SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skydiver survives 5,000ft plunge after both parachutes failed
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skydiver survives 5,000ft plunge after both parachutes failed Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Danged lucky…

“A skydiver is lucky to be alive after free-falling 5,000ft when both of her parachutes failed to open during a jump.

The 30-year-old woman was taking part in a dive at Montreal's Parachutisme Adrénaline center on Saturday when the near-tragedy unfolded.

Witnesses described watching in horror as she plunged to earth with both her main chute and reserve trailing uselessly behind her.

But she survived with non-life-threatening fractures after her fall was broken by some trees, and is now recovering in hospital.

She is thought to have broken several bones including her spine, medics say…”

https://mol.im/a/7363709

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
God loves her.

A lot.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32051 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great feeling when the main chute deploys

can't imagine having two fail

in actual fact she probably had at least 'partial deployment' but still a very luck gal

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And in the category of "Stupidly Lucky" check out this Liveleak!car crash video!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32051 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not know if there was video in the link as it took forever to load. Bet there is some though.

adrenaline, yea I would say so. Crazy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19763 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
There was a man with whom I worked and directed 20 years ago in the Denver area who was a sky diving enthusiast. He jumped out of a plane and his parachute became tangled or did not open properly. He and his chute twirled around in a circular motion. He fell about 5000 feet to the ground. Broke nearly every bone in his body and did a lot of damage to his internal organs.
He was permanently crippled but he lived.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The odds of both chutes failing seem to be extremely low. I'm assuming she deployed her reserve chute before properly cutting away her main chute?

Anyway, that would be pretty terrifying.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
"Bytes, meet the skydiver."

"Skydiver, meet Bytes."

"You guys have a lot in common."

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article is not correct, and suggests that she impacted with a total pack closure and survived, which is certainly not the case. It's incomplete, inaccurate reporting.

The comments by Nancy Koreen of the US Parachute Association, who was given the facts (and which are not reported in this article) hint at the fact that the story is reported incorrectly. She states that to say the parachutes were not open is "misleading."

Sounds more like the jumper had a main malfunction and either didn't get it cut away or deployed the reserve into the main or through it to create a double malfuction, and impacted under considerable drag.

Despite all the stories and rumors about freefall to impact being survived by WWII soldiers in snow and other fanciful myths, none have been proven true. It's not survivable.

This woman may have had garbage above her when she bounced, but she did have considerable drag, enough to reduce her fall rate enough to survive.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“as she plunged to earth with both her main chute and reserve trailing uselessly behind her”

Actually the parachutes weren’t trailing uselessly. They still probably saved her life by slowing the decent and getting caught in the trees.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
She had a pretty intense 90 seconds

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
“as she plunged to earth with both her main chute and reserve trailing uselessly behind her”

Actually the parachutes weren’t trailing uselessly. They still probably saved her life by slowing the decent and getting caught in the trees.
Yeah, its just not possible to survive unless they were slowing her down a good amount. They no doubt saved her life.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Despite all the stories and rumors about freefall to impact being survived by WWII soldiers in snow and other fanciful myths, none have been proven true.

Interesting. I was just thinking of an account I read when I was a kid of someone who was reportedly blown out of a bomber at 16,000 feet (IIRC) without a parachute and survived by falling through trees and into deep snow.

I’ve wondered about that story many times, not least about how he could have then walked to safety/recovery through snow that deep. And based on what I have read recently about extractions via ropes out of the jungles of Vietnam and Laos, falling through even relatively small tree branches would have been no joke if they were thick enough to provide any sort of gradual cushioning effect.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite all the stories and rumors about freefall to impact being survived by WWII soldiers in snow and other fanciful myths, none have been proven true. It's not survivable.

Is there proof that these people that survived such incidents are not telling the truth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

Strange things do happen in this world. Some of them nothing short of miraculous.

Posts: 5030 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah: there are all kinds of wild tales out there, all with the elements of credibility, but without the truth. Over the years I've met hundreds of people who claimed that their uncle or third cousin's second aunt's cat's sperm donor survived such a fall without benefit of a parachute. None have ever held up.

USPA did a study on it years ago; despite all the stories which somehow gain legitimacy the more they're told (especially through centers of truth such as wikipedia), in song, TV show, and of course the most reliable of all...internet searches...none have held up to scrutiny.

If you've ever hit the ground after a jump or seen someone bounce, you'll understand why, in technicolor.

I do. I spent time in intensive care following a malfunction over 30 years ago. It still bothers me to this day. I can say without any reservation that had my rate of descent been any higher, I'd have not survived. I had a canopy above me. A damaged, spinning canopy, but a canopy none the less.

The article suggests that both canopies failed to open and yet describes her main and reserve trailing above. The USPA spokeswoman who heard the details of the event (not given in the article) stated that insinuations that the parachute didn't open were misleading. Simply put, the article is wrong.

posted Hide Post
I'm trying to recall my high school and college physics.....

125 meters per second? I can't imagine a free fall is survivable.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Will she take the hint?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terminal velocity for a jumper varies between 120 and 220 to 250 mph vertically, depending on body position and other factors. Jumpers with loose fabric fall a bit more slowly as do light jumpers. Freestyle positions, head-to-earth, and max-track confiburations produce the highest vertical velocities.

There can be several reasons for both canopies deployed, not the least of which is a firing of an automatic activation device that releases the reserve upon reaching a preset altitude and fall rate. If the main canopy is already out of the pack or on the way out, it can contribute to fouling both canopies or deployment bags, and may result in a malfunction.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Will she take the hint?

Hopefully she will get back in the air as soon as she's able. It's important to get back on the horse that bucked you off, for emotional and psychological reasons. That nightmare is one that grows on you if you don't put it to bed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yeah: there are all kinds of wild tales out there, all with the elements of credibility, but without the truth. Over the years I've met hundreds of people who claimed that their uncle or third cousin's second aunt's cat's sperm donor survived such a fall without benefit of a parachute. None have ever held up.

USPA did a study on it years ago; despite all the stories which somehow gain legitimacy the more they're told (especially through centers of truth such as wikipedia), in song, TV show, and of course the most reliable of all...internet searches...none have held up to scrutiny.

I'm open to reading any sources you can point to that disprove the experiences of the seven people in the link I provided. Granted it's a wiki link, but if you've got books, magazine articles, etc., to recommend that prove these people didn't experience the events they say they did, I would be interested to read them.

Posts: 5030 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If she'd landed on her feet, her new nickname would be 'Shorty'.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post