SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Boy Mowers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Boy Mowers Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I seen a few mentions of the Bad Boy ZT mowers in the other thread but wanted this thread to be for specific input on that brand. I mow about 2 acres and have been doing it with a 46" Craftsman Pro Series mower. This is our lake property and it was undeveloped land until about 10 years ago when it was broken up into 13 3 acre plots for development.

Everyone's lawn is rough. I call it lawn mower rodeo because you feel like you been in one when you're done. I've been hauling in loamy sand and filling it and drag raking it the last couple years so it is improving.

Anyhow I have a Bad Boy dealer in town and looked at the ZT Elite Bad Boy. I was pretty impressed. The decks are built like a tank and it has independent front suspension and a suspended seat. Sounds like it would smooth out those rough spots pretty nicely so I don't feel like I need a chiropractor when finished. Most of what I mow is flat with the exception of about 150' of road ditch and about two swaths would be on a angle.

That Craftsman has held up like a boss the last three years with no breakdowns after getting abused week after week on that 2 acres of bumps and ruts. The BB dealer says they are made in the US and that all steel and parts are sourced in the US. Not sure if that's correct as I can't find where it directly says that on their web site or the brochure I brought home. If true that would put them high on my list over anything else.

Right now it takes me two to two and a half hours to mow. And then a extra half hour or so for weed whacking. But I usually give myself a twenty minute break off the mower for a beer. No chance your going to drink a beverage while mowing that cob! I'm guessing the ZT with even a 48" deck would cut that time considerably. I rather enjoy mowing as I just pop in the ear buds hit the playlist and go. The amount of time isn't really a factor just looking to increase the comfort level and if some time is shaved off that's more time for cool beverages.

Looks like I'd be at $6 grand out the door. Pretty expensive for a little comfort but I'm getting old! So does anyone have a Bad Boy and how are you liking it and how is it holding up? Like I said my Craftsman has been taming the beast and holding up so I don't want to go from trouble free to breakdowns either.

This pic is after I did some discing and raking a couple years ago with minimal results but it gives you a idea of what I'm mowing.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lots of Zturn mower options out there, never had a BB mower but they look good, think I'd go for a bigger deck than 48 though for 2+ acres of open flat land.

At $6K I'd be shopping around, you can get a JD Z turn with a 48 inch deck for $3,200, for $6K you can get a 54 inch deck and lots of options with 25 HP Vtwin engine, JD Z Trek mowers are assembled in Greenville TN.

Link

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I keep hearing about JD and have been for sometime is they are not what they used to be. Particularly in the small residential market. Heavy equipment is another thing.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to say what the deal is on the interweb claims, I've owned several JD residential mowers, none have been problematic or required the dealer to come pick them up for repair, that's dating back to the mid 70's.

I mow 52 weeks a year, we don't get a break in FL from growing grass, so we do in one year what is probably 3 to 4 mowing seasons in WI.

Right now running a JD 130 series with a 42 inch deck and hydrostatic drive, it's now 3 years old, the previous JD 105 ran for about 10 years when I got rid of it for the newer model with bigger deck, hydrostatic drive and the bigger V-twin engine.

For $6K you could get into the X500 or X700 series with the ability to add on devices easily, 54 inch deck etc.

They are built in Greenville TN so hey at least its a Red State USA built unit! Big Grin

Whatever you go with a larger deck and bigger engine is nice, you don't have to run it as long and hard to do the job. Sure someone will chime in as to why you need a Z-turn, but looking at your picture, if it's a flat big open lawn with few trees to go around, either mower type will work, a zturn might be quicker but not sure it's that big a need for an open field yard.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recall that Tim Taylor had a jet powered mower that worked quite well

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you have a Polaris SXS. Is a towed mower deck an option for you?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I see you have a Polaris SXS. Is a towed mower deck an option for you?

Don't think so. It has some pretty aggressive tires and will tear up the grass every time I make a turn. I have three buildings I need to mow around and the Ranger doesn't have the turning radius I would need in those areas. Would just lead to a lot more trimming with the weed whip.

I was at our fleet farm just a bit ago and they have Cub Cadet ZT's. $6500 for a 60" and wasn't built near as well as the Bad Boy and less features. They also had some DeWalt branded mowers (is there anything they won't put their name on?) but looked just like the CC.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have av 2.5 acre lot, guessing I mow about 1.5-1.75 acres. I have a 60" ZT Cub Cadet.
On my 12 th season with it. Couple belts, a couple sets of blades, a set of frt tires and a battery so far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with the brand, but a neighbor states replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.
$300 and something for the starter!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
No personal experience with the brand, but a neighbor states replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.

That's true with any oem product and they probably aren't making aftermarket stuff for the BB yet. I just took the door off my Polaris Ranger and dropped it off at the Polaris dealer to get a power window motor assembly installed. I'm guessing that's going to be around $500.

There is aftermarket stuff for the Polaris but everything is oos! That's the brave new build back better world we live in now.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd take Hustler over Bad Boy every day of the week. Does not mean Bad Boy isn't good but Hustlers/Big Dogs are great, made in Kansas, parts readily available and reasonable $$$.

For cleared land with few obstacles you will not gain as much time savings. Where ztr mowers shine is trimming around trees, bushes and making 180 degree turns. A good lawn tractor gives a pretty decent ride compared to zero turns. Don't overfill your tires and a memory foam seat pad helps the ride considerably.

I've mowed commercially since mid 90s and have bought and sold used mowers longer than that. Now is the right time to buy used and that's what I'd look for.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Like doublesharp said, look into Hustler.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the same 2 acres here in AZ. Ruts, grown over cow plops. Bumpy as hell.

Bought a Troy built Pony in 2016 at lowes for 999.
48 inch deck. Briggs motor. Change the oil and air filter twice a year. Drop the deck and scrap/wash it out.

same mower now is 1999.

Moving to SC, smaller lot. Sold it my neighbor for 700.

Will just get a self propelled when I get there.

Wouldn't spend that much if I were you.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2005, I bought a JD 757. So happy. I mow about 6 acres. I agree with buy used, I have a buddy that buys on Craigslist, cleans and repairs them, and resells.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I bought a jd EZ track 545R last year with a fuel injected 25 hp Briggs. It has been flawless so far. It replaced a Z445 with a 27 hp Briggs. In eco mode I use close to half the amount of gas to cut the same amount of lawn now.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

That's true with any oem product and they probably aren't making aftermarket stuff for the BB yet. I just took the door off my Polaris Ranger and dropped it off at the Polaris dealer to get a power window motor assembly installed. I'm guessing that's going to be around $500.

There is aftermarket stuff for the Polaris but everything is oos! That's the brave new build back better world we live in now.

Just so it's clear, as I didn't really make it clear in the original post.
The starter was 300+ as the neighbor installed it himself.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Like doublesharp said, look into Hustler.

Just been at their web site and the msrp is considerably less than a BB. They don't appear to be as well built but have some nice features. They come standard with a Kawasaki motor which is nice. That's a considerable upgrade on the BB. Other choices are Kohler and Briggs for BB Have a dealer about 30 miles away I will go take a look! Thanks!

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I looked at the specs on BB Elite and they aren't cutting corners. The 3100 Hydro gear transmission is durable and serviceable. 6.5 gallon gas tank is generous, the Kohler engine is probably good but parts will probably be a little harder to find than for a Kawasaki.

With wide open flat ground why wouldn't you insist on a 61" deck? More beer drinking time. Smile

This was my last commercial mower. 1000 cc fuel injected 37hp Kawasaki and 61" deck.

turned this

into this

A few of my past mowers

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
This pic is after I did some discing and raking a couple years ago with minimal results but it gives you a idea of what I'm mowing.

No input on mowers, I mostly find myself mowing brush and use a Gearmore 7’ flail mower with hammer flails behind a New Holland TN-90F. But darn man, that is some beautiful flat ground you have there! Our hay fields aren’t that flat or smooth.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

For cleared land with few obstacles you will not gain as much time savings. Where ztr mowers shine is trimming around trees, bushes and making 180 degree turns. A good lawn tractor gives a pretty decent ride compared to zero turns. Don't overfill your tires and a memory foam seat pad helps the ride considerably.

I've mowed commercially since mid 90s and have bought and sold used mowers longer than that. Now is the right time to buy used and that's what I'd look for.

That was my point with showing the JD 300 to 500 series, some have 4 wheel steering, for less money you get a nice riding mower, a 50 plus inch deck, interchangeability for other things to use it for on some models.

On a flat open lot, the ZT's going to work well, but it's not really needed.

Plus the big JD has a large cup holder for your beverage...