SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for a VPN?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for a VPN? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lumbering.buffalo:
No love for SurfShark? Haven't gotten anything yet, but have been looking at a couple, this being one of them.

That's actually one I was considering aside from the trend for NordVPN here.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Fixed with proper local network security.

Local WiFi snooping when you're on foreign (not your own) WiFi networks.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I doubt most people paying for a VPN are doing enough outside network stuff to see the benefit of a subscription. A VPN, again, is only securing traffic being sent over the network. If you're worried about local machine security, a software firewall is going to be the answer when on an outside/public WiFi network.

For those that understand the purpose, capabilities, and limitations of a VPN, great. For those of you who are paying somebody for a VPN so you can shop online at home or to secure the data on your machine, you should really read up and figure out if you're getting anything but another point of failure, another place your data passes through, and potentially slower connections with increased latency.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I use Webroot on my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. My home network is secured, passwords changed, access control list, etc.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1683 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Express VPN. It works in China, or did in 2019, not sure if it still does. Can use across multiple devices, which is nice because I have personal phone, business phone, and usually bring an iPad.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Been using VyprVPN for several years now. I'm happy with the service.

Posts: 1458 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Nord VPN it is much much better when I first start using it couple years ago.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post