SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nine months after banning 'high capacity' magazines in New Jersey, not a single one has been turned in to Police
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nine months after banning 'high capacity' magazines in New Jersey, not a single one has been turned in to Police Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Kudos New Jersey gun owners. And Beto and his nimrod supporters think a mandatory 'assault weapon' buy back would actually work.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/0...n-a-steel-vault.html

N.J. gun owners are storing ‘thousands and thousands’ of banned gun magazines in a steel vault

When New Jersey’s ban on large-capacity gun magazines went into effect last December, it forced gun owners to make a decision.

Should they turn the magazines over to law enforcement? Should they modify them into compliance? Should they sell them to authorized owners or store them in another state?

Or simply ignore the law which banned magazines that have more than 10 rounds?

There are about one million gun owners in the state, which translates into a huge number of magazines.

Attorney General Gurbir Grewal has previously described large-capacity magazines as “dangerous” because of how they are “disproportionately used in mass shootings.” The law is one of the numerous gun laws that has been passed over the last year, making New Jersey’s tough gun laws even stricter. Possession of a large-capacity magazine gun can result in up to 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.

As the state’s largest gun group challenges the constitutionality of the law, gun owners have had to get creative with how they abide by the law.

Some gun owners have buried their large-capacity magazines in their backyard or behind sheetrock in their garage, said Eric Rebels, a local gun rights activist and owner of GunSitters, a secure firearms storage system company.

Others are opting to store them away from their homes.

“Thousands and thousands” of large-capacity magazines are stored currently at GunSitters in Whippany, where gun owners have handed over their large-capacity magazines, taking advantage of the storage option as litigation plays out, Rebels said. Some have turned over more than 100 magazines, which are held in a 3,000-square-foot steel vault.

In conjunction with County Line Firearms, a gun store in East Hanover where Rebels is a manager, they collect, catalogue and store as many large-capacity magazines as they can. It costs $1.25 per magazine a month to store it there.

Gun stores are legally allowed to store the banned magazines, but they cannot sell them.

The one thing Rebels said gun owners are not doing is handing their large-capacity magazines over to law enforcement, one of the choices state officials encouraged when the law went into effect.

A New Jersey State Police spokesman said not a single large-capacity magazine has been turned in since the law went into effect nearly nine months ago. Residents can also bring them to their local police departments.

“The law is mistargeted. It is not at all surprising to me (that no one has turned them over to State Police),” said Scott Bach, the executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, the organization who is challenging the constitutionality of the law.

“Why would you turn in property you paid money for when a government has banned it when there is a lawsuit challenging it that could take a few years?” he said.

The storage of the banned magazines is also helping to fund the lawsuit challenging the large-capacity magazine ban law. Rebels said 20 percent of the money through the storage program is going towards funding the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol’s lawsuit.

They plan to appeal it up to the U.S. Supreme Court, if necessary, said Bach, the executive director of the organization. If the ban remains intact, Rebels said people who have their magazines stored in the vault can have them modified to 10 rounds or sell or ship them out of state.

While Bach is optimistic his organization will eventually prove that the law is unconstitutional, the courts have routinely disagreed. The latest blow was when a federal judge ruled in July that the law is constitutional after the state moved for a judgement on the case. The judge sided with a federal appellate court’s ruling and said its decision “resolves all legal issues in this case.”

The organization plans to file an appeal, Bach said.

An Attorney General spokesperson did not know how many people have been charged with using or possessing a large-capacity magazine, but said they will continue to strictly enforce the law.

“When the Legislature and Governor give us new tools to tackle gun violence, we use them,” the spokesperson said … “By reducing the number of LCMs in circulation, state law limits criminals’ access to these lethal weapons and promotes both public safety and law enforcement safety.”

But pro-gun advocates argue that this law only targets law-abiding citizens, insisting that criminals won’t suddenly stop using large-capacity magazines when committing crimes.

Theresa Napolitano, an attorney who is storing around a dozen magazines at the GunSitters vault, said she “resents the fact that this law went into effect,” but for the time being, the single mother has relinquished the magazines she said makes her feel safe in her home.

“I want to follow the law,” she said. “Even though I don’t agree with it.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident,...

Well, these truths used to be self-evident, should be self-evident, but are no longer self-evident to huge swaths of the American people.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I bet the government is real scared of those magazines locked up in a vault.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The one thing I have learned the last three years is that laws are optional. Since the laws of this nation don't apply to everyone, they apply to no one.

I will NEVER turn in ANY property of mine that I acquired legally.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The left ignoring the laws they don't approve of, just might eventually bite them in the ass.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm just doing the math on $1.25 per month per magazine, just to have a chance sometime in the future at maybe retrieving what you had legally purchased and possessed previously.

For many of us here, that'd be many thousands of dollars per year in storage fees, potentially for naught if the law eventually holds up under the various challenges and appeals.

What a shit sandwich.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
$1.25 per mag/month my storage cost would be more than my house payment.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Every single article on this subject mentions the 1 million gun owners in NJ. I'd like to know where they are. There were a few organized protests in Trenton, prior to the passing of the legislation, where transportation was arranged for anyone who wanted to attend. The turnout each day was pathetic.

Articles like this try to put a brave face on the matter. What it doesn't mention was that one of the options for compliance was simply disposing of the offending magazine on your own. Just dump it in the trash. Why would someone go through the hassle of formally surrendering a magazine when they could just send it out with the garbage?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm maybe we should dumpster dive in NJ. Smile

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Whoa. But wait! No one is asking the correct question. With 'zero' of these high cap mags being turned in, have the streets in NJ run red with blood or are things about exactly as they were before this stupid law was passed? I think all of us know the answer to that question. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is just a big 'Come and take them'.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well my question is if and when the state supreme court rules the law good.... guess what? I bet the the N.J. state police will be at that place the next day with a cutting torch.... or worse..

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Whoa. But wait! No one is asking the correct question. With 'zero' of these high cap mags being turned in, have the streets in NJ run red with blood or are things about exactly as they were before this stupid law was passed? I think all of us know the answer to that question. Roll Eyes

This was my first thought.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Beto "I think I'm Hispanic" O'Rourke, which is a pretty quick "trigger" word for me. I really restrain myself from being crude on the boards here, but Robert Francis can go suck a big bag of dicks.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Yup.
Since the opposition is exempt from the law then I won't burden myself with silly laws of man either.
Molon Labe.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Sssshhh! Don't tell anyone, but I'm holding a box full of those evil mags for someone who lives on the wrong side of the Delaware River.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Anybody wanna venture a guess at how many high cap mags are still in the hands of NJ gun owners who have no intention of ever turning them in? Best course of action for NJ gun owners is to completely ignore this moronic law.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did get a good deal on some Sig mags for a guy in Cook County who was afraid to keep them. Brand new.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for those not turning them in.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post