SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thanks, question answered.
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thanks, question answered. Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
IMO - don't go.
Don't give any money to California.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Cost benefit analysis. Weigh the cost of the trip including financially, time spent, and having to spend time with extended family (uuugh) versus the amount of bitching and problems at home it will cause.

In case you were wondering, the possible benefit is NOT dealing with the 2nd part.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Play the long game….happy wife, happy life. Try and develop a good attitude going into the event so you have fun. (Disclaimer: I really dislike big family get togethers too but see previous sentences)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've been to CA 100x and went unarmed maybe twice and only because I didn't want to have to check a gun upon flying home. I've ridden my bike there as many times as driven my car. I've even been pulled over by police a few times while carrying there. Concealed means concealed and don't ask, don't tell. Laguna is a very nice area and kind of secluded, definitely not near any ghetto.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling this more about spending time with your wife's family that it is about being armed.

I get that. After all, it is your anniversary as well which does give you a say. Hell with it...stay home. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever refused to go to one of here family reunions? If yes, how was the atmosphere around your house after the refusal?

I don't get along with my wife's family at all but I attend all of her reunions. Makes for good harmony in the Bytes house and it only costs one weekend of me biting my lip.

Plus Laguna Beach is very nice.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I've been to CA 100x and went unarmed maybe twice and only because I didn't want to have to check a gun upon flying home. I've ridden my bike there as many times as driven my car. I've even been pulled over by police a few times while carrying there. Concealed means concealed and don't ask, don't tell.

Yep.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
$58 round trip on Frontier for the 1.5 hour flight from Pheonix to John Wayne. $4 for the bus for the 15 miles from John Wayne to Laguna Beach. Problem solved.

Or you could save the bus fare and have the Fam pick her up at the airport.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If I don't feel safe I don't go,
If she is going anyway you have to go to keep her safe.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Your over reaction meter is at a solid 4.8

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I'd go as a way to keep family peace. Also gives you a chit to say to the Mrs. "I'm going deer hunting in Wyoming in October with a friend. You';;nee to take care of my dog while I'm gone."

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If your excuse to not go is because you don't want to go anywhere unarmed, that's pretty weak. If you're relatively healthy and don't look like a target, you can compensate. You have your car, unless it's a Yugo. You can use a cane. California has liberal laws for knife carrying. You can conceal carry a folding knife of any length except in Los Angeles, City of Commerce, Oakland, and San Francisco where the maximum length is 3".

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Your geography is kind of off, yes you are wrong.

Portions of the circled area is where you should stay away from.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Your over reaction meter is at a solid 4.8

If out of ten, then you're probably about right. If you're saying out of five, then Jesus Christ, guys, it's not like I shouted and threw stuff.

Look, the vibes in my house have been chill for hours and hours now. Thanks for all the input, but I think I've gotten enough.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Locked at the OP's request.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post