SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have backyard-style grills almost doubled in price since 2021?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have backyard-style grills almost doubled in price since 2021? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
Looking at replacing a couple grills and was quite surprised at the prices.

Was looking to buy a basic gas/charcoal grill and a basic charcoal grill to replace ones I last bought in 2021 at about $500 total for both, and found the current pricing for those exact models would total north of $800.

Have prices for grills shot up that much in two years, or am I just buying at the wrong time of year, and need to wait for a sale?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I bought a new propane grill around 6 or 7 months ago and it was not much more than the one I'd bought before it by 8 years or so. Maybe 10% or 15% more is all.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was looking to buy a basic gas/charcoal grill and a basic charcoal grill to replace ones I last bought in 2021 at about $500 total for both, and found the current pricing for those exact models would total north of $800.

You bought them in 2021 and they already need to be replaced?

I'm still using a grill I bought in 1996. Granted, I've replaced the burners a few times but the cabinet is still solid, not rusty.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a head-scratcher.
Well, he did pay $500 for them both.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy crap YES!!!

Had a 8yr old Weber 3 burner in AZ. Paid about 400 then.
moved and decided not to take it and just get another in SC. Huge mistake.

Same model Weber just cost 698!!!

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, they have gone up that much.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at a Yoder. $2K+. Eek

I figure I could sell my Egg and Traeger to offset the price a bit though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

I'm still using a grill I bought in 1996. Granted, I've replaced the burners a few times but the cabin

et is still solid, not rusty.

Genesis?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Master Built gravity series 800 today from my local Wally, regular price was $700 had it marked down to 198. They also had a 6 burner Cuisanart for 125 regular 450. They are out there. I had a Weber for 20 plus years, after it took h finally bit the bullet and rebuilding it was cost prohibitive, I bought one of the Cuisanarts 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. Webers are great grills but like everything else, they aren’t what they used to be.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago I bought a Weber Summit grill center to complement my new deck, I paid about $2800 for it.
I just looked and see the price is now $4500.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The question should be more: What HASN’T doubled in price in the past two years?

I’m trying to get an idea of what replacing 24 each 72 year old windows in my house will cost and what I’m seeing is frankly shocking. Eek

But one thing the OP hasn’t thought of, this is NOT grill season. Wait till May or so at least if you can.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

The devil here is in the details I forgot to mention. My bad.

The upside of that house's situation is also (in this and many other maintenance-related issues) the downside - location is the Outer Banks, 300 ft from the Atlantic, and it's used 8 months of the year by renter/guests who don't care about maintenance things like covering BBQ equipment. I started off getting covers for the barbecues, but somehow those were never on the premises when I returned. Frown

When I first got the house, I entertained the idea of getting stainless grills that, according to manufacture claims 'would last.' The maintenance folks at the property management company, who run a couple hundred rental houses out there, told me that, 'Yeah, some of our clients have tried that. Instead of rusting out every year like the inexpensive ones, their expensive stainless ones lasted 12 months.' Wink

It's amazing what salt, spray, sand, sun, rain, and the wind profile that caused the Wright Brothers to go there all the way from Ohio does to stuff out there. And not in a good way. The Weber Genesis here at home is about 15 years old and is pristine. Those on the OBX turn to hulks every year.

Thanks for the perspectives on today's BBQ prices. I guess I'll wait for a sale and see if that might mitigate the 'ouch' a bit.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've been looking at a Yoder. $2K+. Eek

I figure I could sell my Egg and Traeger to offset the price a bit though.

Don't sell your Egg, you'll regret it. I had a Yoder YS600 and it was every bit the tank it's claimed to be. Mine was the older controller and had wild temp swings that Yoder faithful tell you to ignore. If you're used to food smoked on the Egg you might not be completely happy with pellet smoked food, it's not the same. I sold my Yoder after a couple years then a couple years later I bought a RecTec primarily for smoking/cooking chicken breast during the week. Temp holds rock steady and it makes great chicken. Pork and beef still go in the Egg or the kamado.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OP:

If this grill is going to be at a beach house, I would advise you just buy a cheaper grill that you plan to get 2-3 years out of and then you replace it. Treat it as an almost disposable item. Maybe a Char-Broil or something?

When we go to Sandbridge, VA it seems like most of the rentals down there are controlled by two companies, and they all use a standard gas grill that they replace as needed. The one year I went out to grill some skirt steak and noticed that the grate was a little rusty, so I started brushing that, then I started brushing the grill tubes which promptly disintegrated into rust. I called and bitched, and they had a new grill out there within two hours.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even bother with an expensive grill like a Traeger or a Weber. That salt air means those things have a short shelf life of just a few years.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As a rental, treat it as a disposable part of the property like PASig said, get an inexpensive grill and expect to replace it.

Or, build a concrete block fire pit/grill then your only replacement would be the grate on an annual basis.

Salt sea air can do a lot of damage.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's amazing what salt, spray, sand, sun, rain, and the wind profile that caused the Wright Brothers to go there all the way from Ohio does to stuff out there. And not in a good way. The Weber Genesis here at home is about 15 years old and is pristine. Those on the OBX turn to hulks every year.

OK. Now I get it.
BTW... I've stayed there. It was fun.

If you were here... I'd tell you to grab this one for $350:
https://stlouis.craigslist.org...rill/7579281296.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
And I’d go to Craigslist or Facebook Yardsale etc for a Weber charcoal kettle if you want to get one of those for your rental. Get a yard sale model for 25-50 bucks and put a new grate on it and be done, the new ones start at like $150 and up.