SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody have experience selling a house directly, w/o a realtor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have experience selling a house directly, w/o a realtor? Login/Join 
posted
Wife and I are getting ready to Waexit (Washington exit?)

A family in our neighborhood posted in social media the at their sons family is looking to buy in our neighborhood. We had them over and they want to make a deal to buy the house.

We haven't listed yet or signed with a realtor so we're interested in seeing if this could work out.

We haven't done this before, any tips for ensuring a safe and smooth transaction?

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
There is no law that I'm aware of that requires a realtor/broker to sell a home but your state laws may vary. Or politicians may change that.

We've sold both vacant land and a home without a realtor. Two realtors and a broker did nothing but put up their signs and we never heard from then again. So we got creative, made up flyers and placed them at large employers (Intel, GM, Motorola, American Express, etc) bulletin boards. Take good digital images. Maybe have a temporary website for images and description.

The downside is dealing with to many tire kickers that have nothing else to do.

A title company will have the necessary forms. Check with a few companies and review the forms pertaining to normal closing costs of buyer and seller. However, the buyer and seller can agree ahead of time how closing costs would be split. It's not hard to do but it is time consuming. Certainly worth saving the commission price of a realtor.

We've also used a young newly licensed realtor to review everything, make certain everything is done, then paid him in cash.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
if you have a ready, willing and able buyer, find a broker or attorney that will prepare the necessary forms and disclosures for you at a reasonable price.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
A good title company has all the experts you need on staff. I've been involved with numerous sales of this type and they are not difficult, just hire a good title company to handle the details/closing and be absolutely certain that your buyer has the funds in hand.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Sold my wife's family home after her mothers death. Used a local title company that has done this for many years. Painless and saved us $$$.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I believe WA state is an escrow/title company state, I would spend the money to pay an attorney that specializes in real estate closings.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
if you have a ready, willing and able buyer, find a broker or attorney that will prepare the necessary forms and disclosures for you at a reasonable price.
^^ This ^^

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just realize you are going against the unholy triumvirate of the RealTor, Lender, and Appraiser.

Since you are fucking the RealTor out of something they think they deserve (ie 3-7% commission), expect to have some issues with the Appraiser.

They are all dogs, licking each others backsides, so you might not get the appraisal you need.

Found this out in CA years ago, when I FSBO'ed my house for $359K and a similar yet lesser house sold in the same neighborhood (with a RealTor) for $389K.

Guess which house had to be appraised twice and still fell $5K short of the sales prices? Yeah, the one w/o a RealTor.

Even so, it's worth it as the buyer came up with some more cash and I didn't have to pay $20K to the RealTor for doing nothing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A friend who is a Realtor just listed a very nice home, here on the MO River. Asking was $850K and it sold in a week to a TX millionaire.

So she made money by listing, as well as selling it. Quite the racket.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I sold our first home myself. It was located on Main Street in a quaint village. It moved fairly quickly but was still a big investment in time.

What’s your time worth ?

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you already have a buyer for the house, absolutely sell it without a realtor. Just make sure to get a good real estate attorney to handle all of the necessary paperwork.

If you don't have a buyer, I'd advise listing it with a realtor as it usually almost always seems you'll get that much additional (amount of the commission) in increased sale price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife's a realtor so I've seen what goes on behind the scenes.
Hire a good appraiser to establish what it is worth. If you don't know how to find then, ask at your banks mortgage department. They should be able to give you a list of them. If this sale doesn't work out, the appraisal will be handy if you decide to list the property with or without a realtor.
Once you've established a price, do the contract using a good real estate attorney.
Often buyers will build in a discount because you aren't using a realtor (saving the commission) which means the net gain to you is zero.
A good realtor does a lot more that hang out a sign and write up the deal. I can use accounting software for my small business but I pay a CPA.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
A friend who is a Realtor just listed a very nice home, here on the MO River. Asking was $850K and it sold in a week to a TX millionaire.

So she made money by listing, as well as selling it. Quite the racket.

In many states that's not legal, in others it isn't advisable. You can't represent both sides of a negotiation without a conflict of interest.
The only winner there is the agent.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
^^ This ^^
^^^This +2. As the seller you'll have responsibility for the sales contract and any representations made about the home. The buyer (through their lender most likely) will have responsibility for home inspection, termite inspection, title search, appraisal, etc. A decent local real estate attorney or title company can get this deal done for substantially less $$$ than dealing with realtors. And the best part, you won't have to deal constantly with the incompetence and ignorance of most realtors trying to get to the finish line. Its my personal opinion that in Florida, 85%+ of the realtors you'll come in contact with know very little more about home purchase/sales than the buyers who contacted them do. I've bought and sold real state here in Florida several times over the years, and the realtors involved were either totally worthless, or a negative influence on the process.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Unless WA is really different, you can sell your own home. No big deal. Find a copy of a buy/sell agreement, get details worked out (who pays for closing/appraisal/etc), reduce to contract, sign with notary, proceed. Assuming the buyers are using a bank to get their loan, I've found lenders very helpful to get basic contracts and contacts for appraisals, warranty deeds, termite inspection, etc.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Easy to do. Here an "Abstract Company" will do the transfer for you. If the son is buying for cash, super easy and fast. If he has a loan arranged, it is still easy but another few steps are added, as the mortgage company may place a few hoops in the way.

We must get a "sidewalk inspection" and pay our township $60 for the pleasure. Then repair any parts with the yellow "fail" dot spray-painted on them. Your county or township website may have similar information.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
We sold our house without a realtor. We wrote our purchase agreement, signed it in front of a notary, and used a local title company to close.

If a loan company is involved they will want an appraisal and inspections. The title company did the title search.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4838 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look up my I hate renter threads in the whats your deal forum. I went through that last year

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I hear there's a guy in Alabama who's a genius with real estate. Big Grin

Posts: 5741 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
We sold a house ourselves. Buyer had cash so all we did was use a title company for the closing

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post