SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any aftermarket DeWalt 20V batteries worth buying?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any aftermarket DeWalt 20V batteries worth buying? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I'd like to get another 20V 5 (or greater) amp hour battery for my DeWalt leaf blower. I see some aftermarket ones on Amazon for considerably less than the DeWalt brand. Anyone know if they are worth it? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38713 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've bought some 18 & 24 volt DeWalt aftermarket batteries and have never had any luck with them. Also got ripped on some Graco's. I just bought two 20V 5 amp DeWalt from Lowes, not cheap but if a problem they are easy to return.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good point about being able to return them. I was hoping the others would be good because they are so much less. Guess you get what you pay for.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38713 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I tried to save some money with knockoffs and was disappointed.

If your patient you can find them on some "reconditioned" or "factory blems" tool sights which is just how they get around selling them for cheaper then map pricing.

I typically wait till I can get the 5amp 20v xr batts for about 45-50 dollars on seasonal deals then apply store credits or coupons.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Try the pawn shops or Facebook marketplace for OEM batteries at a lower cost than the big box stores.

The aftermarket batteries will disappoint you at best and fry your tools at worst.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
There may be a place near you that repairs old batteries.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Lowe’s currently has a deal on two 5aH batteries with charger and bag for $199 and you get to pick a tool at no extra charge.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Friday sales have been good for Lowes and Home Depot for batteries.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Lowe’s currently has a deal on two 5aH batteries with charger and bag for $199 and you get to pick a tool at no extra charge.

Home Depot has basically the same promo, but with a 4 and 6 AH batteries.

Lowe's had two 5 AH batteries for $99 a few weeks ago.

Keep your eyes on HD, as they frequently have deals on batteries.

Some times a three pack, 2/4/6 AH combo... and the like.
Another place is Farm and Fleet. They had some of the larger DeWalts marked down 50% a month ago.

I only buy OEM batteries and only when on sale or with a free tool deal.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll definitely keep my eye on HD and Lowes.

I have a DeWalt cordless drill with charger and two 1.3aH batteries and the blower with one 5aH battery and charger. They all work fine, but for blowing leaves, I really need another higher aH battery or two. Or I take more breaks. Big Grin

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I think the DeWalt chargers know if it's a oem or knock off battery. If it's a knock off it won't fully charge them and after awhile not charge them at all. Had a friend who bought some knock offs and bragged them up to anyone who would listen for about a month. I asked him about them after a month because he quit yakking about them and he said one totally wouldn't charge and the other one lasts about 5 minutes run time in his drill.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll definitely keep my eye on HD and Lowes.

I have a DeWalt cordless drill with charger and two 1.3aH batteries and the blower with one 5aH battery and charger. They all work fine, but for blowing leaves, I really need another higher aH battery or two. Or I take more breaks. Big Grin

With the leaf blower, you will want the 12aH if DeWalt has one that size. I have Milwaukee and have a variety of 1.5, 3 and 5aH batteries but use the 12 for the leaf blower.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

With the leaf blower, you will want the 12aH if DeWalt has one that size. I have Milwaukee and have a variety of 1.5, 3 and 5aH batteries but use the 12 for the leaf blower.

Thanks for the tip. I see DeWalt makes a 10aH.

Based on the info above, I'm going to make a trip to Home Depot and see what I can see.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No, nada, nope, nada, hell no, ain't gonna happen. Generic batteries are a problem for all major brand battery driven tools, Dewalt included. The reason I believe is the shitty quality of the batteries used as well as zero intelligence built into the battery and/or tool that manages the power. Each major brand of higher grade battery power tools (Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee etc.) build their batteries and tools to talk to one another for power management, heat/overload protection, and to maximize power versus battery life. Throw in a generic battery from who knows where, and the whole system breaks down. Sorry for the bad news. And yes I've tried it myself, and know someone else who also tried it, in both cases we just threw those brand new generic batteries in the garbage. Based on that experience and everyone else having the same bad results, I belive the jury is IN on that one.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I just read an ad from Blaines that has a 4 pack of DeWalt Batteries on sale for Black Friday only.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/s...221118+BF+Sneak+Peek

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I just read an ad from Blaines that has a 4 pack of DeWalt Batteries on sale for Black Friday only.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/s...221118+BF+Sneak+Peek

I wish they had a greater amp-hour rating, Lon.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple "power extra" batteries for my Milwaukee stuff and haven't been too impressed. I don't think they are quite up to snuff and have trouble with the contacts loosing connection at times requiring me to remove and firmly reinstall the battery to get it to work.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's some old sale pricing (expired 10/5/22) from Blaine's for comparison.

(2) 3 AH batteries reg 189, no sale tag
(2) 4 AH batteries reg 219, sale 149
(2) 5 AH batteries reg 239, sale 189
(1) 8 AH battery reg 229, no sale tag
(1) 10 AH battery reg 259, sale 129
(2) 2 AH, (2) 4 AH batteries reg 329, sale 179
(1) 2 AH, (1) 4 AH, (1) 6 AH batteries reg 299, sale 149

$10-12 per AH is a good price for straight batteries.
$20 per AH is pretty standard for battery/tool combo deals.

posted Hide Post
He specifically states, if Menards is in the area and homedepotrebates.com?
Along with the fact Menards doesn't sell Milwaukee or DeWalt tools.

I'm aware of how the Menards 11% works, but never heard of HD doing it.

Given my purchase habits at HD, I'd definitely be saving money. Wink

posted Hide Post
Menards 11% isn't continuous, it ends today for 2022. Will start back up next year after the holidays.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post