SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Ship an AR Lower to be Engraved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Ship an AR Lower to be Engraved Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Those of you who have shipped an AR15 lower to be engraved (for an SBR), how did you ship it?

Do you have to go to a UPS hub and declare it or can it just be boxed and sent from the post office?

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
It's a serialized lower. It's the only part of an AR that's a gun. Therefore, shipping rules apply.

Now... if the question is whether it's a rifle or a handgun, that could be an interesting question. As long as it's a rifle, I bet you could probably make a great argument that you can ship it as such (via USPS).

Honestly not sure whether SBR counts as a rifle for USPS shipping purposes. Probably does, though.

If the lower is a pistol, you had better go UPS or FedEx.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A serial numbered part like a lower is considered a firearm by the ATF. Below is a link to ATF's website answering your question.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...gh-us-postal-service

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-paid USPS flat rate box with proper insurance. Drop it off at my FFL and he puts it in the mail at no additional cost. Pretty simple if you have a FFL that is a reasonable person (no work really for him).

I put his company name, his name and company address as the shipper. I give it to him with the box unsealed in case he needs to add anything inside the box.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
It's a rifle. Ship it by US Mail.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
It's a rifle. Ship it by US Mail.

Ding Ding Ding.....just get some insurance on it and track it....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Okay, you are not going to like this.

First, ACCORDING TO THE US POSTAL SERVICE A SHORT-BARRELLED RIFLE IS A HANDGUN.

AND A NON-LICENSEE CANNOT SHIP A HANDGUN VIA THE US MAIL!

I'M NOT KIDDING.

KEEP READING.

I assume the reason for engraving is you have "manufactured" a SBR from an existing receiver. I am also assuming that you have the tax stamp in hand, hence the decision to engrave the "manufacturer's name and place of manufacture" on the receiver.

So, it is now an SBR. It does not matter if it has a barrel > 16" or no barrel at all, it is in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) as an SBR and unless you turn in the tax stamp to BATFE, it is an SBR always.

As to shipping, the USPS is off the table. Per USPS Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, Section 43, Firearms, Paragraph 431.2 Handguns:

quote:
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns. The following definitions apply:

• Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm which has a short stock, and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 431.1, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

• Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

So, the USPS considers your registered SBR to be a handgun.

Per 18 USC 1715, a non-licensee is prohibited from shipping a "handgun" (including SBRs, SBS, and any other firearm capable of being concealed about the person. Should you disregard this prohibition, if caught, because you knowingly deposited for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. Put simply, you loose your right to own a firearm of any kind.

This means you have UPS or FEDEX as choices for shipping.

FEDEX. Fuck'em. They don't want your business.

UPS. You need to simply comply with the applicable provisions of the UPS tariff The tariff states:

quote:
3.6 Firearms and Ammunition UPS accepts Packages containing firearms or ammunition only pursuant to the following limitations.

3.6.1 Firearms

UPS accepts Packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies; and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state, or local
law from (i) an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The Shipper shall comply with and shall ensure that each Shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state, and local laws applicable to the Shipper, recipient, and Package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

– The Shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each Package containing a firearm (including handguns). UPS, in its sole and unlimited discretion, may require the Shipper to select a UPS Next Day Air® delivery service for any Package containing a firearm.

Handguns (as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921) will be accepted for transportation only via a UPS Next Day Air delivery service [EXPENSIVE!!!!].

– Firearms (including handguns) are accepted for transportation only via Scheduled Pickup Service or at a UPS Customer Center. Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for transportation via UPS Drop Boxes or in response to a request for UPS On­Call
Pickup® service, and are not eligible for ups.com 1-800-PICK-UPS ups.com 1800PICKUPS® UPS®
Delivery Change Requests (including, but not limited to, requests to hold for pickup) or UPS My Choice® requests, or drop­off or pickup at UPS Access Point® locations or Third­ Party Retailers. UPS Returns® Services are not available for Packages containing
firearms.

– Firearm parts, which do not constitute firearms as defined under federal law (including without limitation Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code), and which otherwise comply with federal, state, and local law, will be accepted for transportation.

– Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. Replicas or simulated firearms are not accepted for shipment internationally except as a contractual service.

See www.ups.com/content/us/en/reso...elines/firearms.html or contact UPS for more information.

So ship UPS, accept that they will sodomize you on price, and go forth and conquer.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32004 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The receiver should have been transferred to the OP as "other" on the 4473. If the OP thought this out the tax stamp comes after the receiver is engraved.

I've done it 5 times by priority mail with insurance and tracking, easy peasy.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always ship mine after I confirm receipt of the Form 1 at the NFA and that it is in the system, but well before it is ever approved. At that time, it is still just an "other" receiver as Alpine stated.

I have done this with all 7 of my receivers that later were approved as SBR's.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would vote that flunks the definition test of the USPS. They don't have an 'other'. The ATF definition is meaningless. Since as a matter of 'fact' you have applied to legally make it an SBR I'm pretty sure its USPS definition is or can be argued to be an SBR or a handgun. But that's a court case that as far as I can see via quick research has not happened.
I would simply have my FFL send it and avoid an unnecessary risk.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I would vote that flunks the definition test of the USPS. They don't have an 'other'.

< snipperdoodles >

This.

Per USPS Pub. 52, Sec 43, if a firearm is clearly a handgun per BATFE or is otherwise "capable of being concealed on the person" it is a "handgun" under 18 USC 1715.

The perfect example is a stripped AR-15 lower.

Is it a firearm? YES.

Is it a pistol or revolver under 18 USC 921? NO.

Is it a firearm "capable of being concealed on the person"? YES.

Therefore, per USPS Pub 52, section 43, it is a handgun.

A non-licensee ships it via the USPS at their peril.

I swear to God, this is why I want to be President Trump's BATFE Director.

I will simplify all of this so a person does not need my 30 years of experience unraveling federal regulations to arrive at the correct answer to simple questions like "How do I ship an AR-15 receiver to get it engraved?"

Nice is overrated

Posts: 32004 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I said in my original post... I do not personally ship it. My FFL ships it on my behalf via USPS.

With insurance, it costs me less than $20.

The "Boz"

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Like I said in my original post... I do not personally ship it. My FFL ships it on my behalf via USPS.

With insurance, it costs me less than $20.

It continues to surprise me...that folks try to ship their own guns for $100 instead of going to their FFL and shipping it for $20-$30. Oh, and if your FFL charges you $75, find another FFL!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4502 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys like to complicate things. $10.50 to mail a small flat rate shipping box with $200 insurance. I send it directly to the SOT doing the engraving and since engraving is considered a repair the SOT ships directly back to me, no additional tracking of the SN between me and the SOT.

The nearest UPS hub is 160 miles away and if I recall correctly both UPS and FedEx require shipment at overnight rates.

I suppose there is a risk the package could be ripped open during shipment, the USPS employee would recognize what is was, question how it was transferred on the original 4473, contact the ATF to determine if a form 1 has been submitted, then proceed with an unprecedented court case since this item is not now, but could later be considered a pistol. I take this as a small risk.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
Some of you guys like to complicate things. $10.50 to mail a small flat rate shipping box with $200 insurance. I send it directly to the SOT doing the engraving and since engraving is considered a repair the SOT ships directly back to me, no additional tracking of the SN between me and the SOT.

The nearest UPS hub is 160 miles away and if I recall correctly both UPS and FedEx require shipment at overnight rates.

I suppose there is a risk the package could be ripped open during shipment, the USPS employee would recognize what is was, question how it was transferred on the original 4473, contact the ATF to determine if a form 1 has been submitted, then proceed with an unprecedented court case since this item is not now, but could later be considered a pistol. I take this as a small risk.

So your right to own firearms, vote, etc. is worth $40?

Yes, the risk is small; however, it exists.

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

So your right to own firearms, vote, etc. is worth $40?

Yes, the risk is small; however, it exists.

If you are suggesting I'm committing a felony please elaborate.

I am shipping a lawfully acquired serial numbered rifle that has never been designated as being part of a handgun, through the USPS following USPS rules for shipping a rifle.

Even if the ATF considers an SBR to be a pistol what does it matter? It was not a SBR/pistol when it was shipped to the SOT, when the SOT had possession, or during the shipment back to me. Once it was returned to me it remained a generic rifle receiver until the form 1 was approved and a tax stamp issued.

After the tax stamp is approved this rifle receiver becomes a SBR, that apparently some believe without citation, could possibly be considered a pistol. Once this receiver is an NFA item it is not shipped anywhere.

My intent is to follow federal law, what am I missing? If I went down the rabbit hole of thinking about every unknown way the fed could "get" me I would be rocking back and forth in a corner.

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
< snip >

It is straightforward, if you read the applicable statutes and regulations which I provided links to.

Per your statement, you are shipping a firearm, specifically an AR-15 lower receiver from a rifle, that is missing both the barrel and stock.

In its shipped configuration it is capable of being shipped in a USPS Priority Mail small box.

Thus, it is (1) a firearm, and (2) "capable of being concealed on the person."

Per USPS, this is a handgun. It does not matter if it was a lower receiver from a rifle, if it can be concealed on the person, it is a handgun per section 43 of Pub 52 (see link in my first post).

Per 18 USC 1715, USPS can establish regulations (e.g., Pub 52) defining what is a handgun and per 18 USC 1715, is nonmailable. USPS did, and included any firearm capable of being concealed on the person.

If you violate 18 USC 1715 and are convicted, since it can carry a penalty of more than one year of incarceration, you become a prohibited person.

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
Does a stripped receiver qualify as a "concealable" firearm if it's not a complete weapon? Until it is registered or configured as a short barreled rifle, how is it any different than shipping a stripped bolt action rifle receiver?

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Does a stripped receiver qualify as a "concealable" firearm if it's not a complete weapon? Until it is registered or configured as a short barreled rifle, how is it any different than shipping a stripped bolt action rifle receiver?

It is no different when shipping an incomplete bolt action. If the bolt action is a firearm, and can be concealed, shipping via the mail is prohibited (unless you have a FFL).

Now, if the stock or barrel is attached, it's not a pistol or revolver, it is not concealable, and is not in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR), ship via the US Mail as a rifle.

Is my view conservative? Oh Hell yes. I do not offer views that can get you sent to prison. Especially when that can be avoided for $50.

ETA: BATFE says a licensee cannot transfer a stripped AR-15 lower receiver to a person who is under 21 years of age because it could be made into a pistol. This is the same logic as my argument that shipping a stripped AR-15 lower via the United States Postal System crosses the line of 18 USC 1715.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

It is considered "other", a stripped receiver is not a rifle nor a pistol.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post