SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New PC Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New PC Questions Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lot's of good info above. I learned a thing or two. Smile

Just a few comments:
1. Lenovo biz class laptop is a quality laptop being generally designed, I believe, in Japan. BUT, Lenovo is a prc company and as such I would lean toward a Dell biz class laptop.

2. I have 3 Dell 27" UltraSharps (QHD level); horizontally aligned with the left and right monitors angled toward me. Left monitor is the primary for one laptop. Right monitor is the primary for my second laptop. The center monitor right in front of me is shared via the HDMI output of a receiver. I can have it be the secondary display for either laptop one or two. The reason it's the secondary display is because, via the receiver, it's also my monitor for an Apple TV (with mini LCR speakers mounted above the monitor, sub on the floor). This set up generally works BUT it is not ideal. Depending on how the center monitor is being used, if I want to use either laptop concurrently, I have to turn at least my head, if not my body, to work on the left or right monitors. I find this to result in some neck stiffness / pain. So, I'm looking to change from this configuration. I'm just not sure what to change to, but a widescreen, dual display monitor is one consideration - not sure if it will help or not.

My general need is: need to be able have at least one active display for each laptop at the same time with an extended display for one of them depending on which I'm actually working on. And be able to watch stuff via Apple TV with at least one active display for each laptop; when I'm watching Apple TV content, want that display front and center (I don't want to be turning my head for the length of a movie; besides, the speakers are front and center).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Well, due to all the great advice, I'm typing this on my 2015 HP that is now more responsive than any PC I've ever used! It does a full restart now in about 40 seconds Smile After a few minutes on Youtube yesterday, I went up to Best Buy and picked a 1TB SSD to replace the old HDD.

I threw all the documents we had saved on a thumb drive, and Windows recovery files on another. Then I swapped drives, booted from the USB and everything went smooth as silk.

Further, I found that this PC does have an HDMI input (I've long thought that it did not). So we plugged her work laptop and she loves it with the single 34" wide screen once I showed her how to snap windows into split screen.

There were a few things that were frustrating though. MS Setup forced me to enter a MS email address, which I really didn't want to do. I did it, and later came back to settings later and changed the log on to a local username and password. I thought I would be back to a machine that was all local except for brower use.

I was wrong. I was adding DuckDuckGo to MS Edge when I was informed that my OneNote storage was full. I didn't know I had a personal OneNote account. I dug in and found a bunch of video that I downloaded from a drone SD card that I never intended to leave this PC. So I guess the browser is still logged on to MS somehow. Lots of other oddities, like my saved websites from the past are still there too. Earlier this morning, I wondered if some of that was saved in the BIOS, but now I guess it's the browser. I'm going to keep messing with the browser settings to see if I can disconnect completely. For now, I guess its not all bad that my 'cloud' storage is full of video I could care less about losing or sharing.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked! The motorcycle budget just went way up Smile

Posts: 743 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delmag Tech:
Well, due to all the great advice, I'm typing this on my 2015 HP that is now more responsive than any PC I've ever used! It does a full restart now in about 40 seconds Smile After a few minutes on Youtube yesterday, I went up to Best Buy and picked a 1TB SSD to replace the old HDD.

I threw all the documents we had saved on a thumb drive, and Windows recovery files on another. Then I swapped drives, booted from the USB and everything went smooth as silk.

Further, I found that this PC does have an HDMI input (I've long thought that it did not). So we plugged her work laptop and she loves it with the single 34" wide screen once I showed her how to snap windows into split screen.

There were a few things that were frustrating though. MS Setup forced me to enter a MS email address, which I really didn't want to do. I did it, and later came back to settings later and changed the log on to a local username and password. I thought I would be back to a machine that was all local except for brower use.

I was wrong. I was adding DuckDuckGo to MS Edge when I was informed that my OneNote storage was full. I didn't know I had a personal OneNote account. I dug in and found a bunch of video that I downloaded from a drone SD card that I never intended to leave this PC. So I guess the browser is still logged on to MS somehow. Lots of other oddities, like my saved websites from the past are still there too. Earlier this morning, I wondered if some of that was saved in the BIOS, but now I guess it's the browser. I'm going to keep messing with the browser settings to see if I can disconnect completely. For now, I guess its not all bad that my 'cloud' storage is full of video I could care less about losing or sharing.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked! The motorcycle budget just went way up Smile

MS has snuck the BS 'sign-in-with-ms-account' into every goddamn update recently. There's usually a small print non-button statement on the bottom-left of the screen where you can bypass & use local accounts. user beware.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Saw this one in Costco. Not bad if you need a step up in graphics and 16” screen.

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-...oduct.100976642.html

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post