SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Gulf coast vacation ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Gulf coast vacation ideas Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tatortodd:
Given your location and that you're planning to come to the Gulf Coast then I suggest that your plans need to factor in humidity. In other words, if you can take your vacation in April or May when it's a comfortable warmth not in June or July when you sweat your shirt out at 7 AM and need to hack your way through the humidity with a machete.

What he says about the humidity. Retired to the Gulf Coast of Florida last year for mainly the winter months. Coming from 10 years in Vegas the humidity is oppressive. In the summer months it can be horrible. Also the later you drift into the summer the more exposure you have to hurricane season. So I'd also recommend coming in as early as possible for both of those reasons.
Did I mention that the humidity is oppressive? We'll be back out west as soon as family obligations allow us to.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Pensacola Beach is very nice. Not as built-out and quieter than Orange Beach or Destin. The Gulf Islands National Seashore owns most of the island, so P Beach is limited to about 1 mile of development. NAS Pensacola has the Museum of Naval Aviation and the Blue Angels practice Tuesday & Wednesday. Pensacola is experiencing downtown gentrification and is hopping at night.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am about 50 miles from Destin as the crow flies, and about 25 miles due north of Navarre Beach. Anywhere along the stretch of coast between Pensacola Beach to Panama City has beautiful beaches. Destin is a beautiful little fishing village that exploded with development over the past 20 years, but still has beautiful beaches. It has become touristy but plenty of accommodations and great restaurants, and the fishing charters out of Destin are the best on the Florida Gulf Coast. There are a number of small villages along the coast if you want to get more secluded and away from the touristy areas, but a number of those towns like Mexico Beach east of Destin were severely damaged or wiped out by Hurricane Michael and have not fully recovered. Do your homework. You can fly into Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach, or Northwest Florida Beaches airports. Enjoy your Florida vacation!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I guess the main question has been, "What do you want to do on vacation"? That's where I'm a bit fuzzy since I don't know what's available (except for the beaches, fishing and eateries). When we first went to Hawaii, we did a tour of the Arizona, hiking, kayaking, a coffee plantation tour, snorkeling, a helicopter tour, surfing, as well as general sightseeing. We just kind of took in what was available without any preconceived notions of availability.

Personally, I'm more into the out of the way oddities, but the women of the group are a bit more touristy-oriented. Both of the guys are keen on visiting anything fishing and military/historical.
I guess a nice mix of go-go-go to take in the attractions mixed w/ some down time on the beach with a nice drink w/ an umbrella in it sounds good to me.

(I appeal to this group as it is the most diverse and knowledgeable cross section of people I've encountered. If not for you, I'd never have found Sliding Rock in North Carolina on one of my previous family vacations - I became a hero w/ my kids on that gem)

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We have been to Fort Morgan, AL three times and LOVE it.

It is far enough removed from the touristy stuff, but close enough if you want to hit some night spots. Fort Morgan the fort, is absolutely a good time, even for those not really into history. Plenty of good fishing available in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll find an "Hawaii" vacation anywhere in the continental U.S.

For decades, Hawaii has honed and sharpened its wealth of dense and diverse touristy destination repertoire in a relatively small area. "Go to Hawaii" is still a lets-do-it-all-again as well as bucket list item for many if not most Americans.

Take 10 people to Hawaii and 10 people will say they had a good time.

Take 10 people anywhere on vacation in the U.S. and (at least) 5 will wish they'd gone somewhere else.

Posts: 4724 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
We had a great time at some usual places - Biloxi Beach, Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach. All have white sand and clear blue water.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
SORENSON, What Hayes Greener said!
I have lived in the FT. Walton Beach area since 1969.
Since your last post I would add that you have the Air Force Armament museum just outside Eglin Air Force Base , Fort Walton Beach/ Destin. This is about 3 or 4 miles from me.
In Pensacola, aboard NAS Pensacola, you have the Naval Aviation Museum, a wonderful facility that you can spend a day in. Depending on the time of the year you can also catch Blue Angels practicing.
The beaches from Gulf Shores Al over to St. George island area of FL are absolutely beautiful, although Destin is way overbuilt.
The most scenic time of the year, beach wise is now. Just a little cool.
You want to come to this area just after the spring break madness and before the summer insanity. Although the difference is not as great as in the past. I can try to find out the spring break dates for you.
Summer is crazy crowded and HOT plus you have the possibility of June grass in the water, stinky seaweed.
Destin is the place to go for charter boat fishing.
The Navarre Beach area is beautiful and centrally located between Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola.
I am most familiar with the restaurants in the Ft. Walton Beach / Destin area and there are many darn good ones.

As far as other parts of FL:
FL KEYS; great for snorkeling, diving,
fishing. Beaches, not so much!

Anna Maria island; S. side of the entrance to Tampa Bay. Very nice place. Some very good eating places. Lots of houses for rent, some mom and pop motels a few condos. Very nice beaches. Go after the second week of April when the prices drop. I can get your more insight if you want as I have spent a lot of time there over the last 18 years. That is where we take the boss's boat to the boatyard.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you do go to the Florida Keys and since you mentioned military history, let me suggest a visit to Fort Jefferson in Dry Tortugas National Park. It's a $200 each high speed ferry ride from Key West. It's almost as far as Cuba, so it's an all day trip. There's snorkeling there as well.

In Marathon, the Turtle Hospital is worth a visit. A wide variety of sea turtles are cared for there. The Dolphin Research Center is worth a visit well.

Beaches are rare in the Keys. Bahia Honda State Park has a great one. You can rent kayaks there as well. There are other state parks worth a visit that also offer kayaking. There are jet ski ecotours and boats that take you to Looe Key for snorkleing.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post