SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants a nicer camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants a nicer camera Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I was looking at the Nikon D3400 DX Bundle with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lens.

She wants something that's easy for her to use while learning to take good photos.

Is this a good choice?

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That is the niche market for the D3400 I believe.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I started with a Nikon D3100 and now have a D5300 with numerous lenses and accessories. I have nothing against Canon products so you might want to look at their offerings as well.

As to your question regarding the D3400, it will make a great all around DSLR.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I just bought the same camera kit, actually picking it up later today. I saw some reviews online against the Canon EOS T6. They seem pretty evenly matched, maybe a little more bang for the buck Nikon, longer battery life as well

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a good set up. Maybe budget for or down the line look for a prime lens like the Nikon 35mm f/1.8g.(around $175) These are fast, very light weight, small and make great walk-around lenses offering excellent picture quality even in low light without flash.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'd get one if I needed to replace my D200. Also, Ken Rockwell, the photographer and camera reviewer, likes it. Here is his review. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3400.htm

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife was in the same boat a few months back and ended up buying a Leica Q.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have a D7000 but had to travel by plane to NC and brought my wife's D3200 to take pics of our company Christmas party.

Its a predecessor of the D3400 and takes great pics, is very light, coupled with my 18-200 AF lens and a small Speedlight flash it did an excellent job.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm going to grab one for her and see how she likes it.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Go for it. She will either take to it or she won't but that camera will do everything a beginner could want. It even functions pretty good as a point and shoot camera.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to grab one for her and see how she likes it.

I picked mine up and have taken just a few pics. So far so good. I really like how easy it is with the Nikon SnapBridge app. Pictures automatically transfer from the camera to my phone or iPad.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chevy or Ford

Nikon or Canon

I think the current Cannon glass is better but not by much

Buy from B&H and you can't go wrong

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Go used, get a better body.

Here is a D7000 https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon...body-only-black.html

Here is a Canon: https://www.keh.com/shop/canon...body-only-black.html

Here is a Pentax: https://www.keh.com/shop/penta...a-body-16-3-m-p.html

All are comparable bodies, and you can get glass and other accessories for all quite easily.

I shoot Pentax, but more lenses are made by third party companies for the Nikon and Canon.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was looking at the Nikon D3400 DX Bundle with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lens.

She wants something that's easy for her to use while learning to take good photos.

Is this a good choice?

Hey Mark, I just wanted to see how your wife likes the camera? I ended up buying a Nikon SB-500 flash for mine. I am very impressed with the picture quality so far.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
quote:

Is this a good choice?

Hey Mark, I just wanted to see how your wife likes the camera? I ended up buying a Nikon SB-500 flash for mine. I am very impressed with the picture quality so far.
It hasn't arrived yet.