SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for a VPN?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for a VPN? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted
I was using Norton VPN because I have an account from XP days using their Anti-virus.
At first it seemed to work pretty well from what I can tell. Then sometimes it was finicky.
Today it would not connect and I went through the troubleshooting for an hour and now I'm done.

What do you all like or dislike?

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I use ExpressVPN; got it because they advertised on Ben Shapiro. It mostly works OK but I have to reconnect pretty frequently.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I use AVG. Seems to work well.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
NordVPN has sales often on 3 year+ plans. Decent browser extensions so you can turn it on and off.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used PIA - private internet access - for a few years now, and been happy with it. Supports up to 10 devices at a time. We have two ipads, two cell phones, and two pcs on it. Did have two more ipads and a laptop on it until sold the extras.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Look at where they are incorporated, and policy on data sharing. I use Nord in part because they wipe their records multiple times a day, not accessible, etc. Service levels are good so performance is good, and value is good with the sales.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have used PIA for a couple years, and really like it. I use it for my Macs, iPads, iPhones, Smart TV and Roku.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Look at where they are incorporated, and policy on data sharing. I use Nord in part because they wipe their records multiple times a day, not accessible, etc. Service levels are good so performance is good, and value is good with the sales.

I’ve been happy with Nord also.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have Nord too. Works good. Price was good when I got it during a sale.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
what are you doing with VPN?

for me, I have OpenVPN set up on my home router (Asus) and when I stay at a hotel or am out and about using a non-secure wifi connection, I simply VPN to my home. 100% Free, as secure as my home network, and easy as pie!!!

Plus I can see the camera on my home network without opening ports etc. Works well on phones too with the OpenVPN app.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
Nobody. You're just switching from your ISP snooping on your traffic to the VPN provider.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
NordVPN here. Did the 3 year package.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7082 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might start an argument, but I think the majority of people paying for VPN services are wasting their money.

When you pay for a VPN, you are securing the traffic to some degree as it travels between you and the recipient, but the overwhelmingly vast majority of breaches are occurring on one end of the transmission or the other, and I would guess that it's on the end of the party (usually a business) that you provide your information to.

Folks are not grabbing your data out of the ether as it goes back and forth. A VPN is doing you about as much good as putting a privacy filter on your home monitor so that somebody can't look in your window to read the screen.

Make sure you have a firewall and you should be fine.

Now, radioman's use case is different and is actually a logical use of a VPN. If you're using the internet to connect to a private network that is elsewhere, it makes total sense. Web browsing, ecommerce, email, etc? Unncessary.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
If you're using the internet to connect to a private network that is elsewhere, it makes total sense. Web browsing, ecommerce, email, etc? Unncessary.

Maybe. The theory regarding the latter use is it prevents local WiFi snooping.

Personally, every connection I make, except for SIGforum, is SSL'd, So I don't worry about my local wireless traffic being snooped.

I do have Wireguard set up on my virtual servers in rented space. One of them came in handy, once, when I wanted to browse SF and the local WiFi network blocked it.

Eventually I suppose I'll get around to installing Wireguard on my home router--when I get bored, someday Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fixed with proper local network security. Encrypt your network, switch the key and local password from the default, consider a software firewall on the individual device, etc.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have had expressvpn for a year now and it has worked extremely well.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Fixed with proper local network security.

Local WiFi snooping when you're on foreign (not your own) WiFi networks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
what are you doing with VPN?

I guess I'm really not doing much w/ it as I use it at home. While I'm not doing anything illegal, the idea that an internet provider can/would record everywhere I go bothers me, not unlike if someone was tracking my vehicle every day.
From reading here and elsewhere, I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that using a VPN provides an extra layer of security.
Not unlike my having Malwarebytes and CCleaner even though Win10 seems to do fine on it's own.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I know folks are opposed to the Russkie aspect, but I've been using Kaspersky with good operating results.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No love for SurfShark? Haven't gotten anything yet, but have been looking at a couple, this being one of them.

Posts: 158 | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post