SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota and your privacy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota and your privacy. Login/Join 
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
How does it upload this information on your driving habits?

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
How does it upload this information on your driving habits?

Anytime the vehicle is connected to a network it can upload the data that the computers have recorded.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, thinking of powermad above, is there an “antenna” somewhere we could, say wrap in aluminum foil, and disrupt this link?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how the data is transmitted.
Some are tied into the navigation system.

On Volvo trucks they are tracked by satellite and connected by the Volvo Link ECU.
Momma Volvo can see everything that's going on with the truck, active fault codes with the engine and such.
They see where you are and who has the part to repair it and the driver is directed to that shop.
The shop is notified and the truck is scheduled in.

Everything is monitored and recorded by the ECU's now days.
The ABS ECU see's all the acceleration, lateral and braking events and stores it.

Pretty sure I would be screwed if they were to monitor mine.
I don't drive like I have a 5 gallon bucket, full to the brim with milk in the passenger seat with no lid on it.
Light goes green and I go.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
When I got my 2018 GMC Sierra in December of 2017 O found that crap when I was programming everything. I opted OUT.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
It looks like Toyota is another manufacturer selling your driving habits to the insurance agents.

You might want to look into finding out how to turn off that option. I don’t have a Toyota so I didn’t look into it but the discussion I was reading had these suggestions.

Fixing this as simple as opening the Toyota app, touching the human icon in the top right, “Account”, “Data Privacy Portal”, “Insure Connect”, “Declined”

You should also go to account>security settings>manage your data>your privacy choices. A webpage will open up where you can opt out of them selling your personal information, as well as request a copy of your personal information. On the webpage, select Do not sell or share my personal information, follow instructions.

Thanks I just turned mine off for my 2024 Camry. It's nobody's business how I drive my car.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post