SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Running the fan all the time vs. on "auto" with home air conditioning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Running the fan all the time vs. on "auto" with home air conditioning? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. The info is helpful.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If I may...a question about ceiling fans. I've read multiple times that you should flip the switch on your ceiling fans in the winter and run them clockwise on lowest setting to "pull" the cold air near the floor into the warm rising air close to the ceiling. Does this strategy really work?

Living northwest of Houston, I typically don't run my ceiling fans in the cold/winter months. When I'm home during the day, I set the thermostat anywhere between 68 to 72-ish and cover with a blanket when just sitting around watching TV. At night, it goes down to 60 and I sleep under a sheet and blanket. No comforter or quilt.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If I may...a question about ceiling fans. I've read multiple times that you should flip the switch on your ceiling fans in the winter and run them clockwise on lowest setting to "pull" the cold air near the floor into the warm rising air close to the ceiling. Does this strategy really work?

Living northwest of Houston, I typically don't run my ceiling fans in the cold/winter months. When I'm home during the day, I set the thermostat anywhere between 68 to 72-ish and cover with a blanket when just sitting watching TV. At night, it goes down to 60 and I sleep under a sheet and blanket. No comforter or quilt.

Yes the strategy works very well. Most ceiling fans use very little energy and operating it helps prevent stratification of the air in your room.

In the last house I built we had an 18 foot vaulted ceiling that I hung a fan with a 4 foot down rod on. That fan ran 24/7 for the 23 years we owned it and helped keep our utility cost very low.

I’m doing the same thing in our new home as well. In fact, this home has an open second story balcony. There was no fan up there but there was a light fixture. I replaced it with a Big Ass Haiku L fan (after verifying the box could support the weight) and it has made the upstairs much more comfortable.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

I'll try that this "winter". Thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Quite the opposite:
SUMMER - Air flow pushing down so you feel the direct movement of air across the skin - to aid cooling.
WINTER - Air flow pulling up - no draft on people below - so air travels down along the walls. Still pulls the warm air along with it.

One would think down in winter to move the hot air down - but the draft feel negates that effort.

Oops - reading again I think we're saying the same thing.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post