SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Boeing Starliner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boeing Starliner Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like they could have come back in it after all. I understand the caution, though.

I have historically been a big Boeing fan. They've made some awesome stuff over the years, and I hope their recent black eyes with stuff like this and the 737 Max are taken to heart and cause them to clean up their act. We need American aerospace companies to make the best stuff in the world.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Not a Boeing fan, eh?

Am a Boeing fan, well was.
Until they let idiots run the company and have take twice the funds from the government and have garbage to show for it.

Boeing- overbudget and still not delivered.
Gotta prop up those retirement packages and shareholder dividends first you know!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

“NASA lavished praise on Boeing during a post-flight press conference where representatives from the company were conspicuously absent.

“It was a bullseye landing,” said Steve Stich, program manager for NASA’s commercial crew program. “The entry in particular has been darn near flawless.”

Still, he acknowledged that certain new issues had come to light, including the failure of a new thruster and the temporary loss of the guidance system.“

Fortune - Boeing Starliner returns to Earth without a crew as NASA flags new issues

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Despite all the issues, I'm glad the Starliner came back in one piece and we can learn what went wrong with the failed systems.

Too soon we forget the hiccups and disasters along the way in the space program. Already we are embracing the seemingly effortless success of Space X.

I'm hoping we learn a bunch and get back to regular intervals of journeys and discoveries.

Posts: 11290 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta prop up those retirement packages and shareholder dividends first you know!

I guess I'm a Boeing fan; after all my wife draws a bi-weekly paycheck from them. But that's been the rub. I hear first-hand about all of the managerial crap the higher ups do to pander to the whims of Wall Street. Bring in so-called executive "rockstars" from other companies that DON'T have a clue about what it takes to make an airplane or a missile defense system. Outsource operational back-of-the house white collar work and cut jobs, only to find out that the offshore contractors are absolute crap that don't give a rat's ass about the needs of a penny-pinching American company that happens to make airplanes, when other Western companies are willing to offer far better contracts--including other American companies--for the same kinds of services.

Add in the realization that Boeing is an entrenched, old-school kind of tech company that lacks the dynamics and energy of younger technology firms, so keeping talented new hires is an omnipresent problem that Boeing so far has had little success at figuring out. Ironically, programs like the Starliner are supposed to be the sorts of projects that were marketed to keep young talent in the company.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Anyone get the feeling they're more frightened for their lives now than they were when they were stuck in space? Big Grin

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a Boeing fan, eh?

I am a fan. They have a large portfolio of products, commercial and military, and there are problems on the commercial side that will be addressed.

On this event, it was the first flight and tons of telemetry is available. No one would die and when there's no risk of injury or death, sometimes it's just fun to see stuff blown up.

I'm mean do you watch NASCAR because you like Skittles colors or do you watch in anticipation of a crash? Without crashes, NASCAR is boring.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I guess I am now, too. However, was not growing up, not when you Dad worked for "Old Man Douglas". Back then, Boeing was "Brand X". Dad used to call the early 737s "runway vacuums" due to how low the engine nacelles were hung.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Not a Boeing fan, eh?

I am a fan. They have a large portfolio of products, commercial and military, and there are problems on the commercial side that will be addressed.

On this event, it was the first flight and tons of telemetry is available. No one would die and when there's no risk of injury or death, sometimes it's just fun to see stuff blown up.

I'm mean do you watch NASCAR because you like Skittles colors or do you watch in anticipation of a crash? Without crashes, NASCAR is boring.

Gotcha. A blowing-stuff-up-real-good deal.

(Btw, I actually did use to watch races to see good driving, hated seeing crashes. Honest!)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Anyone get the feeling they're more frightened for their lives now than they were when they were stuck in space? Big Grin

Aren't the astronauts still stuck on the space station? The Starliner came back unmanned, right?

Posts: 3473 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yes and yes. They're still up there and scheduled to hitch a ride home on a Space-X flight in February. Probably NOT how they planned to spend their holidays this year.

At any rate, congrats to NASA and Boeing for getting it back down in one piece.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Aren't the astronauts still stuck on the space station? The Starliner came back unmanned, right?

Astronauts stuck there until Feb 2025, and spacecraft landed intact as intended.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

There’s two capsules docked at the ISS at the moment. That’s a combined seven seats available for the nine people on the station. Technically, no individual is stuck ATM unless the ISS needs to be evacuated. It’ll be the end of musical chairs when the Dragon crew 9 capsule arrives with two empty seats in October.

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of hoping that cas chimes in and explains what his comment meant.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

There’s two capsules docked at the ISS at the moment. That’s a combined seven seats available for the nine people on the station. Technically, no individual is stuck ATM unless the ISS needs to be evacuated.

Well, I would argue that there ARE 2 people 'stuck' in space on ISS. If there is a massive coronal mass ejection that disables ISS, a bad fire, a debris strike, or literally hundreds of other scenarios that could make ISS incapable of sustaining life, then only 7 people can Evac...

Meaning, they ALL can't return to Earth if the need arises. That, to me, is the definition of 'stuck.'

Now, ISS is FAR more safe and reliable than the old Rusky Mir station (that thing was a clown show/death trap), but space remains an extremely dangerous environment.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21927 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At least Boeing is good at:

Door plugs

Turbines

Space capsules

Diversity!

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Given the billions we taxpayers have paid Boeing for this royal fuckup, hell no I'm not a fan!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
...and the "burn-up on re-entry" category has grown to double digits. It's down people! On the ground! In one piece! I swear!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Perfect landing.

Well, except for the part about it being empty

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Yes and yes. They're still up there and scheduled to hitch a ride home on a Space-X flight in February. Probably NOT how they planned to spend their holidays this year…

But just think about that big OT check!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

There’s two capsules docked at the ISS at the moment. That’s a combined seven seats available for the nine people on the station. Technically, no individual is stuck ATM unless the ISS needs to be evacuated.

Well, I would argue that there ARE 2 people 'stuck' in space on ISS. If there is a massive coronal mass ejection that disables ISS, a bad fire, a debris strike, or literally hundreds of other scenarios that could make ISS incapable of sustaining life, then only 7 people can Evac...

Meaning, they ALL can't return to Earth if the need arises. That, to me, is the definition of 'stuck.'

That’s what I said: "unless the ISS needs to be evacuated“? Confused