SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Working while sick is the pits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working while sick is the pits Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Frown

I’ve had a sore throat, stuffy head and cough since Saturday. My throat is not as sore today but the cough is still there. The stuffiness is controlled well enough with Afrin. The biggest problem is that I have no energy. I feel like a weakling. My job is a little bit physically demanding and this is one of those days where I just don’t want to get out of the truck.

Pray for me, friends.

Whew, this stinks.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ah the benefits of being your own boss LOL!

Hope you feel better, get rid of the Afrin, Xicam spray is easier on the schnoz internals and works fast!

Maybe some Dayquil will get you running

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent. Running yourself down while sick is not the best plan. I know your work is hard to put off, but try to take a couple of days to give yourself a chance to get over it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Ah the benefits of being your own boss LOL!

Hope you feel better, get rid of the Afrin, Xicam spray is easier on the schnoz internals and works fast!

Maybe some Dayquil will get you running

I’ve not tried Xicam. Maybe I’ll pick some up.

I know I’m only supposed to use Afrin for 3 days but I’m on day 4. I’ve got to cut using it right now.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Prayer sent. Running yourself down while sick is not the best plan. I know your work is hard to put off, but try to take a couple of days to give yourself a chance to get over it.
Maybe I’ll just run a mowing route and leave the fertilizing until next week. Sitting on a mower may be the rest that I need.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When I was a younger man I could power through most common seasonal illnesses. Not anymore. I don't even try.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Haven't been sick since before Covid. Just got hit with the worst sore throat a few weeks ago. Recovered for a week and ended up with another bout of fever, aches, and coughing. Also tired as all get out. Finally feel human today. Been able to work from home.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I ran a mowing route today. Stuffy nose up until around 4:30 then it let loose. Feeling much better. Hacked up some chunks in the shower afterward and my voice came back. I think I’m on the mend.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If I was in the neighborhood, I would have given you a hand. Did it for 14 years. The mowing part, in some high end neighborhoods.
I used to cut Dick and Betsy Devos's lawn back in the day.
The job keeps us young but the sun takes it's toll. We aren't getting any younger. Wink At least I'm not.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It has always been my policy that if I can stand and walk without keeling over, I go about my business, be it work or personal. It takes my mind off being sick. Once I put in several full days' physically strenuous work, with a 4-inch boil on my thigh. Red Face Now that was no fun. It was also 40 years ago.

Posts: 27936 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DayQuil has got me through more days at work while sick than anything I’ve ever tried. Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 950 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Coughed up some more gunk this morning. Didn’t have the fatigue today. Definitely feeling better.

posted Hide Post
I'm 68 years old and started working at 14 years of age. I read this thread and all I can think is Are you kidding me, grow up.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I'm 68 years old and started working at 14 years of age. I read this thread and all I can think is Are you kidding me, grow up.
Yes, yes, sweetie. We know. You remember before they wore protective headgear back when automobiles took over for stagecoaches racing. Now hold up your pants and shuffle off.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Yes, yes, sweetie. We know. You remember before they wore protective headgear back when automobiles took over for stagecoaches racing. Now hold up your pants and shuffle off.

You better be careful, Mark.
Scooter eats rusty nails for breakfast. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
quote:

… With no milk because that’s for babies!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What I am saying here is that a large majority of us have worked while sick, after surgery with a drain strapped to their leg, with broken bones, smashed hands and a whole host of other injuries and you are whining about having to work with a runny nose.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What I am saying here is that a large majority of us have worked while sick, after surgery with a drain strapped to their leg, with broken bones, smashed hands and a whole host of other injuries and you are whining about having to work with a runny nose.

Did it suck when you had to work when you felt like sh*t?

That's all Mark123 is saying, Scooter. I'm certain Mark123 does whatever he needs to do to keep the lights on.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm not sure of your schedule but one thing we did is move from 5 eight hour days to 4 ten hr. days.
Those make for some longer days but that extra day to recuperate or take off from rain, made a big difference for us.
Maybe not feasible for you but since you're the boss and the employee, employee Mark might appreciate it.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As long as you feel better about your super duper amazing no-time-off working career. Let me completely congratulate you on your most excellent stamina and virility.

*slow clap*