SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Carolina legislature overrides governor's veto on bill scrapping pistol permit system. UPDATE: After pushback on vote Democrat Switches Parties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina legislature overrides governor's veto on bill scrapping pistol permit system. UPDATE: After pushback on vote Democrat Switches Parties Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
So does this have any effect on the ability to get a concealed carry permit. I still have my VA permit but need to get a NC one now that we’ve moved here but as I understand it I will have to take an 8 hour class and apply to our local sherif who has the final say…

Doesn’t affect the CCW. You still need the class and turn in the certificate to the sheriff…then you wait…and hope your sheriff isn’t some slug who will drag it out till the last day.

But the CCW permit is different because it is black and white what the disqualifications are. The long wait is a thing though, especially in urban areas with commie Sheriffs. But they have to issue it.

The purchase permit thing was subjective. You could qualify/receive a CCW but the sheriff could deny a purchase permit for the same person. It was ridiculous. I remember examples like those given above, and requiring letters from pastors, etc.

And to cap it off, I have NEVER, not one single time, heard of anyone actually being charged for the rampant violations of getting guns illegally and being used in crimes without a purchase permit. It was only used as a tactic to slow down/control law abiding citizens.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
So does this have any effect on the ability to get a concealed carry permit. I still have my VA permit but need to get a NC one now that we’ve moved here but as I understand it I will have to take an 8 hour class and apply to our local sherif who has the final say…

Doesn’t affect the CCW. You still need the class and turn in the certificate to the sheriff…then you wait…and hope your sheriff isn’t some slug who will drag it out till the last day.

But the CCW permit is different because it is black and white what the disqualifications are. The long wait is a thing though, especially in urban areas with commie Sheriffs. But they have to issue it.

The purchase permit thing was subjective. You could qualify/receive a CCW but the sheriff could deny a purchase permit for the same person. It was ridiculous. I remember examples like those given above, and requiring letters from pastors, etc.

And to cap it off, I have NEVER, not one single time, heard of anyone actually being charged for the rampant violations of getting guns illegally and being used in crimes without a purchase permit. It was only used as a tactic to slow down/control law abiding citizens.

Thanks Chongo. In talking to one of my neighbors he said that the Sheriff's permit requirement was a throw back to the Jim Crow era in order to keep black people from obtaining firearms…no wonder it had to go.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how much our Democrat friends in Raleigh supported the racist law. True colors...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They supported this law because they know that it made purchasing guns a pain in the ass. Anything which puts a roadblock in the path of legal gun purchases, they're all for it. The law made amassing a gun collection difficult and that's why they liked it.

Leftists are the same everywhere.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
It amazes me how much our Democrat friends in Raleigh supported the racist law. True colors...

They’re just supporting the party…from 150+ years ago. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was stationed at Bragg for 3 years and my uncle and his family retired there and were there for 20+ years. Fayetteville is crappy even by military town standards. There are a lot of great outdoor places in NC from the Outer Banks to the great state parks in the mountains in the west. The problem is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Asheville are so liberal that it just about dominates the state.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
life long NC'er and it is a very odd place, extremes on both ends of the spectrum for sure. the feel for being in the south as most of us know it is really dependent on your location, maybe more than other states down south, Virginia could be the exception.
I live in a blue county/city but grew up in a red more traditional southern area, think Mayberry,
thats a 40 minute drive away but feels like a different timezone.

I was very glad to see that antiquated pistol purchase permit system go away.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FloydNC:
life long NC'er and it is a very odd place, extremes on both ends of the spectrum for sure. the feel for being in the south as most of us know it is really dependent on your location, maybe more than other states down south, Virginia could be the exception.
Yeah, I was there with my wife for about 18 months at the behest of the corporation I was working for. My work took me over most of the central and western part of the state. Parts of NC are beautiful. My wife and I spent our first wedding anniversary in Asheville. This was before the town was completely taken over by leftist whackos and the homeless. What a lovely memory.

In my time there, I never felt connected to the place because as you said, you never know what to expect. It didn't feel at all like the South to me. Outside of work, I didn't manage to make any friends while there, but to be fair, I didn't put much effort into it because I knew we wouldn't be staying. Many weekends, we drove back to Atlanta and stayed with friends.

Politics played much less of a role in my life then, and I think most everyone can say the same, so visiting Chapel Hill was pleasant. I loved all those bookstores on Franklin Street next to UNC. I depleted their inventory quite a bit. I hear that most of those stores are now gone.

posted Hide Post
I was thinking of moving to Boone, NC in retirement, but given its proximity to Asheville I had to drop that idea.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
I was thinking of moving to Boone, NC in retirement, but given its proximity to Asheville I had to drop that idea.

+

Greetings from Boone. Asheville is almost 3 hours away.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:

+

Greetings from Boone. Asheville is almost 3 hours away.

Agree with Jeff, totally different feel.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin and his wife have a house on the back side of the mountain from The Hebron Colony in Boone. I spent quite a bit of time there in 80s and 90s.

I understand its a hike to Asheville from Boone, but I remembered a lot of people from Asheville being up in Boone on the weekends. I am currently trying to plan my escape from the Houston burbs and don’t want to go anywhere that is even to close to the kind of politics we have here. Think Shelia Jackson Lee….

+

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The he problem with Boone is the App State students. They were hardcore “progressives” when I was there in the early 90s and they’re drowning in the kool aid now.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
North Carolina Democrat Switches Parties, Giving Republicans Veto-Proof Majority

https://slaynews.com/news/nort...ign=daily-newsletter

A North Carolina Democrat has reached her limit with her party and announced that she is switching to the Republicans.

State Rep. Tricia Cotham, a Democrat from Charlotte, won her seat in a district that voted for Biden by 23 points.

She has just switched to the GOP.

This move gives the Republicans a veto-proof majority over Democrat Gov. Roy Cooper.

The fallout happened when Cotham skipped a vote to override Cooper’s veto of a GOP gun law which allowed the bill to pass.

Her Democrat colleagues went ballistic and now they have no power in a crucial swing state.

Rep. Cecil Brockman, a moderate Democrat, didn’t blame Cotham for the move: “I think she just wanted to do what’s best for her district and when you’re constantly talked about and trashed — especially the way that we have been over the past few weeks — I think this is what happens.

Gov. Cooper said: “Rep. Cotham’s votes on women’s reproductive freedom, election laws, LGBTQ rights, and strong public schools will determine the direction of the state we love.

“It’s hard to believe she would abandon these long-held principles and she should still vote the way she has always said she would vote when these issues arise, regardless of party affiliation.”

More at link

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Gov. Cooper said: “Rep. Cotham’s votes on women’s reproductive freedom, election laws, LGBTQ rights, and strong public schools will determine the direction of the state we love.

“It’s hard to believe she would abandon these long-held principles and she should still vote the way she has always said she would vote when these issues arise, regardless of party affiliation.”
By placing the responsibility for all at her feet, he jeopardizes her safety and the safety of her family. He has to know this, and it's a reprehensible thing to do. And it doesn't work that way, anyway; hers is but a single vote. If the governor thinks that she alone controls the destiny of the state, then he should declare her to be empress of the state and resign.