SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help finding a tablet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a tablet Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted
My daughter has a new HP laptop that is fantastic, but at 17 inches and good speakers it is very heavy.

The tablet options are endless and I am behind the curve on researching these things.

I would like to get her a light tablet she can use office 365 on that is a must
need one drive to work and access to her google docs should be easy.
must have a good stylus and front camera for zoom.

I am hoping to have it be no more than 11 inches.

Cost is not an issue

Thank you for your help!
Tim

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If smaller is the order of the day then the MS Surface Pro is a great machine.
Can be fairly powerful, detachable keyboard, touch screen, great resolution, dockable, I prefer a Pro OS not Home.
Not real cheap though.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Best Buy has the Surface Pro 7+, i5, keyboard cover, 256gb SSD:

$750 Link

Add the pen for $100.

They have the same thing with the pen but only a 128gb SSD for $801.

My son has used it for Chemistry, Macro Economics, English Comp 101, and Pre Calc so far. He uses One Note. We tried One Note on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, but the Android version is lacking especially when it comes to writing equations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
What type of cell phone does she have? Apple or Android. Get the tablet to match.

If she has an iPhone then get her an iPad (pro?)
If she has an android phone, get her a Samsung galaxy tablet.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Seems like an iPad Pro would meet all those requirements and then some?

Pretty seamless to work horizontally across an iphone and macbook if you have them. Big fan of airdop now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If you have to run Office 365 apps, you are going to want either a Windows tablet or an Apple iPad. I was put off of Windows tablets when a strong Windows advocate at one of my customers wanted to use one as a base in a conference room setting. Without going into details, it was an abject disaster.

If substitutes for O365 are acceptable, your best bang for the lowest buck outlay will be the Amazon Fire line of tablets. There are a few drawbacks however that you may or may not be able to live with. First of all, the version of Android installed on these tablets is a non-standard distribution and is not 100% compatible with apps from the Google Play store. There are workarounds that allow most to work just fine, but if you are heavily invested in the Googleverse, you will have to do a little extra work to get where you might want to be. The Amazon app store is pretty well stocked, but most people in the Android world will assume you are running a standard platform if you ever have to ask for help, and there is a lot of virtue in being able to move seamlessly between ones phone and ones tablet (e.g. by having the same apps on both).

Second, the Fire tablets are loaded with adware that runs on the welcome screen. Some people seem to be very sensitive to this, and there is a way to get around them (by "rooting" the system). Again, more work to do to get things the way you want, if you are inclined to "go off the reservation."

I have an older 8" Fire tablet that I pretty much only use as a book reader. It is fine for that purpose, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as a general-purpose computing device.

In looking very quickly at Amazon, Fire tablets are going from $60-$90, Android $120-$200, and MS Surface $300-$700, a clear differentiator, but not necessarily one that reflects relative value.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are using office, a Microsoft surface pro is the way to go.

They have all different price points depending on your needs.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
My wife has a surface pro and I think it is pretty heavy for its size, i was hoping for something lighter
Thanks to all for your input

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the iPad Pro (I’m using it now). Both my wife and I use them exclusively when not at our desktop, which seems to be about 99% of the time.

You can use office 365 easily on an iPad…
https://support.microsoft.com/...3b-832f-558145681219

You can get a new gen iPad Pro 11” with all the bells and whistles for about $1400.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I think she’d be well suited with an Apple iPad Air (newest is 5th gen). It’s 1 pound less than the surface pro, half a pound less than the iPad Pro, is powered by the powerful M1 chip and is right under the 11 inches you requested (10.9). As mentioned above Office is no longer a Windows only software and she can use it.

I’d bump the capacity from the default 64GB to 256GB and that brings the price to $649 on Target’s website (online price). The Apple Store online was down so I couldn’t check if they had refurbished units available. Add the 2nd generation Apple Pencil for another $90. That brings the price to $750. She can always choose a case/keyboard combo if that’s her style, a stand alone Bluetooth keyboard or none at all.

Based on what you mentioned, I think this is a great choice for her.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post