SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Perseverance Rover successfully produces Oxygen on Mars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perseverance Rover successfully produces Oxygen on Mars Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I guess your reading comprehension skipped my last sentence that was posted an hour before yours. Sheesh.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's be nice, please.

Besides, this isn't anything new. I can produce several cubic yards of methane from just one can of pinto beans.

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I guess your reading comprehension skipped my last sentence that was posted an hour before yours. Sheesh.

The part about it being a colossal waste of time? No, I read that.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My point still stands. What practical application does “living” on Mars provide? It seems to be an exercise just to prove it can be done. Large scale colonization is a sci fi fantasy. Mining, exploitation, as a stepping stone to the next planet? What?

Newsflash we aren’t every getting to the next planet outside our solar system. Which is something like a handful of light YEARS away.

Alchemy. I’m sure back in the day somebody thought the naysayers were full of shit too.

It’s cool science. It does seem to have practical applications perhaps. Just not in habitating another planet. That’s is silly mental masturbation on taxpayer money. As for other agencies wasting money I am all for metering them down as well. Besides which you quoted NASA’s budget. Want to wager how much of this MIT experiment was taxpayer funded?

Practical science trumps theoretical in almost every instance. Sending men to Mars would be wickedly expensive. Someone please tell us where the payback comes? If you say offshoot technology I will lose my shit lol.
Go read what NASA considers the 20 greatest gifts the ISS has produced. It’s wildly unimpressive. Things like how micro gravity affects the body. Umm, ok. Flames burn colder in space. Got it. Better water filtration systems. Would have cost less if that had been the goal rather than a byproduct.

Going to the moon hasn’t made anyone on planet Earths life better as a direct result. Unless you work in the space industry.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Well it's certainly shown who the wet blankets are.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to the moon hasn’t made anyone on planet Earths life better as a direct result.

It wasn't specifically invented for the space program, but it sure gave sales a boost. Big Grin

Posts: 9052 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I'm all for our landing on Mars. In advance of that, a return to the Moon would be beneficial.

It's Mars or nothing, 'cause Venus is as hot as a pizza oven, and humans are damn sure not leaving this solar system anytime soon.

The "climate change" idiots think we need to colonize Mars so we can move there when plastic drinking straws destroy Mankind. Roll Eyes Clearly, they have not a clue about atmospheric conditions on Mars, nor the fact that everywhere you turn, it looks like the Mojave Desert. Any notion that we might terraform Mars is a pipe dream.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Any problem on earth, be it plastic straws, cow farts, blue hair dye, anything, would be much easier to fix than making a different planet habitable.

Pretend CO2 was actually warming us to death. Does anyone really think it would be easier to create an atmosphere on Mars than it would be to reduce CO2 on earth?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

Money well spent.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post