SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home emergency generators
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home emergency generators Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
I recently bought a house which came with a home generator.
Every Sunday at about 2pm it would turn on and verify that it still works.
The other day it stopped doing that.
I checked the LCD screen on it, and it states "maintenance required".

So I called up a local place that says they work on these things and they sent me an email offering me to sign up for a yearly support contract.
The price they're charging seems a bit high to me - but I have no frame of reference for this.

1 annual service: $410
2 services per year (every 6 months): $620
4 services per year (every 3 months): $1040

The contract only covers the costs of labor, oil, and filters.

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of thing?
Is this a lot? or is it reasonable?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a 22w Generac and do the oil changes. The prices you stated seems rather high for me. Probably 80% labor.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Mine used to cost me $120 for an annual service and check over. The filters and oil shouldn't be more than 50-60 bucks. They want way too much. Check with a couple of other local electricians.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Generac generator that is similar, its about 7 years old now, we've been in the house a little over a year and a half. Previous owners had a guy check it every year and we continued with him. No contract, but he comes out each fall and does an oil change and check up to make sure its functioning properly. Installed a new battery last year that added to the expense, but the annual service was $380 I think. So that price is definitely in the ballpark. Worth it to me to have it maintained and serviced so that its ready when needed.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would do a search of the exact model to see what that code actually means and look at videos showing the maintenance.
Also, read the manuals that came with it or look them up to see what they say.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have done all of my own maintenance. On my generator, my thoughts are:

1) If I work on it I will know how and where everything is located if the need arises.
2) I know it will be done right
3) I save service charges.

If you are handy it’s not that difficult oil change, filters (air, oil, fuel).

Looking at your manual it should tell you what is needed for the hours you have on the generator. Also after the maintainence is completed how to reset the maintenance indicator.

As far as the price on the service contract goes my thoughts are it’s a bit on the high side.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4844 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I would do a search of the exact model to see what that code actually means and look at videos showing the maintenance.
Also, read the manuals that came with it or look them up to see what they say.

Google it, if you don't have the manual see if you can get a PDF, it should give you the schedule and what should be done. Like it was said if you are handy/mechanically inclined to do the services that's great. If not, get a pro, since it does power the house during emergencies, it's important to have looked at from time to time.

Compare parts etc, but $400 for an annual inspection, as long as it includes oil and filter change, and checking the unit doesn't seem too out of line.

You can't get a plumber or electrician to your house for under a hondo anymore just to check stuff out..

Posts: 23603 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have had an auto start whole house generator for about 16 years. I replaced the switch once a couple years ago due to a lightning strike. If your switch is similar to mine, your issue may just be with your automatic transfer switch circuit or the battery circuit rather than the generator itself. I don't know about yours, but my exercise-start and auto start system is 12 volts and there is a fuse. I have had the fuse blow with lightning strikes in the area, and I have had they system fail to start when the battery failed. There should also be an integral battery charger for the starting battery, if the battery dies you will get an error. The annual maintenance fee quoted seems like a lot.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You should be checking the oil level on a frequent basis.
1) Oil and filter change is pretty easy
2) Air filter--easy
3) Spark plugs--easy--had an issue with Champion plugs-needed higher temp plugs NGK.
4)Battery--should be on a trickle charge. Replace every 4-5 years because the battery always fails at the worst time.

I believe Ozark statement about knowing your generator inside and out is the best.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the recommendations of "do it yourself".
However, that's not what this thread is for.
I'm simply trying to gauge if this place is trying to rip me off or not.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oil and filter change is pretty easy and I only do it every other year (probably runs 120-150 hours per year. Typically a routine power failure 2 to 4 hours half dozen times a year and couple 4 day outages over last 4 years. Air filter every 3 to 4 years (always look clean). Biggest has been battery, 5 years first time, 2 years last time. I have my service company do it because it is a pain to remove one side of cabinet to get battery out, bad design on my Generac. $300 battery and labor, high because he charges travel time. Probably could do it but at 78 years old, why?.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Yes it's a ripoff for an annual maintenance that costs about $50 for plugs, filters, and oil.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a quote for a generac. They want $16k all in for the biggest one, a 24kw. I have a 400a panel and it needs some kind of upgrades to reduce it to 200a and 3100 foot house. This is before the gas company brings gas to my house. There is a pipeline on my street and my neighbor has his generator about 50 feet from where mine will sit. Does 16k seem high ?! I know it’s the biggest model they sell but jeez. Do I even need one that big ? We just moved into hurricane alley and wife really wants one.

Posts: 4786 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northern Tool shows a current price of $5597 shipped including the transfer switch, probably plus tax for the 24kw unit. Your bid leaves about $10,000 for labor and other materials and your gas hookup. I would think that estimate is very high. I did an 11kw Generac three years ago for $4700 for everything but I had gas on site and good local people who were very reasonable. My electric work and gas hookup was under $500. Do you have electric heat? Will a 24kw unit power it and all the rest of your needs? We have a well and propane heat so 11kw is big enough and these things burn a lot of fuel when running. We would not run the AC. We would move to the basement. I hope you have a basement in tornado alley.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the price quoted is for maintenance only , then it's too damn high . If you had said it's for an extended warranty I might think differently . Oil and filter changes are not difficult to do and parts are easy to find . Reset the maintenance reminder and hit the YouTube videos .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
The price they're charging seems a bit high to me - but I have no frame of reference for this.

1 annual service: $410
2 services per year (every 6 months): $620
4 services per year (every 3 months): $1040
I have a Kohler whole house generator and my 2 services per year are $400ish combined total. EDIT: I have an air-cooled generator and my Kohler platinum service company would charge an additional $100 annually for liquid cooled.

My place changes the oil once a year, but the service is more than an oil change. It's actually a whole procedure which includes checking voltage output (if necessary adjusting voltage regulator which mine has done), checking electrical connection tightness, battery test, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23336 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got a quote for a generac. They want $16k all in for the biggest one, a 24kw. I have a 400a panel and it needs some kind of upgrades to reduce it to 200a and 3100 foot house. This is before the gas company brings gas to my house. There is a pipeline on my street and my neighbor has his generator about 50 feet from where mine will sit. Does 16k seem high ?! I know it’s the biggest model they sell but jeez. Do I even need one that big ? We just moved into hurricane alley and wife really wants one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am familiar with hurricanes. Evacuating and staying in a nice hotel is much cheaper even with the loss of food. There are no maintainance costs with that option.

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not comfortable doing the basic maintenance , then spend the money . I would still shop around though . Generac mechanics are everywhere . If you can read a manual , turn a wrench and read a voltmeter then save the money and do it yourself .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Find the maker of the generator (likely right on the cover.) Go to their website. It will likely let your find their local dealers in your are. Get a couple, call them, and get their prices.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would do the annual, not the others. Maybe a little high but look at it this way.

They have to pay a mechanic/technician to drive round trip, mileage and the time it actually takes to do the servicing. Add to that, the oil and filter. They will carry back the old oil and filter for disposal any other parts involved in an annual service (probably minimal).

Then they have to make a profit.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post