SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6MT Forester or Crosstrek? Opinions/Experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MT Forester or Crosstrek? Opinions/Experience? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
All the manual trans talk in the other thread(s) has me looking, after the R53 Mini was a no-go.

Stumbled on a few local-ish Foresters & Crosstreks with the 6MT (2016+/2018+)
Only manual Subarus I've driven were WRX/STi or BRZ

How's the non-turbo H4 when paired with the 6MT?
I've driven a handful of CVT Subarus, had a rental Impreza in CA that I actually was really surprised with, nearly bought an Outback a few years ago, and my parents have a newer OB Onyx with the turbo H4.

Either the Forester or Crosstrek that I've seen would slice my car note in half, at least, though the MPG is about the same as whet I get in the Explorer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned both the Crosstrek (2 and still own both) and the Forester. All 3 had the CVT. I have never understood the CVT hate. Granted I only have CVT in Subara vehicles. It works well, is extremely smooth, and plenty responsive. I have read on the internet that they require much more maintenance and they suck in general. My sister has a 13 Impreza which is basically a Crosstrek and has had zero issues.

My input is that the bigger 2.5 is 5he better engine. In the Crosstrek it is bigger and weighs less than the Forester so it is noticeably peppier. You can’t race anybody and win but I have no issues with its acceleration.

Personally I love the 2.5 Crosstrek. Great car. I haven’t owned a manual in years so I can’t speak to that in Subarus.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A 2016 or 2018 Crosstrek will have the weaker 2.0L engine. It looks like they didn't start using the 2.5 in the Crosstrek until 2021.

My ex-wife had a 2015ish Crosstrek that I disliked immensely. Partly due to it being noticeably underpowered, especially on the highway. Partly due to not being built for a 6' person. I hated riding with her, because even with the seat lowered and decently reclined, every bump we hit my head would hit the ceiling. She could fit in it just fine, but even she grew to not like it (especially the lack of power), and ended up selling it in favor of a WRX.

I owned a 2016 Forester for ~6 years, although mine was a CVT and not a manual. Its 2.5L engine was better than the Crosstrek's 2.0, even with the additional weight, and although it still lacked a bit in performance it was fine for a grocery getter and the power was on par with just about every other non-turbo car in its category. (They're basically all underpowered.) Importantly, the interior was noticeably larger and more comfortable than the Crosstrek. I also appreciated the significantly larger cargo space, with it being able to hold an impressive amount of stuff if needed.

So unless you're on the smaller side, and don't mind a noticeably underpowered car, I'd go with the Forester over the Crosstrek. But then I don't have any experience with the 2021+ Crosstrek with the bigger engine and redesigned body. They very well could have solved my complaints by now.

Posts: 32543 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I remember driving an early Crosstrek when it was the XV with the 5MT & it was not a good trans in it, shift throws like a 3/4 ton truck & pretty slow.

I've driven a few Foresters, both N/A & the XT, but the XT was an 07, so it was the old automatic not the CVT.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My biggest complaint with all the Crosstrek’s is the front seats are lacking in basically everything. My wife refuses to take my car on any trip longer than an hour or two. It doesn’t bother me but she is right, the seats are underwhelming.

I thought the 2.5 became available around 19. I could be wrong. In the smaller Crosstrek the 2.5 is plenty peppy. 182 hp isn’t fast but it’s good enough and the gas mileage is reasonable. 16.2 gallon tank goes a long way. I’m not 6 foot so I have never had a headroom issue but agree that the Forester is and feels way bigger inside. Also the Forester has a fantastic sunroof. It’s huge.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My old college roommate has a Crosstrek which must be seven or eight years old now. He likes it a lot. No serious problems.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I had a 2018 Crosstrek 6MT and loved it. We gave it to my son.

The little engine does quite well. We live at 7400 ft elevation and it definitely has less pep here than down in the valley at 4300 ft elevation. But it did great all the time.

I would not get a CVT in any brand including Subaru. But their 6MT is bullet proof and fun to drive.

Change the rear differential fluid and trans/front diff fluid frequently. I did mine at 30k miles. I believe the owner manual says check it but doesn't specify a replacement interval. It needs to be changed.

Using a little bit of hypermile strategy, when feasible, I was able to average well over 30mpg.

Posts: 9475 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
How was the 6MT? I ask because the 5MT in the XV was bad enough to immediately sour me on the car, mushy, long throws, very bland.

Also good to know the MPG can be better than expected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,