the really cold weather each winter. We'll see how that works out.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Saturday morning I left NW Indiana with a final trailer load of stuff. It wasn't easy saying goodbye to the friends I'd made in the 24 years I'd worked and lived there.

Now time for a new chapter....and to change my profile location.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
New chapter new adventures, congratulations on your retirement. Safe travels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post