SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is two coats of minwax wipe on varnish enough.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is two coats of minwax wipe on varnish enough. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Varnishing some blue pine for an interior project. I am assuming two coats is enough. Do three?
I lightly sanded it and applied one, let it dry. Lightly sanded again and wiped off with a tac cloth and applied a second coat. Call it good or do another?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Call me silly, but what do the directions on the container say? Big Grin

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Vertical or horizontal surface(s) and will these surfaces see much abuse/moisture? Wipe on poly goes on really thin and two coats isn't a lot of protection. Then again, if what you're coating is the sides of a dresser, then two coats might be plenty.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Two might work.
How does it look?
Does it get a lot of physical use?
If so then do three.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, thanks. It looks good. Your thoughts do make sense. It's going to be trim and some vertical cabinetry ect. Probably a third coat is warranted.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Ok guys, thanks. It looks good. Your thoughts do make sense. It's going to be trim and some vertical cabinetry ect. Probably a third coat is warranted.

If the color looks good/right, switch to clear from the same brand. Put a few quarts of clear on and that will help prevent wear. Clear comes in either satin or glossy depending on the finish you're hoping to achieve.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

If the color looks good/right, switch to clear from the same brand. Put a few quarts of clear on and that will help prevent wear. Clear comes in either satin or glossy depending on the finish you're hoping to achieve.

Umm, varnish is clear, you're not thinking about stains are you?

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Umm, varnish is clear, you're not thinking about stains are you?

A lot of varnish has a tint to it, some more than others. The more coats you build up of varnish, the darker it generally gets. I've varnished, miles of teak on yachts putting on as many as 14 coats. Most of the time you need to build up at least 4 coats before you wouldn't see the grain showing through in the varnish and for the varnish to be perfectly smooth. Polyeurethane clear will cure harder than Polyeurethane varnish, so putting a couple coats of clear over eurethane varnish (provided it's compatible, same brand etc.), will result in a tougher finish against chips and damage. Varnish is soft to allow for flexing and movement of the wood. Outdoors this is important for drastic temperature swings and humidity changes, inside a house it is not.

Everything you want to know about varnish:

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/s...-vs-regular-varnish/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually think of 3 or 4 wipe on coats as similar to 2 regular brushed on coats. I am starting to like the look of wipe on finishes more and more.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I refinished a Baldwin piano a number of years ago. I wanted a deep finish and changed the stain from blond to walnut. Once I started the clear coat, I put on about 4 coats of high gloss, using steel wool and a tack cloth between each coat. Then I applied 2-3 coats of satin over the gloss. I used very fine steel wool on these coats.

The result was great. Sure, it took some time but it is a lifetime finish that has received many positive comments.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The number of coats after two only determines on how it will look.
The more prep aka sanding and more coats followed up with finish sanding mostly makes it look better.
More coats will add some protection but after a few that effect diminishes a bit.
Additional coats and sanding also takes out the grain and replaces with a smoother surface if so desired or needed.
YMMV

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post