SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another DIE hire bit the dust: Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another DIE hire bit the dust: Navy leader demoted after she conspired with chiefs to run illegal Wi-Fi network on warship Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
We understand the 'Khaki' part. What's the 'Mafia" part? Does it describe a group of bad chiefs on all ships? Power-hungry chiefs? All chiefs in general?

Sorry about that.... so chiefs or, as a group called the Goat Locker, can also close ranks and make life difficult when issues arise particularly when one of their own is in trouble or, facing some serious issues. Its very much a protectionism racket where nobody steps on each others toes and will always back-up a fellow chief irregardless of their wrongdoing or, error. Officers give wide deference to chiefs and to the opinions of the Goat Locker. For the rest of the crew, it looks like a mafia operation; it's the old guys sitting around the deli or, cafe smoking cigarettes and sipping coffee summoning others to do their bidding while giving orders. Some goat lockers are great concentrations of knowledge and wisdom, others resemble the worst image of a college frat house or locker room.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. I've known a few retired Navy Chiefs, and they are all very honorable, respectable men who I greatly admire. And I'm aware of the importance of the experience and knowledge of the goat locker from stuff I've read. I figured once you made it to that level the service would have weeded out the deadwood...but I guess that's not always the case Frown.

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I figured once you made it to that level the service would have weeded out the deadwood...but I guess that's not always the case Frown.
Nope. Good or bad, they protect each other. Like "made men." Omerta.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Does she lose her Navy Good Conduct Medal(s) for this?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Does she lose her Navy Good Conduct Medal(s) for this?

Nope.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can attest that members of the armed forces who do stupid or evil things aren’t limited to women or members of some so-called “minority” group. But I do agree that the punishment in this case hardly fits the crimes. I knew a CW2 chief warrant officer who was caught falsifying an investigative report pertaining to theft of personal property to make it look like he’d followed up on some very unlikely leads when he hadn’t. His punishment was to be reclassified to another MOS and also reduced in rank to E-7.

What I find interesting, though, is what this case illustrates about the mindsets of the people involved. When civilians without the slightest knowledge of history can blithely assume that a major war in Europe started by a semicrazy autocrat with access to nuclear weapons can’t possibly affect us in our cozy cocoon, that’s one thing. When senior noncommissioned officers serving on a warship evidently have no appreciation for the state of the world today and what sort of situation they may find them and their ship in at a moment’s notice, however, that’s simply incomprehensible—or should be anyway.

During Cold War I, most soldiers like me who weren’t in the combat arms admittedly didn’t fret too much about massive forces of the Evil Empire being staged across a border a few miles away because we generally had other things on our minds. But I always thought that the guys manning the tanks and APCs who trained and pulled border duty probably had an idea of the seriousness of what they might be called upon to do. Now, however? Is it really true that using proper pronouns gets more attention than the fact that the enemy’s knowing your precise location at sea would make it easier for them to rain death and destruction on you, and that’s a very real possibility these days?

The consequences of this sort of thing are yet one more reason to hope I’m not around to see them when they inevitably occur.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Funny to hear “Goat Locker.” I am familiar with the term, but during my time it was always the “Chief’s Mess.”

Posts: 482 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
Any reason she set it up in the first place? What scrutiny was she and the other chiefs trying to avoid? Seems all of them should have faced punishment for their complicity.

They were using it for their personal use like streaming movies, etc.

But I am you. Anyone who used the network is just as guilty as tshe was. I understand how chiefs can cover up some infraction but those infractions won't have any effect outside of a small circle. This is the equivalent of conspiring with the other chiefs to have all the portholes and doorways open to the outside with bright lights streaming out doing night transits; it's saying, "Here we are!"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
What I can’t see, is what use she is, now, to the service?

I was never in, so I don’t feel like I can comment on her punishment, but if someone repeatedly and regularly lied to her supervisors about a vital issue, she’s not trustworthy to either those below her or above her.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
What I can’t see, is what use she is, now, to the service?
None, that I can see. She's damaged goods (probably all of those other chiefs involved are, too). She has lied (repeatedly) and no reasonable CO would want her on their ship or their land-based command in any position of leadership. Can't be trusted. Won't get promoted, not with a special court martial (SCM) in her records. Being DEI, she will probably be allowed to serve in her current rating to 20 and retire, hopefully with a general discharge.

Your reputation is everything in the military. It takes time and effort to build up and can be lost in the snap of a finger. As the say - "One aw-shit cancels out all atta-boys".

It's too bad just one of the chiefs didn't have the guts to stand up and say 'this is wrong'.

No more good conduct medals for her. Too bad they can't revoke the ones she has.
quote:
I don’t feel like I can comment on her punishment
I can. Punishment absolutely didn't fit the crimes. I'd like to see the SCM proceedings.

FYI, from Military.com:

Special Court Martial

A special court martial consists of a panel of not less than three members and a military judge, or an accused may be tried by military judge alone on their request. Enlisted members may request that the panel be made up of at least one-third enlisted personnel.

A special court martial is often characterized as a misdemeanor court, and may try anyone subject to the UCMJ, including enlisted members, officers and midshipmen.

A special court martial may impose any punishment except death, dishonorable discharge, dismissal, confinement for more than one year, hard labor without confinement for more than three months, forfeiture of pay exceeding two-thirds pay per month, or any forfeiture of pay for more than one year.

The accused has a right to be represented by a free military attorney or may hire their own civilian lawyer.

If found guilty, members can receive a bad conduct discharge, confinement of up to one year, hard labor without confinement for up to three months and forfeiture of up to two-thirds their monthly pay for up to one year. Enlisted members may be reduced to the lowest enlisted pay grade, officers found guilty in a special court-martial can't be reduced in rank or discharged as a sentence of special court martial.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, can you really blame her? How else was she going to be able to post on Facebook and Instagram? We all know how important that is and how nobody can be expected to do without that ability. And, let's not forget those life-changing and world-altering sports scores? Jesus! How dare we deprive an active duty sailor of that information? Operational security? Following orders? Pfffft. Let's stick to the important stuff like social media, shall we?

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Her bio says she joined the Navy in August of 2002. She has her 20, correct?

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's probably why they didn't bust the piss out of her. Finish current enlistment, and out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's probably why they didn't bust the piss out of her. Finish current enlistment, and out.
One would think a SCM conviction would be an automatic bar to reenlistment. Good riddance.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post