SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Running the fan all the time vs. on "auto" with home air conditioning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Running the fan all the time vs. on "auto" with home air conditioning? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
My tendency would be for the fan to only run while the AC is on, but there is an option for continuous fan operation. Is there more to this function than I realize? Or does it just waste electricity?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Mine has a circulation mode as well where it runs about 1/3 of the time... I keep it on that setting cause I don't like stale air.

It might not do anything but a blower motor doesn't use all that much power anyway.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve wondered about this myself. I’m interested in the responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Straight up on a standard system it is a waste of electricity. A variable speed blower should keep the house more evenly as they run at lower speed for longer helping to keep the air circulating.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have the switch ON in hotels for white noise. At home...AUTO. But I do run 2 ceiling fans the entire time I'm in the house...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good point about ceiling fans. I keep two going too. I prefer not to have the breeze in the bedroom though.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have mine set to auto and not constant run at this time.

Still interested in other's thoughts.

posted Hide Post
I use circulate as it keeps the temperature more even in my 3 story townhome. When circulate comes on the fan runs at a lower speed. I also use manual on my thermostat as it is easier to adjust.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your relative humidity is high enough that your evaporator coils are condensing water then you definitely do not want your fan to run all the time because it’ll just recirculate that moisture back into your duct work and the rest of your house when your compressor isn’t running.

Posts: 725 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought about using it at night when outside temps do not make the AC run much. The bedroom can warm up a bit with two people and a dog while the rest of the house is cooler. We do have a circulate mode but it doesn’t move as much air. Our unit has a variable DC motor I think.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
At the risk of getting blasted by other HVAC pros here, the HVAC guy who installed my Lennox AC in 2018 advised me to have it set to “on” and not “auto” when I’m running it 24/7 like I do here in PA from June to September

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awhile back, had to get a new AC. Told the AC guy what I needed temperature-wise from a new unit here in Las Vegas, NV, with it's extremely low humidity and extremely hot summer heat 24/7. Was told it would work for the size place I have. Nope; it kept freezing up at the max heat of the day. Was told it needed greater airflow than my old unit. Put the fan on manual so it runs all the time; that combined with a large attic fan going 24/7 to blow heat out, and no more freezing up and the temp stays where I want it.

Posts: 346 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Mine has a circulation mode as well where it runs about 1/3 of the time... I keep it on that setting cause I don't like stale air.

It might not do anything but a blower motor doesn't use all that much power anyway.
Same here, on new system installed in April. I also use the Circ mode, but do not draw in fresh outside air.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Running the fan at my house raised the humidity like crazy. If the fan isn’t allowed to shut off when the compressor stops, the air moving across the wet A coil sucks up the moisture before it has a chance to drain out the condensate line and dumps it back into the house.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I put mine on continuous and have for 20 summers. 160 year old house with a 30 year old system that utilizes much of the old ductwork.

About the only way to keep the upstairs reasonably cool is to keep moving the cool air back upstairs.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I run two ceiling fans and the a/c is on Auto (fan runs when it’s cooling) it’s set to 74° all the time until fall when it’s not 100° or more here in central Texas

Like erj_pilot, when I’m in a hotel I put the fan on ON, to make noise-as the cycling awakens me.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
If your relative humidity is high enough that your evaporator coils are condensing water then you definitely do not want your fan to run all the time because it’ll just recirculate that moisture back into your duct work and the rest of your house when your compressor isn’t running.

^^THIS^^
You are just returning moisture back into your house that should be draining outside!
Use other fans to move air and NOT the “On” setting for the AC.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pros for running the fan continuously:
Space temperature tends to be more even
Air is being filtered.

Cons:

more energy
Moisture carry-over on off cycle ( IMHO minimal, engineering improvements as in sloped pans has improved the issue )
Note: Possible issue with negative space pressure from leaking duct work, compounding space humidity.
If you observe that your humidity increases with the fan on continuously, you may have a negative pressure issue pulling in the humidity from outside.

Posts: 272 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Keeping it on helps even the temps in the rooms without the thermostat.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you are running the fan continuously, the vents and the dampers are not balanced correctly. I spend a ton of time balancing all the vents and rooms when I move into a home. I’m not talking about opening or closing down the register, but the dampers that are put on each trunk at the octopus in the attic.

Once the rooms are balanced the circulate mode should be more than plenty.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post