SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This writers strike business
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This writers strike business Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
The big name highly paid actors you see on social are lending their celebrity to the fight on behalf of the thousands of journey-men actors (and writers) whose names/images you wouldn't recognize. The big name actors/writers don't need the union; they can write their own custom tickets in negotiations. It's the less-famous actors/writers, who don't have sway in their contract negotiations, whom the union(s) truly protect from being taken advantage of.

My reaction may be a bit over the top. I just can't stand the union mentality. I do understand the situation the little guy is put in really I do. One of my very best high school friends tried to make it in that business. He worked as a stand in for 20 years. Half of that on one show you'd recognize. He explained one time that that show spent three weeks on, and one week off. For that week off the system was set up so he'd collect an unemployment check from the state. Now I've never in my life collected an unemployment check so I don't really know, but I'd wager I wouldn't get that deal.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This would be too much to ask for, but if it happened, it would be for me a dream come true:

Former Hollywood executive warns of ‘absolute collapse’ if SAG and WGA deal not met by September

These people have too much to lose, so- unfortunately- they'll work it out, but oh my God- if the whole PC leftist propaganda shit show fell apart, I'd be dancing in the street. All of it needs to come down. It's garbage, all of it, and all of it needs to collapse.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The reality in any business is the people with exceptional skills are paid the best because they bring in the most.

Look at professional baseball players. The ones that play at AAA and below are talented to some degree but that little bit extra is where the big bucks are.

The rest are a commodity that gets valued by the marketplace based on their replacement value. That marketplace is bringing in less and things like AI can do the routine stuff in the near future.

The truth is they are entertainers, a luxury item, they’re not curing cancer.

Welcome to the world the rest of us live in.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I care just enough about this to post about how I don't care about this. There are plenty of channels or networks offering TV show reruns and movies.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The writing has been terrible for years. Worst little era for films, well made episodic bullshit (tired of series myself, totally played out), etc. Nolan, Villeneuve, PTA, I can bank on those guys. I’m just not seeing a lot outside of them. I get lucky, like recently with the Good Nurse film, then it’s back to the drought. Someone already mentioned all the reboots, remakes, CGI fests, etc. Originality has left the building, well before this strike.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 100 years of The Price Is Right
Wouldn't you think they get just show up and do the show with out writers ?

They say the same damn thing for every show

You need a writer to say
Come ! On ! Down !

You're fired

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that is someone took a look at that system from top to bottom it's really broken and has been for quite a while.

I agree on some of the game shows and such that have been around forever, what exactly is being written!?!?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If they can't come up with something original instead of all these sequels, reboots and remakes, maybe they should take a break for a while.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The sun still rises...the earth continues to spin on its axis, nothing has changed whatsoever for my life with this strike.

Maybe they can strike permanently?

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There are undoubtedly crappy writers. And there are talented ones. Blaming the writers for the crap that gets produced isn't fair, though. Producers and studio heads decide what shows and movies get made, not writers. I don't doubt that there are great scripts out there that can't get the time of day. The execs won't risk money on something new or different, and prefer to create re-warmed sequels and material that is essentially the same dreck that has been made before.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The writers and actors, the entire industry for that matter, falls into the category of "unnecessary " to me. It's an over simplified statement, but I NEED farmers, doctors, engineers, electricians, construction workers, etc..

I don't need studio execs, actors or anything else in that industry. And as previously pointed out, I certainly don't need the sanctimonious shit that's been "created" by them.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are undoubtedly crappy writers. And there are talented ones. Blaming the writers for the crap that gets produced isn't fair, though. Producers and studio heads decide what shows and movies get made, not writers. I don't doubt that there are great scripts out there that can't get the time of day. The execs won't risk money on something new or different, and prefer to create re-warmed sequels and material that is essentially the same dreck that has been made before.

Pretty poor excuse. As far as I see it, writers can walk off production if they are repeatedly told to do the same lame bullshit anytime they want to, they just choose not to. It gives them a platform to virtue signal and deride those that don't agree with them. For that fact alone, they can fuck right off to whatever hole they crawled out of. Any exec worth his salt will see that doing the same show/movie once a decade is gonna lose market share because of oversaturation. We've been seeing a bit of that for the past 20 years since the start of the comic book movies/shows. The audience will only watch the same thing (told/retold) a handful of times before they decide to move on. Nostalgia can carry things a bit further, but not enough to carry entire studios.

Never mind the high price they ask for us to pay to be preached at and lectured. All streaming services have increased their prices in the last 6 months, but the content has only gotten worse and morally disgusting. Theaters are bankrupting themselves simply by having power delivered to the building that sits empty for most showings. Hollywood is at a crossroads and I believe the execs know it, regardless of what they say publicly. The faggy PC bullshit needs to end. This may be how they clean up their house or they may simply cave and keep on keeping on until nobody is left to watch the shit except those that wrote, directed, and produced it.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blaming the writers for the crap that gets produced isn't fair, though.

If the writers produced good material, it wouldn't matter what was the starting point.

Why do you go out of your way to say stuff like this?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ala Sound of Freedom....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Glorious karma Smile

Writers strike forces liberal late night shows off air for three months, critics say 'people just don’t care'
quote:
Political satirist Tim Young says their months-long absence makes it "easy to forget" about them.

"Their tired attempts at making funny news-based monologues that were always about Trump had become exhausting and unquotable, so they'd rarely even be covered by entertainment news anymore," Young told Fox News Digital. "Late night shows are so forgettable that I think people have just moved on... they just aren't missed."

posted Hide Post
I can only hope this continues for a nice long time!

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I personally don't give a shit about the strike, the writers, etc. I don't need modern Hollywood one bit.

There is more than enough interesting film and TV content from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s to keep me entertained for the rest of my life. If I run out of stuff, then on to the 80s and 90s.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just posted one of the reasons why the strike is a very, very good thing.

It's not just that these ASSHOLES are off the air for the time being; it's that the longer they are off the air, the fewer viewers who will return once they are back on, and return or not, those who watched these shows are now realizing that these shows have turned into pure shit and if they disappeared forever, it's no big deal.

Downhill, downhill, downhill. Loss of ratings, loss of advertisers, and before you know it, TV execs may begin considering alternative programming.

Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
How presumptuous to call themselves writers! Most news I read and have read recently bears small resemblance to any common writing skills. Items such as poor spelling, improper use or lack of punctuation, and disjointed sentence construction is often the norm rather than the exception. And now they wish to strike.
As is often quoted elsewhere, "How dare you!"

These are screenwriters, so you haven't read their writing.

I watch with subtitles or closed captioning.

Posts: 652 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post