SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OK biggest newspaper: Publisher calls mtg tells staff that paper is sold and email just sent to those getting fired
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK biggest newspaper: Publisher calls mtg tells staff that paper is sold and email just sent to those getting fired Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Check your email and see if you still have a job...

Article:
https://www.poynter.org/news/o...al-newsroom-staffers

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Back when I was teaching high school, one of the other teachers came through the main office one day and noticed that his mailbox was gone. When he asked about it, the principal said, "Oh yeah, come on into my office: We need to discuss that..." Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive seen it done with meeting minders at 2 locations. Some stay, some go.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Kinda like losing a job at the buggy whip factory. How do you not see that coming?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I can relate. My entire department of 100 people found out we had been eliminated during a conference call... while most of us were out of town at a training event.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
"Good morning, how are you? Is that your lunch?Please come into my office, we need to talk"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for a big snack food company years ago and the District Managers would have a big meeting at the home office once a year and our manager called another asking if they could travel together. The other one paused for a while and then said didn't he get the word? Cold baby.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I advised my Son-in-law to not get into Middle management in any Company. Sooner or later there will be a bullseye on your back to cut back in those positions. MM always gets bloated in every company.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Back in the telecomm crash I knew an engineering group manager who was told to RIF most of his people.
He didn't want to, but did as directed.

The next morning (a Friday) when he pulled into the employee parking lot his boss was waiting for him and RIFed him right there in the parking lot.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
This happened about 15 yrs ago. My sister's neighbor worked for GM engineering and ready to retire in about 6 months. Mgr. called her group into conference room for pizza/Xmas party on last day of work before Xmas break. 1 hour into festivities announces all in attendance are laid off indefinately and not allowed to go back to their desks. Exit door was shown and their belongings were outside the door in boxes with ribbons attached.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One of the bad ones that I've heard is everyone who keeps their job called into a meeting and told everyone outside the meeting room door lost their job. If anyone in the room sets foot outside the conference room door they join the unemployed. The people who didn't pee before the meeting were in rough shape waiting for the rest of the building to get cleared.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ive seen it done with meeting minders at 2 locations. Some stay, some go.

A few years ago I was consulting for a newspaper group (trying to teach them digital marketing) and one day I was at one of their main office when someone approached me and asked if if was there for the big meeting....I immediately called the person who brought me in and asked what was up and did I need to be in on said big meeting the not only was I nervously told no but to get out of their as fast as possible.

I left and found out they split the office up into 2 groups, one when to conference room, the other to training room. While one group learned of new ownership and the wonderful new things coming the other learned they were very unemployed

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to always happen that way. Same for me in 2007 - everyone (300+) called into a big meeting whereas we were told the facility would be closing at the end of the year (this was July).

Go home today, because as of tomorrow most would be let go with a severance package, the rest by the end of the year, and a handful would be offered jobs in other parts of the county. I made it to the end of the year at least. But I had just purchased my house 3 months earlier at the height of the market.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
two very good movies have come out in the last few years dealing with this type of event:

Company Men - with Chris Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Affleck

and

Up in The Air - with George Clooney and Anna Kendrick

very entertaining and 'relate-able' if you've spent time in the corporate world

dealing with downsizing sucks - but you should always have an exit plan B no matter how secure you think you are

no one is beyond the ax - always be networking

i have been downsized twice in 20 years - once an entire business unit was shuttered - 200+ people and the second time a specialty sales / marketing group was deemed redundant - affected about 25 people

life goes on - both times was re-employed within 90 days or so

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And people want me to give notice before up and quitting. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was with a sales agency, the principal sends an early AM email to have everyone meet in a single office for a conference call. With everyone in the agency in the office, the principal calls and lets everyone know he lost the biggest account fired him and everyone has lost their job. Didn't even have the guts to come in, in-person to deliver the news. That was a frosty morning.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
And people want me to give notice before up and quitting. Roll Eyes

Or, laughably, expect any sort of loyalty to the company.

I'm seeing it now with Millennials in the workforce where I work. ZERO LOYALTY and why should they? They get in and keep moving.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the telecomm crash I knew an engineering group manager who was told to RIF most of his people. He didn't want to, but did as directed.

My Manager RIFed me over the phone while I was on vacation. He had a deadline to meet.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one reason I am self employed. The corporate method of termination needs improvement.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
No big deal. Two people on vacation were laid off while they were on vacation. Notified by email and I think a call.

One of the companies I worked for shut down after 3 years operations. We had people reporting for their first day when it was announced the company was shutting down. That's even tougher.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post