SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man buys $92k Ford F-250 and is told it’s not designed to drive over 65mph
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man buys $92k Ford F-250 and is told it’s not designed to drive over 65mph Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. If the price tag really was $92k, my bet is the truck has a lift and aftermarket wheels and tires. Those changes can have huge negative impacts on ride and handling if installed incorrectly, and are usually installed by a third party. Regardless, the dealership salesman is a lying moron.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Have seen this on Facebook.. It has to be Pure Bullshit.. My 1969 F250 would go 70 with a ton of hay stacked on it.. This truck either has a flat tire.. or a Square tire..
There is NO Way a dealer told him it is normal.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have a an extremely low tolerance for dealer bullshit. They get two shots at me. First time I call them on it, they get one more shot to get it right and then I'm on the phone to the regional rep.

Forget that. I'd be going right to Ford Corporate with this nonsense and my state's attorney general as well.

Posts: 33901 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Why wasn't this shaking noticed during the test drive before making the purchase ?

I expect everyone does a test drive but not at 65 or 70 mph?

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine not test-driving a car before buying. Especially if you're dropping nearly $100K.

quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
I expect everyone does a test drive but not at 65 or 70 mph?

They should. That's an integral part. Get it out on the highway and see how it performs/feels/sounds at cruising speed, how it handles when accelerating on the on-ramps or accelerating to pass, etc.

Posts: 32563 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I work about a mile or so from a Ford dealership. Several years ago and pick up comes into the parking lot, he's driving a new truck. The truck is smoking and gushing fluids. Guy says he has owned the truck less than 10 minutes he calls the dealership and after a few minutes he puts the phone on speaker. The dealership spouts a bunch of tech babble and tries to convince him that smoke and gushing fluids is normal. And that's why I drive a Toyota.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4398 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Have seen this on Facebook.. It has to be Pure Bullshit.. My 1969 F250 would go 70 with a ton of hay stacked on it.. This truck either has a flat tire.. or a Square tire..
There is NO Way a dealer told him it is normal.

The comment from the jackwad at the dealership was that it did that because it was empty. If you put more weight in it I bet it would go away...But I'd be pissed as all hell if an empty F250 did that.

The speed limit on the Interstate Highways here in CO is 75 (outside of metro areas). You can't even do the speed limit with a new truck? WTF?

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
There is nothing in the 2017 F-250 Owner's Manual stating the truck cannot be driven over 65 mph without extra weight.

In fact, the manual makes a point to tell owners not to have extra weight in the vehicle as it affects fuel economy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Bullshit. Thats a serious tire or wheel problem. I have driven my F250 more than 100k miles cross country on interstates and I can tell you it will do waaaaay more than 65 without vibration in the steering.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This is nothing new, and not every 4x4 F250 does it. We've had three that didn't do it but I have known people who had it happen on theirs. Ford doesn't seem to really know why it happens. Around the 2004 year model they added a horizontal brace under the front axle to try to eliminate the problem. Guess it didn't work.

Dealer rep is a moron to try to pass that BS off as factual.

Posts: 26954 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Don't you just hate it when someone assumes you are, or treats you like you are stupid?

Several years back The head service manager at the largest Jeep dealership in the southeast told me I couldn't adjust my new trucks drivers side rear view mirror anywhere except for down at the ground near the real tire because I had my seat adjusted wrong. Roll Eyes Really? Then he told me it was aimed at the ground because it was a truck and you had to see to backup to stuff all the time.
This was a safety issue! I had to escalate it up the food chain to get it fixed... two months and three 100 mile round trips to the dealer. The problem? Turns out the mirror was just not assembled / snapped in place in the housing correctly. A 30 second fix once they actually had a mechanic look at it, but I had to leave it overnight for them to do that!

That one little BS job lost them my future business... and yes, I let the owner know.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL that's hilarious.......one of the best selling vehicles is designed not to reach the speed limit in most of the U.S. Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was test-driving a Mercedes about ten years ago, salesman aboard. I asked him what the speed limit was on the road we were driving on, he said, "For you, there's no speed limit!"

We both laughed, and a few seconds later we were doing a little over 90mph.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This was big internet lore for FL series of Harley Davidson motorcycles (Touring) people would report a shake and uncontrollable handle bars, of course there were the anticipated pile on by the tons of scholars without engineering degrees about Neck design, angles, etc etc, the result being that the culprit was typically underinflated tires, modified or worn suspension parts, a whole list of things end users were doing or not doing.

I googled the Ford Death Wobble, yep you have videos of it, however when you read the articles it doesn't point toward a design flaw at Ford, typically it's tire pressures, changed parts, lifted, dropped suspension, damaged suspension, modified or worn suspension parts.

My neighbor had one, drove it 100 miles a day to and from work, interstate speeds which means over 65, never had a problem.

I agree though if that really is the voice of a Dealer Service Manager the guys needs some edjuamakashun,

Posts: 23600 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just a thought. If the price tag really was $92k, my bet is the truck has a lift and aftermarket wheels and tires. Those changes can have huge negative impacts on ride and handling if installed incorrectly, and are usually installed by a third party. Regardless, the dealership salesman is a lying moron.

Agreed on all points. I actually went to the Ford site, built an F250 with every available option and couldn't get above low $60s. That sounds like a ton of aftermarket stuff.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Agreed on all points. I actually went to the Ford site, built an F250 with every available option and couldn't get above low $60s. That sounds like a ton of aftermarket stuff.

Did you change the model from standard to the Limited, Ford has several models, base, king ranch, platinum and Limited. The Limited is called that because only a Limited few can afford them...

I ran it for a Limited fully optioned F250 and was just over $88K, for and F450 Dual Limited just a hair over $92K

Posts: 23600 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

My platinum was ~$82K on the sticker. $92K isn't inconceivable, it could also include some service plan & warranty, which is very expensive. I didn't pay $82K, I got it at X-plan pricing without any destination charges added on either.

Still....these trucks can get expensive.

....cue the butthurt posts about how other people spend their money...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Don't you just hate it when someone assumes you are, or treats you like you are stupid?

Several years back The head service manager at the largest Jeep dealership in the southeast told me I couldn't adjust my new trucks drivers side rear view mirror anywhere except for down at the ground near the real tire because I had my seat adjusted wrong. Roll Eyes Really? Then he told me it was aimed at the ground because it was a truck and you had to see to backup to stuff all the time.
This was a safety issue! I had to escalate it up the food chain to get it fixed... two months and three 100 mile round trips to the dealer. The problem? Turns out the mirror was just not assembled / snapped in place in the housing correctly. A 30 second fix once they actually had a mechanic look at it, but I had to leave it overnight for them to do that!

That one little BS job lost them my future business... and yes, I let the owner know.

I have two short stories that echo your experience and shows you the disdain dealerships have for the people they sell cars to. First one was a BMW my wife had and the radio would constantly spit out static, totally blocking out any sort of music. The service manager asked me if my wife knew how to work the radio, took two trips and some irate phone calls before they even turned the car on and experienced the static for themselves and finally replaced the head unit.

The second one was with a Jeep as well, brand new Grand Cherokee and the electronic lock would work intermittently on the rear drivers side door. When I showed up at the dealership two days after buying it, the service intake person insisted that I just didn't know how to work the locks, and proceeded to show me how to use the remote. It was then she experienced the issue for herself, admitted the car for service and then called me the next day to tell me it was fixed. Took FIVE trips to the dealership after that and they had the car for the first four weeks of me owning it before they had to replace all the wiring harnesses in that side of the car to get it to work properly. I definitely let them know that I wouldn't be bringing the Jeep back for service at that dealership, or even considering buying another car from any of their dealerships.

We eventually got my wife a VW Passat that was recalled because of Dieselgate and replaced with a Honda Pilot, which has had the windshield replaced three times in the last six months due to it constantly cracking, we finally had to put an aftermarket windshield in instead of a Honda unit and haven't had any issues since. Either my luck with cars is awful or these companies and dealers just don't care about the people buying their cars, maybe both?

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
or these companies and dealers just don't care about the people buying their cars

This....or we've truly lost the art of customer service in the average worker.

The owners of these companies are now huge conglomerate corporations, far removed from any local dealership level. It's a thin margins, numbers game...and the average worker you run into is poorly qualified, poorly trained, and poorly paid. Brand loyalty is gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post