SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question Re: UPS Packaging Requirements (Ammo Related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: UPS Packaging Requirements (Ammo Related) Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
This is not a legal question re: UPS ammunition policy but rather a question re: UPS packaging protocol. Simply stated, will UPS accept this unpackaged crate of ammo for shipment provided the prerequisite hazmat decals are properly displayed on the exterior of the box? Thanks!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d still encase that in cardboard and lots of tape.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d still encase that in cardboard and lots of tape.

If for no other reason than to disguise it. Anybody who has a clue what they're looking at is liable to "lose" (if you get my drift) the package.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
An outer box it is. I'll pick up a roll of reinforced 3M filament tape at the orange store tomorrow. Thanks for the advise.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Definitely overpack.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
FYI...

Will UPS Take a Wooden Crate?

If you've just recently started shipping goods to the military and overseas and you have prepared your first wooden crate for shipment, you might wonder which service you will use to ship the package. Will UPS take a wooden crate? Yes, UPS does accept wooden crates, but many customers were not satisfied with their service. Many former customers complained that UPS charged certain additional fees to their business accounts that they weren't notified of in advance.

If you opt to do business with UPS, you need to ensure that you are aware of all the fees upfront. It is not professional business practice to charge additional fees that a client isn't aware of. UPS can also pick up your wooden crates from your home or office for a nominal fee. You would need to inquire with UPS when making your request in order to determine the exact cost of their pickup service.

The Edge Search

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
go to a UPS customer service center, as in hub, to ship, and if needed , ask,

a ups store will send you away

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
yep, I'd box it and not just for the obvious reasons mentioned but also because the conveyer belts and such they use in their facility's don't like odd shapes as well as the folks throwing the boxes in the back of trucks and jets....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they will even ship it for you. They have really cracked down on hazmat shipments (us dot requirements). I tried to ship primers last year but they wouldn't take them.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you'll get charged irreg (irregular pkg) fees if it's shipped as is. Dimensions and weight are also factors in determining if irreg fees apply. Guessing at the specs of your crate?? 18x24x8? If boxed then probably no irreg fees provided it's under 70#. If it's oversized and/or over 70 then fees will be charged. UPS revised their size and weight standards a few years ago so your best bet is to get on UPS.com and get an estimate there with exact size, weight, etc.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Don't know if they will even ship it for you. They have really cracked down on hazmat shipments (us dot requirements). I tried to ship primers last year but they wouldn't take them.

Loose primers and gunpowder are hazmat. You must have a hazmat account with UPS to ship them, and they're governed by DOT hazmat shipping requirements.

But loaded small arms ammunition is not hazmat. Anyone can ship it under the "Limited Quantity" classification (used to be called ORM-D), provided that it's properly disclosed, it meets the requirements like being shipped Ground to the Lower 48 and being under the 66 pound weight limit, and it has the necessary diamond LQ label affixed.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Thanks gang. The outer shipping carton was definitely the correct call. Even though the package weighs ~35 lbs. and is covered with telltale black & white diamond labels, it doesn't scream Military Surplus Ammo. I've shipped smaller quantities of ammo in the past without incident. The only real downside is the nearest UPS location which accepts ammunition shipments is 20 miles from my home.

MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Perfect. ( Italian surplus ) Cool

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
Perfect. ( Italian surplus ) Cool

Well played.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Use Pirate Ship to print a discounted UPS label for it and give it to a driver. I do it around here all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Thanks gang. The outer shipping carton was definitely the correct call. Even though the package weighs ~35 lbs. and is covered with telltale black & white diamond labels, it doesn't scream Military Surplus Ammo. I've shipped smaller quantities of ammo in the past without incident. The only real downside is the nearest UPS location which accepts ammunition shipments is 20 miles from my home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post