SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The first "celebrity" you met in person...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The first "celebrity" you met in person... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I haven't met many...

Probably the most memorable was former Cardinals/Pirates player Andy Van Slyke...

I umpired his kid's baseball game a few years in a row.

His family was living in the area and his kid played ball here (Scott Van Slyke, who also plays or played pro ball, who played for the Dodgers recently, although not sure where he is now, last I think with the Reds)

He complimented both me, my brother, and our best friend at the time on our Umpiring. We asked him to sign a baseball for us, and I gave my baseball to my dad for a Father's day present.)

The next year I asked him to sign another ball for me, which i still have.

He was a pretty down to earth guy and signed a lot of baseballs while still watching his son play ball. I kind of felt bad asking him as he was just trying to watch his kid play ball, and not even coaching or anything... But how many times to you get a shot to meet and get an autograph from a major league ballplayer.

Beyond that... I have a pic somewhere even posted here, of me with Doug Stanhope. He is a stand up comedian who is beyond wrong, but mostly right if that makes sense. Hardcore Libratarian, and truthteller.

One of the things he says at the end of his shows, is that "Don't be that guy who wants to come up and talk to me, and get a picture or autograph. BE THAT GUY, I'll be happy to talk to you (sic).

Very great guy and spends HOURS after the shows posing for pics with fans, shooting the shit with you.

Of the times I have seen him, one of the first times I actually went drinking with him for an hour or so. If you have seen his show, and know what he stands for, you will appreciate that.... I couldn't hang....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
short

Two local guys, Texas Bruce who did a cowboy kids show in St. Louis. I remodeled his house in Webster groves. And Jimmy Conners ( tennis player). I was working at Barnes Hospital when I saw him in a hallway- said hi and shook his hand, friendly guy. Stan Musial when I was a kid

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I met a few back when I did commercial photography.
First celebrity was Marilyn Chambers. I photographed her for 2 days at the Electronics show in Chicago. Genesis magazine hired me to follow her around and take Polaroids of her with possible ad buyers in the magazine. I used a 4x5 speedgraphic camera with a 4x5 poloriod back attached, talk about doing it the hard way.
I also worked with quite a few golfers and other jocks for different ads.
Jack Nickolus - a real jerk!
Ben Crenshaw
Tom Wiescoff
Carlton Fisk
Murrey Bannerman
Joan Benoit
Sat next to Billy Williams on a plane.
Met race car legend Jim Hall and saw his car "the Fan" when shooting ads for Gabriel shocks at Rattlesnake race way (Jim Halls race car building complex) in Midland TX. Jim was a very nice,personable guy and very happy to show me all his cars and answer any questions I had about his career.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
When I was about 7 years old, my Mom and I were at the glass blowing furnace at colonial Jamestown, VA. It was summertime and hot, and we were in line. A bald man with a beard in front of us turned to my Mom and said, "patience my dear; patience." He was Pernell Roberts aka Trapper John, MD.

While growing up, my favorite TV show was Spenser for Hire. Robert Urich was my hero. It so happens that he went to high school in Toronto, OH which is not far from where we lived. He was set to speak at his 25th (?) reunion, so my Mom, being as awesome as she was, took me over to Ohio hoping to catch a glimpse. I got to meet Robert Urich, we spoke for a few minutes and he let me have a photo with him.

Both of them are gone now. I'm glad to have the memory of meeting them.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
MacGyver. Met Richard Dean Anderson at a country bar in Tucson back in the 90's. We played some video games and he wanted to take a picture with us. We took one of those old time cowboy type pics.

I had the rifle and just like MacGyver he wouldn't touch a gun.

All in all Richard Dean Anderson was pretty cool. We hung with him all night and he spent most of the time asking us about our lives.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Several of the new Los Angeles Angels ball players and Manager Bill Rigney in the first year spring training. Sat in the dugout with them prior to the start of their workout.
Some of these guys:
https://www.baseball-reference...AA/1961-roster.shtml

Another time: RFK and Candy Bergen. CB was a be-itch. Chewed me out royal. I did like her Murphy Brown though. But Corky was the better one.

I was friend of Prefontain and met some of his contemporary competitors and coaches.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Elly Mae Clampett or Donna Douglas or Dot Smith for the locals back then.

She was my brother in laws cousin. We used to go swimming at her house here in our area. She was in from Calif. a few times when we where there. That was back when the show was still on. Years later she moved back and died here. I used to see her at Walmart and at funerals.

The last famous person I saw was Little Boosie for you rap fans. He was in Subway the other night when I was there. I would like to have the gold he had hanging around his neck.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
That I can remember, the first would be Harry Caray. My family went to a game at Candlestick when we were kids. The Giants had a pre-game event where children could come down on the field and meet the team.

Brother and I were Cubs fans though and hung out by their dugout in hopes of seeing the likes of Sandburg or Dawson while everyone else was with the Giants. Caray was doing an interview with the Cubs manager and when he finished he came over and said hi to us. Great guy.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was 11 or 12 i met Marie Osmand. She was about 26-27 she was pretty hot then.
Then my first day of my first job at a local theme park when I was 15 I met Kevin Mitchell who was having his MVP season with the Giants. He signed a scrap of paper for me. Also around this time age 15 or so met Will Clark (Giants 1B) and Bobby Unser at a motor Sports show

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
[quote]Based on the fact I don't recognize 90% of the names you all mentioned, I could have then bump into me on the street and not be any wiser

You sound like a typical Midwesterner. Come on, make something up. Roger Ebert went to the University of Illinois. If you have ever been to Las Vegas, these types are always around. They even hire the brothers of famous people.

I grew up in Vegas. I work in DC. Choice might have something to do with it. ; )

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was 11 or 12 i met Marie Osmand. She was about 26-27 she was pretty hot then.

Met her in a Sharper Image store in Nashville in the mid 1980's. Yes, she was hot but I was 40 & with my wife.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elie Wiesel. It was a privilege.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
James Burke (Day the Universe Changed & Connections) at a book signing.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember my best friend and neighbor coming over and asking if my family wanted to come over and meet his Uncle who just came to visit. My mom said I could go but she was busy with my little brothers and sister. The first thing I noticed was this huge white limo in their driveway. When we went in this man who was dressed kind of odd was playing the piano like ive never heard, we spent hours listening, he was also very funny with us kids. It got late and I had to go home, when I got there all I talked about was this guy and how great the music was. I remember when my mom spoke to my friends mom the next day the look on her face when she told him who he was. Liberacci

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Bruce Campbell, maybe, at a Fangoria horror convention back in the late '80s?

I remember he talked to the audience first, and he came up on stage, and the first thing he did before saying anything is he performed that somersault flip onto his back (from Evil Dead 2 when his hand gets possessed and attacks him) on the stage. That was pretty cool.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Furthest back I can remember was Kirby Pucket back in the mid 80's. I was working for Servicemaster and he had water damage in his basement. Incredibly nice guy.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kirby Puckett at the airport in San Diego after the all-star game in 1992.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
President Ford

George H. W. Bush for me in Baton Rouge at the airport.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Met Rick Mears racing RC cars a few years ago.

He was faster on the track

Nice guy

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
The first one I remember meeting was Chuck Conners. I think I was 5 at the time. He was campaigning for Ronald Reagan for Governor of California and stopped at our local airport. I got to shake his hand. We all know he was a big man but to a five-year-old, he was a giant. His hand was huge! He was a really nice fellow, though.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post