SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does a Tacoma make sense as a daily driver?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a Tacoma make sense as a daily driver? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I’ve logged over 50,000 miles on a 2017 SR5 crew-cab Tacoma 4x4. Excellent truck overall. Limited off-road usage but quite capable for what I’ve done. I use the ECT PWR button all the time for improved acceleration; one does have to turn that back on each time the vehicle is restarted.

There is a mod to keep the ECT on all the time on the Tacomaworld forum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I’ve logged over 50,000 miles on a 2017 SR5 crew-cab Tacoma 4x4. Excellent truck overall. Limited off-road usage but quite capable for what I’ve done. I use the ECT PWR button all the time for improved acceleration; one does have to turn that back on each time the vehicle is restarted.

There is a mod to keep the ECT on all the time on the Tacomaworld forum.

Oh, nice - I will check that out! Thanks!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd check out a Honda Ridgeline

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I did for 3 yrs. and a manual transmission in the city. Almost 125,000 trouble free miles

ditto,
I drove a 81 SR5, 97 T100 extended, and my current 2000 Tundra SR5 access cab as daily's until 2010, when I bought a small car (double the mileage of the Tundra,)

no issues at all,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'2" 250 and really dislike the Tacoma fit. It's just way too small for me. Very nice trucks, but I bought a Tundra and two Sequoias.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need to stay at 30k or less I'm afraid that there's no new 4x4 truck of any size thats gonna sell at that price, unless its a stripped down single cab. I've flirted with the idea of a small truck a couple of times but I always ended up with a full size. There was never a big enough price difference to justify the loss of interior space and bed capacity. That said, I know the Colorado and Ranger don't have the reliability reputation and resale value of a Tacoma but they are a more comfortable and enjoyable daily driver.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Toyota fan here, but I bought a new Colorado Crew Cab Z71 over a Tacoma. Just a superior vehicle in every way, and I was coming from a 2015 4Runner. I'm 6'0 about 215 by the way.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Big Toyota fan here, but I bought a new Colorado Crew Cab Z71 over a Tacoma. Just a superior vehicle in every way, and I was coming from a 2015 4Runner. I'm 6'0 about 215 by the way.

This.....the colorado or the ranger.....both are much more modernized designs.....the Tacoma is long overdue for a new design.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Lol, everyone says the tundra and Tacoma are outdated. How much time do you guys spend in your truck cab? I want the interior from a 1997 T100.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't want to turn this into a heated debate but as a three time Tacoma owner I feel compelled to opine. Tacoma's still outpace competitors sales by large margins.

This last go-round I looked hard at the Colorado and Ranger. Both are just as expensive if not more so that the Tacoma equally equipped, Maybe I'm biased, but I was not overly impressed with either. Could I live with one?... sure and would probably grow to like it. And there are a few things I don't like about the Tacoma. I've never had a vehicle that was completely without some flaws.

Shop around. Compare feature to feature, reliability records and resale values. If one decides on a Ford or Cheve then fine. Your money and you can spend as you see fit.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Do you know that they still have drum brakes in the rear?

I made the mistake of bringing this up on tacomaworld. I was quickly reprimanded and reminded that these are “touched by Jesus, the deciples, and the Holy Spirit, Drum Brakes”.

Do not mock the antiques. It is Tacoma blasphemy.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone explain to me the selling points of the TRD Sport trim level over the SR5?

I was looking over Toyota's Web site at the two and nothing really jumped out at me as justifying the price increase.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Do you know that they still have drum brakes in the rear?

I made the mistake of bringing this up on tacomaworld. I was quickly reprimanded and reminded that these are “touched by Jesus, the deciples, and the Holy Spirit, Drum Brakes”.

Do not mock the antiques. It is Tacoma blasphemy.

I've seen that overthere too. I really think its blown way out of proportion. I haven't had to change the front or rear brakes on any vehicle I've owned in over 20 years be it drum or pads. The rear drums do a fine job.

I'm waiting to hear what wolfe21 actually ends up looking at and ends up buying.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DD is a manual 2019 Tacoma 4x4 TRD off-road. Love it. Only until recently that my left knee blew up with some kind of arthritis that I realized how heavy the clutch in the Tacoma is. I guess it's heavy because of the towing capacity but gosh that clutch is heavy!

So don't injure your left leg.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Drum brakes and frame strength aside, if you like it, it'll make a good daily driver.

Keeping a vehicle for 7-10 years makes sense. You should be able to add options yourself as time moves on, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you are buying it off of a lot, they may be able to swap rims when you buy the truck. Back up cameras, navigation, subwoofers, etc... can be added in a good weekend.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:

Every way but reliability, quality, resale........

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Can anyone explain to me the selling points of the TRD Sport trim level over the SR5?

I was looking over Toyota's Web site at the two and nothing really jumped out at me as justifying the price increase.

When I was seriously considering a Tacoma the main advantage of a Sport to me was it's the only version sold in the U.S. as Access Cap (so 6' bed), 4x4, 6-speed manual. But it came with too many compromises to me which is why I went another direction. It cost as much as an Off Road but doesn't have the locker or OR suspension, the Sport also comes with lower profile 18" tires and a faux hood scoop neither of which I wanted. I would have bought an OR or SR5 had either been available in Access Cab, 4x4, 6-speed. Ironically the Off Road is available this way in Canada but not in the US, even though they're manufactured in the U.S.
While I was still in the decision process I rode in a friend's new Off Road, double cab, 6-speed and found the seating position to get pretty uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes or so. It wasn't nearly as comfortable as my old Tundra, I felt like I was almost sitting on the floor like in a go cart with my legs out in front of me. So be sure to take one on a nice long drive.

The good things about a Tacoma are: they hold resale very well, this latest generation is now very reliable, they have good ground clearance and short overhangs so do well off road, and (some versions) are still available with a manual transmission. Wolfe if you find the truck comfortable and like the Sport package it would make a great choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have a Tacoma 2019 quad cab, and it has been my daily driver since I picked it up new, last year and I have been very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2487 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2013 Taco new off the lot. Standard cab, 4 cyl, 4 spd auto, 16 in wheels, 4wd.

At the time I was 6' 2" and pushing 300 lbs. It was a tight fit, even for leg room, but I needed one that day so I bought it.

I have had it for close to 8 years and I love it. I have about 65k miles on it. No serious off-roading, only occasionally pull a trailer. I get calls and letters from local dealers who want me to sell it but that's not going to happen. By the way, I've lost 80 lbs so it fits a lot better. Smile

I have driven it for 3 hour stretches, sometimes two a day, and never felt uncomfortable, even when I was heavy. The 4wd V6 gets about the same mileage so I would have picked that if I'd had the option.

I won't sell this one, but if someday I need to replace my Jeep (heaven forbid!) I would take a serious look at the 4Runner and the Tundra.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be the cheapest guy on the forum but I look at fuel mileage as one of the important items in selection of a daily driving vehicle. I don't see gasoline staying at it's present low price for years though I could be wrong. My two sedans are getting between 27 and 35 miles per gallon in mixed rural and small city driving. I also have a GMC Sierra 1500 which I drive only when I need a truck for loads or towing.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post