SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Boeing Starliner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boeing Starliner Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
The troubled Starliner successfully undocked from the ISS earlier today. It must now perform a deorbit burn in about 3 hours, then touchdown safely in New Mexico about 45 minutes after that. Many things could go wrong.

A failed deorbit burn could leave it in orbit for years, or break it into thousands of flaming pieces, possibly falling onto populated areas.

Its de-acceleration gear could fail and the craft could impact the ground at shattering speeds.

Question:
What will happen to the Starliner?

Choices:
Fail re-entry and remain in orbit
Burn-up on re-entry
Crash into earth and explode into bits
Successfully return to earth
Other

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Voting for the only good option.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping it doesn't bounce - you know, "boeing, boeing".

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
I'm hoping it doesn't bounce - you know, "boeing, boeing".

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Options 3 and 4 are pretty much the same, aren't they? Big Grin

("Successfully" should be "safely.")

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’m betting it will start to tumble and burn up since the thruster system is hosed

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Options 3 and 4 are pretty much the same, aren't they? Big Grin

("Successfully" should be "safely.")

How do you mean? A crash would be UNsuccessfully returning to earth with respect to the mission objective. I'm thinking they want it in one piece.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
It’ll come down. That’s the easy part. Successfully? Intact?

I’m a gambler. I’ll vote yes.

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
NASA live feed just went...well, live...

Watch on Youtube for live feed.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Deorbit burn initiated.

Falling gracefully so far.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
To quote Spock "Fascinating".

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Touchdown is scheduled for 12:00 am Eastern.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Entry Interface (with the atmosphere) has commenced. Let's see if this bird can take the heat.

About 2 minutes in, the generated plasma layer will cause a 4-1/2 minute communication blackout.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Drogue parachutes deployed.

Main chutes out.

Heat shield jettisoned.

Air-bags deployed.

Touchdown successful.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Perfect landing.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, who voted for "Burn-up on re-entry" after it already landed? Roll Eyes

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Me. I was hoping the news was wrong.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not a Boeing fan, eh?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh man, look what you started. Mad Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."