SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota and your privacy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota and your privacy. Login/Join 
posted
It looks like Toyota is another manufacturer selling your driving habits to the insurance agents.

You might want to look into finding out how to turn off that option. I don’t have a Toyota so I didn’t look into it but the discussion I was reading had these suggestions.

Fixing this as simple as opening the Toyota app, touching the human icon in the top right, “Account”, “Data Privacy Portal”, “Insure Connect”, “Declined”

You should also go to account>security settings>manage your data>your privacy choices. A webpage will open up where you can opt out of them selling your personal information, as well as request a copy of your personal information. On the webpage, select Do not sell or share my personal information, follow instructions.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many car manufacturers are doing this?

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Every last one of them.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Fixing this as simple as opening the Toyota app, touching the human icon in the top right, “Account”, “Data Privacy Portal”, “Insure Connect”, “Declined”

I certainly appreciate your describing the process. At the same time, I think it stinks we have to even load and use yet another app to opt out of something we probably didn't want into in the first place.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How is opt-out not the default? Universally, personal data should be private and any sharing should be explicit opt-in only. There ought to be a law....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How is opt-out not the default? Universally, personal data should be private and any sharing should be explicit opt-in only. There ought to be a law....

To your point, opt-in should be the law!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
If Toyota is anything like Google, just asking not to have your personal information sold probably doesn't do too much except make you feel good.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Can this opt-out be done from the car's display or do we have to install some app on our phone?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Apparently you can opt-in and out.

https://support.toyota.com/s/a...10030?language=en_US

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Is there a model year this travesty began

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a 11 minute video about this. He says if you go into
the system and opt out your info system won't work at all.
The only way to stop this is to pass legislation to prevent them
from tracking you. That will be an uphill battle because there is
so much money to be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0jKKzzT_NU

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Now imagine the shenanigans your cell phone is probably up to…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/6330043705/p/1

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
will a pair of wire cutters help??

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
In the app when I sign in, go to Account, there is no Data Privacy Portal option. I just have:

Personal Info
Notification Settings
Security Settings
Help and Feedback
Legal Info

Not finding it in any of those menus, either.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I knew there was an insurance app you could download to your phone that was upfront it was tracking you in exchange for a discount on your insurance.

I wasn't aware until this week that the cars were downloading and information was being forwarded to insurance carriers. The 1st story I read was about a leased Ford info being forwarded to an insurance company.

I just wonder how far this goes until we have a big brother revolt.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet there are experienced computer folks out there that can do an end around this business with a laptop and a few minutes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Is there a model year this travesty began

That's what I'd like to know. Are they gathering info on me from my 2011 Sienna??

Posts: 10026 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
When I downloaded and set up the app for my 2023 Camry, the default was set to not monitored and I was asked to ‘opt in’, which I refused.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I knew there was an insurance app you could download to your phone that was upfront it was tracking you in exchange for a discount on your insurance.

I wasn't aware until this week that the cars were downloading and information was being forwarded to insurance carriers. The 1st story I read was about a leased Ford info being forwarded to an insurance company.

I just wonder how far this goes until we have a big brother revolt.

That’s what needs to happen. It’s not about TikTok or car manufacturers but no one should be privy to our personal info.

As soon as we allowed the Patriot Act we opened the door for this nonsense. Hopefully we get someone in office who will do something about this otherwise it will just get worse and worse.

You should read some of the small print at your doctors office when they check you in electronically. It’s only a matter of time before certain health conditions will get you cancelled.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post