SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Americans and all this binging business
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americans and all this binging business Login/Join 
posted
Booze, weed, tv shows, dieting and now working.

How healthy can it be, and who is it good for ?

What the hell was wrong with moderation ?

I watched four episodes of Dexter, nurse Jackie and Shameless
Years ago.
But four shows not nine or twelve.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54665 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever watched more than two episodes in a row.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
There's a huge difference between binging on heroin, alcohol or any other drug and watching Justified all the way through. So there's that.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Working hard is good for everyone. And when you get tired, you need a day with mimosas, bed, and 15 episodes of breaking bad.

Work hard, play hard.

You probably don't need smack tho.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The term "binge" as applied to watching TV shows is of a playful nature and, if not combined with other harmful activities or neglect of responsibilities, is harmless. Binging on drugs, alcohol, even food (or, in the case of dieting, lack of food) is harmful, of course. I don't understand how one can "binge" on work, however.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I'll be 70 in July and binge. The way I look at it there are no guarantees that you'll be waking up the next day.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Last weekend on Sundance TV.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Why put off until tomorrow what you can binge today?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don’t get this “binge watching” TV thing at all

Aren’t you turning it into work by doing that?

I watch one episode, MAYBE two of a TV show and I’m ready to do something else or watch something else. Seems like way too much to me to sit all day or night and watch 5,6,7,8 episodes of a show.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m sure someone will chime in with the obligatory “So what?” post, but as a matter of some possible interest, when I saw “binging,” I first thought it might refer to using a particular search engine too much. According to the Internet, the progressive or continuing tense of binge can be either binging or bingeing, but keeping the “e” is more common.

In case anyone is interested. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was also wondering why people were using the Microsoft search engine to a degree someone would complain about.

Amusingly, "whingeing" came to mind.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This came up while talking at lunch, a short while ago.

12-14 hour work days is bizarre.

Five of us knew four people that are doing this.
One had an eating disorder, another had a pack and a half a day smoking issue, another is a lush and a half, and the fourth one a hoarder.

And if they work four 12's in a row,
They are pretty effen worthless for the next two days, as in

Don't call them, don't email them ,
Don't plan on seeing them .

Kinda
Makes me wonder if something mental is going on

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54665 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post