SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another DIE hire bit the dust: Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another DIE hire bit the dust: Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Federal prison making small rocks out of big ones!

She made a target out of her warship!

One need not be a rocket surgeon to see the downside of that.

Her stupidity is tangible.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
TMats, I’ve only been retired a bit over 9 years and can’t picture someone not getting the BCD and some time over the whole deal.

A separate network with WiFi is what the Chiefs mess on that ship had set up, with repeaters to cover the dead zones. That wouldn’t be controlled during river city and could expose the ship not just to internet attacks but could expose the location of the ship during conflict. Folks think it won’t happen to them or they are special, sounds like this mess did anyway. I saw in one article that the ship got official internet later. That would be for the computers on the lan, not WiFi for personal devices. And once the ship had internet underway, it would be controlled to prevent emissions when there’s a risk or just to limit information flow during certain periods or about certain events.

Posts: 721 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with Para, dishonorable and jail. It doesn’t take a genius to see she really fucked up the safety of the sailors and the ship. Then they slap this bitch on the wrist? Way to go Navy! No way am I gonna encourage my kids to join the military.

Posts: 1175 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
DEI for sure. A white dude would have received the punishment Para suggested.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Do they still keel haul in the navy? Might be time to bring it back.

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Big Chicken Dinner, reduced to lowest enlisted rank, loss of pay and benefits, out at nearest port of call.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marrero conspired with the ship’s chief to install the secret network. It would be exclusive to them

There's plenty of problems with Navy acquisition and questionable leadership direction but, this sums up the dissatisfaction seen amongst the bluejackets and the reason for retention issues: bad chiefs. Chiefs are the backbone of the Navy, their guidance and expertise is what holds everything together and makes it work...or, it should be. Her punishment doesn't fit, not to mention the rest of that goat locker should face consequences since they all conspired. She needs to serve time given the security hazard she placed the entire ship in, the rest of the conspirators should get busted down to E-6 at the very least, they abused their position.

quote:
Marrero had paid for the $2,800 Starlink dish on her personal credit card and was the network administrator. She and another chief installed the dish during an "aloft" time period when duties aren’t recorded in the ship’s logs, according to Navy Times.
The Starlink dish was discovered on Aug. 18 of that year by a civilian installing an authorized satellite communication system.

NOBODY topside noticed this device?

https://www.navytimes.com/news...legal-warship-wi-fi/
Read deeper into the linked article and it gets bad with how this clown and the rest of the goat locker set this up.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOBODY topside noticed this device?

Manchester is an Independence Class LCS (the tri-hull).

Looking at pictures, there really doesn't seem to be much open deck topside where there would be a clear view as from the picture below, it appears to have been mounted on the 05 weatherdeck. The antenna itself is 22"x20"x1.6", and is white in color, and is mounted facing upward. That's a pretty small thing to see from the helipad or the bow, where the clearest sightlines are. In fact, it's likely that the mounting location wouldn't be visible from anywhere except the deck where it was mounted, or looking down from the mast.

Furthermore, unless you have sufficient rank, it's not encouraged to "notice" things like antennae, etc., as such systems may be sensitive, and asking about them can bring unwanted attention.

I'm stunned that the chiefs would be so stupid, and astonished that her punishment isn't greater, but the fact that it wasn't noticed by the crew during operations doesn't surprise me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The "bad chiefs" that corsair mentioned, have cost the Navy. I personally knew quite of few guys who went through the same expensive training that I did, Navy guided missile school, and at re-enlistment time, just said "No thanks, I'm not going to stick around. I don't want to deal with the 'Khaki Mafia' and I don't want to become one of them." These friends just walked away after four years, as I did.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
^^I did my 6 and walked for the same reasons^^

Her bio at SURFPAC is, ummm, interesting:
https://www.surfpac.navy.mil/L...iwaw-grisel-marrero/

quote:
Senior Chief Petty Officer Grisel Marrero joined the Navy on August 20, 2002. After completing basic training at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes she attended Information Systems Technician “A” school at NTC Great Lakes, Ill. She holds a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Security and Digital Management. Marrero is a graduate of U.S. Navy Senior Enlisted Academy (Class 225/Green).

Marrero first served at Submarine Group Eight, followed by U.S. Second Fleet as the afloat Flag communicator. She was Sailor of the Year at Combat Direction Systems Activity Dam Neck, completed two combat deployments with Mobile Communications Team attached to SEAL Team Two, and held multiple positions in the joint intelligence and operations departments at U.S. Southern Command.

After serving as the Navy element Senior Enlisted Leader at SOUTHCOM, Marrero was selected for the Command Senior Enlisted Program in February 2021.

Marrero is the Command Senior Chief for USS Manchester (LCS 14) Gold crew.

Her personal awards include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (three awards), Army Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal (four awards), Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (four awards), Army Achievement Medal, Navy Good Conduct Medal (six awards), Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, and various other unit and campaign awards.

Definitely reads like a fast tracked DEI hire.

Masters in "concentration in Information Security" Roll Eyes

I've been out a while, but when did they start making E8's Command "Master/Senior" Chiefs? I don't remember ever hearing of Command "Senior" Chiefs when I was serving in the 80's. Command Master Chief (E9) was the norm, unless I missed something...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6372 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The "bad chiefs" that corsair mentioned, have cost the Navy. I personally knew quite of few guys who went through the same expensive training that I did, Navy guided missile school, and at re-enlistment time, just said "No thanks, I'm not going to stick around. I don't want to deal with the 'Khaki Mafia' and I don't want to become one of them." These friends just walked away after four years, as I did.

As a non-Navy guy, can you explain the "Khaki Mafia" and what the issues are with them?

Posts: 9244 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know where she got both of her degrees. On-line "pay-for-a-diploma" schools?

The Navy can revoke her good conduct medals...anytime now....

Not seeing what type of court martial busted her - summary, special, and general. The reports we are seeing only state a reduction in rank (no confinement or loss of pay) so we might assume it was a summary court martial (nope, Navy Times said it was a special court martial). No matter what, her career is over.
quote:
She charged the $1,000-a-month cost of the network to a leadership association debit card.
Let's hope she had to pay this back.

I don't see a cable in the photo. How does the signal get from the antenna to the router (or whatever)?

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the CPO community is no longer the backbone of the USN.

They have become the problem, not the solution.

Same thing applies to the USCG. The CPO community is big part of sweeping sexual assaults under the carpet.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I would be interested to know where she got both of her degrees. On-line "pay-for-a-diploma" schools?

Trident University International if this is the same person: LinkedIn Link.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Just her doppelganger.

Trident University International. Sounds impressive. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27605 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

In 2022, Elon Musk warned Ukraine the Starlink receiver can be located and targeted by the Russians.

Using Starlink Paints a Target on Ukrainian Troops: www.DefenseOne.com/threats/2023/03/using-starlink-paints-target-ukrainian-troops/384361/

Posts: 2868 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
^^I did my 6 and walked for the same reasons^^

Her bio at SURFPAC is, ummm, interesting:
https://www.surfpac.navy.mil/L...iwaw-grisel-marrero/

quote:
Senior Chief Petty Officer Grisel Marrero joined the Navy on August 20, 2002. After completing basic training at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes she attended Information Systems Technician “A” school at NTC Great Lakes, Ill. She holds a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Security and Digital Management. Marrero is a graduate of U.S. Navy Senior Enlisted Academy (Class 225/Green).

Marrero first served at Submarine Group Eight, followed by U.S. Second Fleet as the afloat Flag communicator. She was Sailor of the Year at Combat Direction Systems Activity Dam Neck, completed two combat deployments with Mobile Communications Team attached to SEAL Team Two, and held multiple positions in the joint intelligence and operations departments at U.S. Southern Command.

After serving as the Navy element Senior Enlisted Leader at SOUTHCOM, Marrero was selected for the Command Senior Enlisted Program in February 2021.

Marrero is the Command Senior Chief for USS Manchester (LCS 14) Gold crew.

Her personal awards include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (three awards), Army Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal (four awards), Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (four awards), Army Achievement Medal, Navy Good Conduct Medal (six awards), Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, and various other unit and campaign awards.

Definitely reads like a fast tracked DEI hire.

Masters in "concentration in Information Security" Roll Eyes

I've been out a while, but when did they start making E8's Command "Master/Senior" Chiefs? I don't remember ever hearing of Command "Senior" Chiefs when I was serving in the 80's. Command Master Chief (E9) was the norm, unless I missed something...

I believe it may have to do with the size of the command. I’ve seen it on Subs.

Posts: 482 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Interesting that her SURFPAC bio fails to mention where she got her degrees. That says something.

Her bio is certainly in need of an update.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

As a non-Navy guy, can you explain the "Khaki Mafia" and what the issues are with them?

In the Navy, the leadership (Officers and Chiefs) wear khaki uniforms (peanut butters) as their service uniform, the rest of the enlisted wear either a service-type or, a working-type uniform depending upon their duty and position. While officers and chiefs wear the similar looking uniforms, it's the chiefs who are watching over the day-to-day routine watches, duties, maintenance and evolutions.

Chiefs hold a special place in the navy, with many unique privileges that even senior sergeants in the other services don't have; they have their own berths, and dine in their own space aboard ship called the Goat Locker, these spaces are off-limits to everyone to include officers unless invited. They are the experts in their areas, when things breakdown, complications come up or, problems arise, the chief is there (usually) able to answer any question. They uphold all the traditions, protocols and routines of the navy. For a chief to go bad like Marrero along with the other chiefs on this ship...it's a serious breaking of trust, confidence and authority.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We understand the 'Khaki' part. What's the 'Mafia" part? Does it describe a group of bad chiefs on all ships? Power-hungry chiefs? All chiefs in general?