SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Low and slow pork butts- do you wrap ‘em?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low and slow pork butts- do you wrap ‘em? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I do 8 pounders +/-, up to 3 at a time on my BGE and I've never felt the need to wrap them unless I felt timing might be helped by doing so. It's such a crap shoot trying to time them but I do them around 225* and don't keep good notes if it's winter or summer and curse myself as if notes would help. Big Grin

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Well, it took 12 hours (and I cheated a little at the end and bumped it to 275 to get that last ten degrees), but man oh man did it turn out good. Didn't even need a fork, it just fell apart.
It looks fantastic. Twelve hours including letting it rest for an hour or two? I've only done 8-10 pound butts and that's about what they take plus the rest.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrapped when I first started smoking but now I put the butt on before bed and let it go all night and as long as needs next day. I rarely even use a thermo any more it's just all feel and look and experience. results are the best I've achieved. no expensive smoker either just the WSM.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Last Butts I did on the Trager, Prep the night before is injection with Myron Mixons pork injection which is apple juice, vinegar, sugar, which is made on the stove at a low temp, cooled then injected.

Seasoning is Good Shit which is a bit sweeter of their seasoning. Let sit overnight
covered in the fridge, remove the next day and let warm up before going on the smoker.

Start out with the P setting at max smoke and 250, watch the temps rise, generally straight on the rack, then as it gets close to stall, pan and cover to get through, as was said, as some point its no longer about smoke, it's about heat.

Remove, rest and pull once it hits 205 internally.

Couldn't find the pulled pork picture, so here's a picture of some pulled chicken Big Grin

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a nice big Boston butt roast yesterday to smoke on Sunday. I will apply my rub the night before and leave in the fridge. Next day, will fire up my Cook Shack smoker(love this thing) with a combo of hickory and a few pieces of charcoal.....insert the temp probe..... and off to the races. I will let it rest for 1-2 hours once it is done. I will cut off a chunk for supper that evening. I don't pull mine, I let it cool over night and set, then slice it the next day and place portions in vacuum bags and into the freezer. This system works great for me, and allows smoked pork for sandwiches, pork with mashed spuds and gravy, etc. for the coming months.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I've tried all different methods. The one I use now is to wait through the stall, until around 180°. Then I set the butt on foil and make a foil boat. This preserves bark and allows the butt to cook the rest of the way in its own juices.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrap with foil at the stall. Next one I might try the paper wrap instead.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turbo cook the next one, see how it works for you

Smoke at 250 for a couple hours then bump the temp up to 325. It’ll push through the stall, shorten the cook time.

I’ve never been able to taste the difference between 225 and 325. Cooks in 1/2 the time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tent mine. I smoke them for 5 hours, then put them in an aluminum pan (throwaway) with 1" of apple cider in the bottom and tent with aluminum foil.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I like that. Already did the pan and an inch of apple juice so we are both on the right track there. I really like the idea of tenting.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post