SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $99 Apple TV 4k Deal At Walmart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$99 Apple TV 4k Deal At Walmart Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Looks like Walmart's clearing out the previous generation of Apple TV 4K's: Apple TV 4K 32GB

I just picked one up at a local Walmart. Their store system wasn't showing the reduced price, but they checked and got a manager to override the price to give me the deal.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
New version will launch later this year? I heard new version will be cheaper (but better) than current generation? What to do, what to do....?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12744 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The new version of the Apple TV 4K launched a month or two ago: Apple TV 4K (new/2021). MSRP is the same price as the one Walmart's selling used to be: $180.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just in time as my 17yr old Sharp Aquos wall mounted set gave up the ghost, many good years though. Picked up a 2021 Samsung 4k Qled and already have an Apple TV 4k. The new remote is nice, especially it's aluminum, thicker and a tad larger than the previous gen, plus my favorite, a mute button for the unexpected commercial breaks.

What an education having to purchase a new TV after 17yrs. I've not ever viewed 4k content on a TV, and I hear now that 8k is on the horizon, as always.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Oh. Didn’t know that. Dunno what is better about it but I may get one just for the remote. I’ve really come to HATE the current remote. The touch pad and the search button. Whoever designed the remote should go back to school from scratch.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12744 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
The Apple TV 4K is a very good streaming device. I prefer it to the Roku. $100 for last model is only OK if you are also going to drop $60 on new remote. At that point, probably best to pony up the additional $20 for the new processor.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you can't stand the first generation Apple TV 4K's remote, so you'd replace it with the new remote, anyway, it would probably make more sense to pay the additional $20 for the new 4K device.

Personally, I never had a big problem with the old 4K's remote and am happy to save the $80 Smile

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The remote works just fine on previous generations, mine did. With that said, there are a few nice improvements with the newer one. Firstly, as or for a blockhead like myself, I must have dropped it at least 50 times. So I purchased a case much like most smartphone cases. Second, for this blockhead I had to wrap a few turns of masking tape around the bottom of the remote. This helped me in low light conditions that by the tactile feeling of the tape I knew which end of the remote I was at. So many times coming out of a snooze I'd grab the remote from the wrong end as in low light they look the same, and I'd push the button to take me back to the main page instead of hitting the menu button if the remote was the right position. Thirdly, the newer remote has my saving grace..a mute button to quickly dispatch the volume at the beginning of a commercial break in a show without having to find the volume up/down button. And lastly, the newer remote has a power on/off button in the upper right of the remote. No longer do I use the menu button to navigate to the system menu and find the sleep mode.

These may seem like minor differences, but for this blockhead made it easier to use the remote and more useful control of the TV.

And this is where they get you, upgrade some features and bingo, more $$. Though I was talking about loving to have a mute button on the remote even before I knew they had this newer one.

In addition, I haven't yet actually used it operationally as my TV install isn't yet complete. The write-ups claim that it's much easier to use the wheel at the top for navigating. I will say that I prefer the size of the new one, it has similar square edges like the new iPhone 12's, I like that more solid feel over the thinner and more rounded edges of the previous gens.

It just boils down to what works better for you. I felt the new features and buttons were a nice upgrade...YMMV.

Here's a size comparison snap. Additionally you can see my blockhead tape job and the previous remote has the case on it. Btw, it does help protect the remote from the drops Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I use my Apple TV daily but I don't even know where my Apple TV remote is...

I use either the remote app on my phone or my URC universal remote to control the Apple TV.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know you had me thinking, I wonder if the new Samsung TV remote would control everything? It does have Amazon and I think Sling or HULU buttons supposedly. I haven't even pulled the TV display out of the box yet but did read it doesn't need batteries, it plugs in to charge or has a solar panel on the back side of the remote. No matter, I've already got a mass of remotes for my home theatre, old Sony XBR and now these. I've had universals in the past but they're long gone.

I wonder if the Samsung remote has a mute button SmileUPDATE: The Samsung remote has a mute feature! Additionally the remote has 3 buttons for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Samsung TV whatever that is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just1tym,

Regards, Will G.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Maybe should start a new thread but since this is related to affordable streaming devices: seems like Comcast is offering some sort of streaming device with app support similar to Apple TV and fire tv for free. You just need Comcast Internet service.

Anybody using it? Good alternative to Apple TV? Don’t care about comparing to fire tv as I’ll never go back to one of those again.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our Apple 4K TV is our daily streaming device. Other then the remote, it’s perfect for our needs. We us a Harmony Home Remote for controlling everything.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A few years back I had a Logitech Harmony Universal for my Home Theatre also, until the wifey sprayed cleaner on it a few times cleaning off the shelves of my entertainment center. She wasn't aware of it sitting face up on the top shelf. Razz

Regards, Will G.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know you had me thinking, I wonder if the new Samsung TV remote would control everything? It does have Amazon and I think Sling or HULU buttons supposedly. I haven't even pulled the TV display out of the box yet but did read it doesn't need batteries, it plugs in to charge or has a solar panel on the back side of the remote. No matter, I've already got a mass of remotes for my home theatre, old Sony XBR and now these. I've had universals in the past but they're long gone.

I wonder if the Samsung remote has a mute button SmileUPDATE: The Samsung remote has a mute feature! Additionally the remote has 3 buttons for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Samsung TV whatever that is.

I use an old first generation 4k TV, my Samsung remote controls my receiver and Chromecast over the ARC and an IR blaster in the closet with my Chromecast and receiver. It obviously controls the Prime, Netflix, etc through the TVs Smart TV menus as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can only hope that Apple improves its SEARCH function. Good lord does it suck, even when linked with my phone, which it sometimes doesn't do, it can take some time.

As for the remote itself, I'm good with the size, but, wish it either had some tactile features so you know which end is up (good idea just1tym!) and/or, a low-level background light on the keys so you don't accidentally hit the wrong button as you're groping for it in the dark.

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
doesn't look anything like a tv to me ???? did I sleep thru it??

Posts: 5601 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post