SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man buys $92k Ford F-250 and is told it’s not designed to drive over 65mph
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man buys $92k Ford F-250 and is told it’s not designed to drive over 65mph Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Motorcycle dealerships also hand out BS to cover their faults.

Suzuki dealer told me they don't do test rides. I would have to buy the motorcycle and if I didn't like it they would buy back at full price.

I asked if he smokes dope. I was asked to leave.

Honda dealer service writer told me the heated grips/seat don't work unless it's real cold out.
I handed him the owners manual and asked him to show me. He couldn't. Fixed it under warranty.

Harley Davidson dealer told me the steering head shake at speed was from the Harley windshield I had installed. I told them it was loose head bearings, which they were supposed to fix and which I had paid for.

I tightened the bearings myself. No head shake. I traded the bike or a BMW R1200R. HD calls me with a sales pitch...I tell them to Fuck off.

Car dealer or M/C dealer, I don't trust any.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
My idea of a pickup truck is something I can use to haul stuff around without worrying about what I put in the bed or where I park it. I cannot understand why anyone would spend $92K on a pickup truck, or $100K for a Cadillac SUV.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
My idea of a pickup truck is something I can use to haul stuff around without worrying about what I put in the bed or where I park it. I cannot understand why anyone would spend $92K on a pickup truck, or $100K for a Cadillac SUV.

There it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13966 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I owe way less than $92K on my house.

No way I spend that on a vehicle.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31537 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

So they can drive around thinking everybody is looking and saying "Oh, Look! That guy can afford a $100K toy!"

(Disclaimer: Yes, I know some people enjoy and can afford the nicer things in life and have every right to do so. More power to 'em!)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Have seen this on Facebook.. It has to be Pure Bullshit.. My 1969 F250 would go 70 with a ton of hay stacked on it...

The '77 we had wouldn't do 65mph down a steep hill. Big Grin

Posts: 21152 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
There is something wrong with the truck, it's not the manufacture, but the dealer that is full of shit. We have two Ford dealerships close to my house. My wife took her 2012 Focus to the closer of the two for an oil change. When they were complete, the quick change guy told her she needed brakes so bad she was taking a chance going home. Having only about 50k miles on it and having driven the car earlier myself, I had my doubts, and told her bring it home and I would change the brakes. I had new premium pads in hand by the time she was home. I jacked up the car only to find her pads barely had any wear on them. I swapped all the pads out anyway and cleaned up the old pads and brought them to the service manager. He tried to bull shit me with the pads in my hand. I told him and the GM that they lost all future business from me and anyone else in my family. Since then, I've purchased 3 new Fords from the other dealer!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Why wasn't this shaking noticed during the test drive before making the purchase ?

I expect everyone does a test drive but not at 65 or 70 mph?

I hit the interstate as soon as possible on a test drive.

Posts: 723 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm positive that many here will recall the 'self-accelerating' Ford Explorers from a few years back, even though Ford didn't recall them.

tac

Posts: 11366 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm positive that many here will recall the 'self-accelerating' Ford Explorers from a few years back, even though Ford didn't recall them.

tac

Wasn't that the Audi 5000S that would go balistic on its own, kind of an 90's German Euro autonomous system, I remember it because my Dad had bought two before the rumor hit the streets dropping the value of the car 50% overnight. The culprit was stupid people mistaking the pedals and blaming the car.

Explorers became Exploders because of the air pressure in the firestone tires that were spec'd by Ford. For a while people thought FIrestone made bad tires but it was a factory spec for air pressure demanded by consumers who throught the ride was to hard, so Ford reduced the pressure to soften the ride, do that coupled with human tendency to not maintain air pressure properly

Posts: 23711 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Have seen this on Facebook.. It has to be Pure Bullshit.. My 1969 F250 would go 70 with a ton of hay stacked on it...

The '77 we had wouldn't do 65mph down a steep hill. Big Grin

I actually got my First speeding Ticket in this truck.. Hauling a ton of hay from my Grandpas farm to ours.. late for dinner.. did not know I was going 70 in a 55 on a county road.. Smile

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9077 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Well it is a Ford. Razz

Posts: 3181 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Well it is a Ford. Razz

There are reports of other makes with death wobbles. And some Harley-Davidson motorcycles seem to have the same problem.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18041 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Do a search for the Ford Death Wobble. It's been a common problem for years, and this is just another case of the Ford dealer network not fixing a problem and trying to pass it off as normal.

Dodge too.

Posts: 13030 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forget the stupidity of the dealer, its just that. On this truck there is some combination of factors that affects these trucks and you get a harmonic. I have several and I haven't had the issue at speed, but it must be serious as Ford periodically sends out a letter advising to make sure you have done a,b &c in terms of maintenance, tire size etc. On a new truck I'd just park it and let ford deal with it.
AS for %92K I just shopped for a new F250/350 truck and its awfully easy to get into the $80's for a loaded diesel version. I'd never pay that but at MSRP you could get close.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11049 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You can get the death wobble on any solid-axled 4 wheel drive if you make modifications. Even with something as simple as changing air pressures.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to go back 40 years or more but air cooled VW Beetles have a device on the front tie rod assembly called the Steering Damper. When it got worn you would get a "death Rattle" beyond belief at 38 mph. The trick to dealing with it until you replaced that Steering Damper was to spend as little time at 38 mph as possible. As in drive 33 or 42 but don't drive at 38 because if you did that shake could build to the point where something might actually snap.

BTW, behaviors such as this are Harmonic Frequency effects and typically changing speed by a few mph can smooth things out. That Steering Damper that VW installed on all those Beetles was really just a small shock absorber. I'll also note that if you had a lift it took about 10 minutes to replace and they could be purchased from JC Whitney for something like 9.95.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I prefer low maintenance vehicles with an expected lifetime mileage in the multiple six figures.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Just under 264K miles on my Nissan now. It's no F250, but it's more reliable than some of the people in my life. I pat its dash every day. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13565 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

My dad had an 85 LTD that would do that. It was random but super freaky. The dealer couldn't fix it so they told us it was something we were doing wrong. lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29778 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post