SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is attached to this car?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is attached to this car? Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted
Driving home on the 101S and saw a Subaru with a pipe looking thing apparently attached to the exhaust. Then some wires or hoses running from said pipe thing into the rear passenger seat. It looked like there was a big black box in the back these hoses or wires ran into. There was also a black thing on the gas cap or in place of the gas cap. Never seen anything like this before.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
No clue. Maybe a Jack Kevorkian "DIY" kit?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My guess it's some sort of smog analytical device or the person is trying to commit suicide...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Some kind of test car measuring exhaust emissions?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Modified Flux Capacitor

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Flux Capacitor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's an adiabatic homogenizer ala Smokey Yunick.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s a Borg-mobile

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Modified Flux Capacitor

Were they doing 88?

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The owner was caught running non ethanol fuel and creating too many hydrocarbons by CARB, he is now forced to breath his own emmissions as a penalty for warming the air in CA....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Haha my first thought was suicide, but when I got along side it, it appeared to be two guys in button down shirts talking. Flux capacitor would be fucking cool, but no Doc or Marty inside. The license plate was a CA plate, DST down the left side of the plate, 18593 across as the main identifiers, and what looks like 26B down the right side of the plate. My guess was measuring emissions, but not sure why on what doesn't look like a new car.

quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Modified Flux Capacitor

Were they doing 88?

Haha no only doing 65, no blue light with them shooting off in a fire trail...

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
the Ex-Bomb attachment?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Oscillation overthruster.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A non-reversible tremie pipe to the differential girdle spring on the “up” end of the grammeters.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
That is the modern version of the old PONDO device (developed by Volkswagen for the air cooled engines)...it recirculates the exhaust gasses into the PONDO separator where hydrocarbons, especially carbon monoxide are converted into oxygen at a great loss of temperature...the oxygen released into the inside of the vehicle can be 23 degrees cooler than outside temps...sort of a exhaust powered "air conditioner"...they have been around since the early 1950s...I haven't seen one in use for years.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Nismo has it right. The mobile FE measurement device is used more and more these days. Chassis dynamometer testing is more precise and more accurate, but real world measurements are of interest.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
So likely an emissions device. Pretty interesting and very odd to see. Those emissions devices look a little more intense at that link, but if it is, guess they moved a lot of the stuff inside the car.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like a veeblefetzer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Looks like a veeblefetzer.

That was the original name of the PONDO device IIRC...the name change was due to using redwood chips in the device here in the states Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post