SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a such thing as a quality corner shower kit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a such thing as a quality corner shower kit? Login/Join 
posted
I probably know the answer to this but I am hoping someone has some first hand experience with a specific model or brand.

I am looking to replace my crappy 36" x 36" "neo-angle corner shower similar to this: Corner Shower Kit

Things I hate about these stalls:
- Crappy flexing bases that eventually crack and leak (they make composite ramps that can hold up a truck but cant make a solid base?)

- Poor design where the sides of the shower don't overlap the base and require all kinds of caulking and maintenance (I have a tub/shower combo in another bathroom that has all overlapping panels and requires no caulk, would love this).

I know I am not going to get a luxury level shower in a kit but I am hoping I could at least get a unit that solves the issues above.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason you cant build a tile shower. They make corner pans and doors. It would much better quality than a plastic kit.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend the money once on a tile shower and use the Schluter Systems products to build the base and underlayment . We just had a shower built and I have zero concerns about leaks and water damage .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at Wedi shower products. I compared it to Schluter, and though a little pricier it actually saves on labor costs. Also end result is much fewer seams.

We then tiled over it, and I have zero concerns about it leaking. If I ever have to do our second bath, or in any other home in the future I will use Wedi again.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I installed a Sterling 4 piece tub/shower foe a friend about 6 years ago and was impressed with it. At the time I thought the quality was excellent and everything overlapped requiring no caulk at all. I ran some around the top where it met the walls but that's it. I think Sterling is Kohler if it's still around and they had standalone shower stalls.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had really good service out of the Sterling products!! Have used them in several rental units and they just hold up well! Not sure if the make a corner shower.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I just bought and installed this exact kit in my basement 5 months ago.

home depot glacier bay shower

It has proven to be very good so far. Used 3 to 5 days a week.

I used a cement like non expanding material Forgot the name sorry, and filled the base cavity with it so the base does not flex at all even with 2 people showering at the same time. It will make it a permanent install, you wont be able to remove the base to fix drainage issues should any arise without having to get a new base.

The shower walls are tricky. I don't know why they don't just make them flat so you can glue them direct to the wallboard. I had to install some more sheetrock behind the shower wall to build it out a half inch so that the shower wall would be firm and not flex. I learned this from doing research prior to install and it solves all issues. I also filled some of the gaps from the shower wall ledges with the cement like material I used in the base to remove the flex from being hollow molds.

With those things in mind, the shower is solid. I can put my feet up on the lower ledge from the wall and not worry about it flexing or cracking.

The sliding glass doors are excellent but such a pain in the ass if you forget to rinse them after a shower or two, you'll be cleaning windows a lot if you don't want people to think your grimmy.

I feel like all the showers have the same faults. You just need to fill them to remove the flex.

The install with myself and my cousin who is a handyman was easy, maybe 2 hours start to finish with a day in between for the base filler to cure.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Have had really good service out of the Sterling products!! Have used them in several rental units and they just hold up well! Not sure if the make a corner shower.

Yes, Sterling is great, my upstairs tub and shower is a Sterling.

The only problem is they only make a 39" corner unit and I need a 36" (bathroom is tiny and door opening is in the way of anything bigger).

Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sterling is actually owned by Kohler and they DO MAKE (or they DID MAKE) several models of corner shower units - at several different price points. Now you KNOW the reputation of Kohler, so need I say more about that? Now there are several different configurations of corner shower units.... some have 3 "straight" sides, some have 2 "straight" sides and a heavy curved glass door, etc, etc, etc. Your concern seems to center largely on the base, so I would advise you to shop far & wide for a "solid" base, rather than a vacumn-formed one. And you may be interested to know this (it's my estimate): About 80% of the shower doors that are developed and prototyped are NOT sold on the market today. Just an interesting fact that bowled me over when I went to work for them some 30 years ago.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I tore the old unit out to force myself to get it done.

Could not find a name anywhere on the old shower base, probably a good move for whatever company made it, knowing full well it was a terrible, cheap design.

I looked at Sterling units but the smallest they make in this configuration is a 39" and it wont fit in this tiny bathroom because of the door location.

I looked at the Schluter and Wedi systems that were suggested and agree this is probably the right way to do it although more time consuming.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
I looked at the Schluter and Wedi systems that were suggested and agree this is probably the right way to do it

Definitely. If you're a homeowner who's wanting to do it right and have it last dang near forever, there's not reason not to go this route.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
"maxx" - if I remember correctly the "straight sides" I mentioned are actually composed of TWO panes of glass overlapped in a fashion that keeps water from seeping out of the unit. Now it is true that the door is a pre-determined and pre-cut size, so there's nothing to be done about that... but it seems to me that it would be possible to reduce the size of the unit by adjusting the size of the side panels. The only wild card in this situation is the size of the base, and it has already been said & agreed to that it would be BEST to find a "solid" base & use that instead of the thermoformed one that comes with the "kit" - no?

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post