SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flag Order Etiquette Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flag Order Etiquette Question Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted
I recently installed a flag pole in my yard, a 20' telescopic pole that can fly a 4x6 on top of a 3x5.

I previously had 2 flags mounted on my hose porch columns (American flag on the left, Gadsden on the right).

I'd like to fly 4 flags total, American, POW/MIA, USMC, and Gadsden. I'm just not sure which flag should be second on the pole under the US flag.

Question:
So, which flag should fly below the US flag on the Flagpole, with the others flying on the porch columns?

Choices:
POW/MIA
USMC
Gadsden

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, check me if I’m wrong, Gibb, but I don’t think which flag you choose to fly under the American flag is a matter of “etiquette,” just which of the 3 others you choose to honor. Why not rotate them?

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Why not rotate them?

I had thought about that as well, and should have added that as an option.

I just wasn't sure as there seem to be quite a few differing opinions on the matter, so I thought I'd ask here.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
My pole is 25 feet, sectional, not telescoping. O fly a 4x6 US flag on top and a 3x5 Gadsden flag below. I will put up a POW/MIA flag on some occasions in lieu of the Gadsden flag. On Memorial Day I only fly the US flag, half staff until noon and then full staff.
I think I’d rotate if I were you. I think 4 flags on there would be a lot.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Another vote for rotate

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
I think 4 flags on there would be a lot.

Just to clarify, only two flags will be on the main pole, the other two will fly from the column mounts off the porch.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
I think 4 flags on there would be a lot.

Just to clarify, only two flags will be on the main pole, the other two will fly from the column mounts off the porch.

USA up top, rotate the others as you see fit.

Guy here has USA on a pole, and a half dozen others, gasden, trump, marine corp, etc hanging from the front balcony, it's a bit much with them all up at once...

Posts: 23495 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
There are some insights here.

Simple rule of thumb is Country, State, POW with some (6) exceptions. Gets messy when adding in different types of poles/columns. That you care means the most in my book.

Historical flags like the Gadsden flag typically go at the bottom.

As I see it, I would do American and POW on pole and others on the columns as you desire. Assuming you were in the service, thank you for that and give the USMCmore prominence than the Gadsden flag.

At this point, the Gadsden holds little of the original intent as the Tea Party glommed on as well as others. Though there are some Navy that identify with Gadsden.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Thanks ffips That's what I was thinking myself, US/POW on pole, USMC on left of door, Gadsden on right.

Some of the flag reference info seems to place the Military flags above the POW, with the exception of the 6 special days, others have the POW in second at all times.

The only flag I have no interest in flying at the moment is my State flag, but we'll see what happens come November.
If I do fly the state, I'll rotate the USMC and Gadsden next to the POW flag off the porch.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Just googled ... Flag Etiquette ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pole:
USA
USMC

Porch:
POW/MIA
Gadsden

Posts: 33830 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Aboard one ship we flew the National Ensign and the POW/MIA under it…this is the highest flag and staff aboard, other flags were flown from the yardarm to either side.

I realize your flag is not set up like that.
I’d fly US then POW
Then the others on the porch mounted staffs

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
20" telescopic w 4 Flags wouldn't last a day in my area anything more than a breeze puts a lot of stress on flag poles. There is no "order" of positioning after the US Flag. All personal preference.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8366 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
20" telescopic w 4 Flags wouldn't last a day in my area anything more than a breeze puts a lot of stress on flag poles. There is no "order" of positioning after the US Flag. All personal preference.

Re-read that OP

He’s putting 2 flags on the pole

Then 2 flags on the porch

Posts: 33830 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I fly the American flag with POW/MIA under on a single pole, and same if two poles with another flag(s) on the second pole to the left.

And each flag on its separate pole if American and POW/MIA flags are flown on two poles.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post