SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Carolina legislature overrides governor's veto on bill scrapping pistol permit system. UPDATE: After pushback on vote Democrat Switches Parties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina legislature overrides governor's veto on bill scrapping pistol permit system. UPDATE: After pushback on vote Democrat Switches Parties Login/Join 
posted
Proponents said sheriffs no longer need to screen candidates due to updates in the national background check system.

https://justthenews.com/govern..._campaign=newsletter

The North Carolina state legislature on Wednesday overrode Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper's veto on a bill that scrapped the longstanding system requiring residents to obtain permits from local sheriffs before purchasing handguns.

The House enacted the bill Wednesday in a 71-46 vote one day after the Senate overrode Cooper's veto, according to The Associated Press.

The permit repeal immediately went into effect. Proponents said sheriffs no longer need to screen candidates due to updates in the national background check system. They also said permits do not deter crime.

Cooper and Democratic politicians warned the permit repeal would enable more dangerous people to privately purchase weapons without background checks.

"The enacted bill also would allow guns on some school properties where religious services are held," the wire service reported.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, talk about an antiquated system. All that stuff did was to make it hard for people to build gun collections.

I spent quite a bit of time in NC on a work transfer with a company.

For our members who live in and love NC, forgive me, but I found the place to be really odd.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Really happy that Pooper got overridden. How he got elected twice is beyond me outside of fraud. I've had a CCW so permits have been a thing of the past but its a step in the right direction.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
NC system has always seemed odd to me for a mostly red state.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pistol permit system in NC originated from Jim Crowe laws. Allowed the county Sheriff to decide who was worthy to own a pistol.

The Dems always want to keep their control.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
It struck me as neither fish nor fowl. When I was there, I did not feel as if I were in the South.

posted Hide Post
I think NC was the last to go Union.
Maybe you felt history and didn’t know it. A 6th sense.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
For our members who live in and love NC, forgive me, but I found the place to be really odd.

I agree

Moved to NC in 1996. It is a bit of an odd state politically. Some areas strong blue, some strong Red. We tend to be a swing state in national elections. It's not uncommon to have state and local elections going Democratic but national elections going Republican.

Comments on the permit
The pistol permit thing was really a dinosaur. As mentioned above, it's a Jim Crowe era law that gave the sheriff way too much control. When I first arrived Sheriff's could add their own rules on top of the statutory requirements and the Wake County Sheriff (think Raleigh NC), required that three people show up with you when you applied for the pistol permit to attest to your good character. This required everyone to travel downtown, find parking, etc. That Sheriff was voted out and the new Sheriff did away with that requirement. A few years later the law was changed so the Sheriff couldn't make up their own rules. But, they could still deny a permit on rather thin grounds. There was one Sheriff that refused a court order to issue a pistol permit. No accountability in the system for that action.

Pistol permits were good for 5 years and you could generally get 5. They were like $5 each. The only good thing was that having the purchase permit allowed you to bypass the federal NICS process.

You did not need pistol purchase permits if you have a concealed handgun permit. The concealed handgun permit also allows you to bypass NICS.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent news!!! This made my day! Cool

I might have to buy that HK VP-9 that’s been tempting me in celebration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While stationed at Camp Lejune, NC (all four times) military personnel had to get permission from their command. This meant getting a local form (the PX had them) and getting it signed off by PMO, Medical and your Commanding Officer. Then you took that to the Sheriffs Office for their background check and turned in for processing.

Of course you could get a CHL which involved the afore mentioned paper drill and freed you up to buy handguns without a permit.

I do not miss those days

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

"The enacted bill also would allow guns on some school properties where religious services are held," the wire service reported.

Seems like mentally disturbed criminals are not only bringing guns to school properties where religious services are held, but using them to kill children. What is so wrong with allowing us law abiding folks at least a chance at defending against those who target Churches in their hate crimes that never get investigated as hate crimes??.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
So glad to see it gone! Some of those local sheriffs used that power like some mini-dictators, deciding who they would issue a permit to and who they wouldn't, depending on whether they liked the person or not. It should have been gotten rid of years ago.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, North Carolina!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
It struck me as neither fish nor fowl. When I was there, I did not feel as if I were in the South.
Thank you for using "as if" (instead of "like") and the conditional subjunctive.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Say what? You're thanking me for what?

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
So does this have any effect on the ability to get a concealed carry permit. I still have my VA permit but need to get a NC one now that we’ve moved here but as I understand it I will have to take an 8 hour class and apply to our local sherif who has the final say…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Say what? You're thanking me for what?
Using correct grammar. It is refreshing these days. It's just a plus to go with my agreement with your posts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Only place I've ever been in NC was Fort Bragg/Fayetteville. I don't care to ever go back.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Only place I've ever been in NC was Fort Bragg/Fayetteville. I don't care to ever go back.

As most military cities, you wouldn't lol. Don't wrap up the whole state with those.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
So does this have any effect on the ability to get a concealed carry permit. I still have my VA permit but need to get a NC one now that we’ve moved here but as I understand it I will have to take an 8 hour class and apply to our local sherif who has the final say…

Doesn’t affect the CCW. You still need the class and turn in the certificate to the sheriff…then you wait…and hope your sheriff isn’t some slug who will drag it out till the last day.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post