SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost misfire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost misfire Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The Flex has been solid since I simply move the coils between 4 and 6. No misfires and it seems to have more power that before.

I finally have a feee afternoon and I’m trying to get the plugs changed out before going on our trip tomorrow. I just pulled the first one, from 6, and it appears the insulation is cracked. Perhaps this was the ultimate root of the problem.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
All 6 changed out without significant issues. The connectors were a bit of a bear on the backside and the coils themselves were a bit hard to break free of the spark plugs, but it wasn’t too bad at all.

First test drive, though, was not good. No power. Running rough.

Then I realized I forgot to plug back in a wire… turns out it was the injector wires for the right bank.

Second test drive great. Noticeably more power, no pending codes. I think we have a success.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad it seems to be resolved.
Still haven't gotten around to doing my sister's Edge.
We've been so busy that we haven't been able to coordinate a time, and not having a garage necessitates needing clear/pleasant weather to do it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I change the plugs in our flex at 60K, but it is a 2015 Ecoboost, so they may have increased the interval for '16. As an aside, make sure you change the oil in the PTU or whatever the hell it is called every 30K. Ford says it is lifetime, it most definitely is not.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My F-150 EB chews plugs up within 50K miles. The first time the gap had went from something like .030 to .046.

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: December 11, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:
I change the plugs in our flex at 60K, but it is a 2015 Ecoboost, so they may have increased the interval for '16. As an aside, make sure you change the oil in the PTU or whatever the hell it is called every 30K. Ford says it is lifetime, it most definitely is not.

I wonder why they changed it for the ‘16. The manual absolutely says 100k. Maybe the original plugs in yours are platinum and not iridium?

I know earlier in this thread there was some mention of the Motorcraft being Autolite or NGK… the boxes for the SP534’s I just put in say they are made in Japan.