SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GA members: how do I avoid Atlanta?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GA members: how do I avoid Atlanta? Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
My new AOR is middle Georgia and I have to go north through KY roughy 1x a month on I-75. I maintain a perfect record of it taking 3+ hours to drive my first 100 miles because of Atlanta traffic. The I-285 bypass is not helpful when the brake lights start just north of Macon.

Is there any other feasible option besides hitting the road before 4am? A country road that adds an hour on paper would beat 2+ hours of idling through the greater metro area, something apparently impossible for Siri to predict.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AOR acronym please Departure and arrival points would help as well.

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Area of Responsibility

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come over to the west side and pick up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_27 and see some new part of the country.

Sure it's a LOT farther to go, but you'll get no hints of Atlanta and maybe discover something good, from Callaway Gardens to Wild Leap Brewing to Chickamauga National Military Park.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Would US-129 north from Macon through Athens and then US-23 at Baldwin, switching to I-40 at Clyde, NC, looping around Knowville, TN to I-75 work? Could cut off some of the distance by leaving US-23 at Dillsboro, NC and taking US-441 to I-40. It appears to be a fairly straight north-south route that bypasses Atlanta. OTOH, US-441 crosses the Great Smoky Mountains NP and is pretty twisty, especially near the NC-TN border, so going US-23 to I-40 may be better, though longer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

There's a new SOP on DOA's from the FAA.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
The US-129 route has promise. I could reconnect via I-40 north of Knoxville which has been a PITA too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I hit it in the middle of the night.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25443 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also tried to zoom through Atlanta about 0400.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16121 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told by a few guys from Georgia that the only time you can beat the traffic in Atlanta is by driving through it in the EARLY morning hours.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Avoid the worst hours and use a map app that shows traffic in real time to minimize problems. Otherwise there are few good options on secondary roads.
If your route takes you through Knoxville, you can take Rt. 411 into GA and across to the east through Ellijay, GA and it will cut some miles/time and give you a potentially better option around the east side Atlanta. Just watch your speed on 411, a nice 4 lane with some speed traps along the way.
I'd prefer to a go bit earlier than I'd like to avoid adding hours and lots of extra miles on a trip.
YMMV.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Not specific to Atlanta, but I've had good luck with Waze. It takes traffic into account, tons of users that will notify you of cops, cars on the shoulder, trash on the road, etc.

Waze has had me exit an interstate, drive 10-15 miles on a parallel state road, then get back on the interstate.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

There's a new SOP on DOA's from the FAA.

"I dont think this ones gonna make it, boys"

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Album Oriented Rock, like WKLS in ATL.

Posts: 11012 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I was told by a few guys from Georgia that the only time you can beat the traffic in Atlanta is by driving through it in the EARLY morning hours.

We once drove thru Atlanta at 8:00 a.m. on New Years Day and I-75 was so empty it was eerie.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the time of the day and the direction you’re traveling, Peach Pass is a huge time saver.

https://peachpass.com/

Posts: 236 | Location: GA. | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The problem is that McDonough/Locust Grove is THE WORST TRAFFIC in the Atlanta area. 24/7. And there's pretty much no way around it.

One thing you should definitely do is get a Peach Pass and use the HOT lanes. It'll cost you some money but it's well worth it.

Where are you coming from? Macon? Warner Robins? Dublin?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you coming from? Macon? Warner Robins? Dublin

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that is confidential. Destination top secret too. lol

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Where are you coming from? Macon? Warner Robins? Dublin

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that is confidential. Destination top secret too. lol

I could tell you, but you know…

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

That's what I normally do driving from Huntsville to Athens to see my daughter, but on this trip (yesterday morning), I had no longer gotten on 285 than the traffic came to a standstill due to a wreck ahead blocking ALL lanes! I sat still for over an hour before I could creep up to an exit and go around! Mad

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post