SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This writers strike business
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This writers strike business Login/Join 
posted
I kinda don't get it.
If they are not happy with the people who don't want them to work there,

Why work there?
Are they not trainable, are they not qualified for any jobs anywhere doing anything?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it excruciatingly stressful?
What extraneous demands are being placed on them?

The little bits that I've seen about it make it seem like they feel cheated because everyone makes more money than them

And
" That ain't fair"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streaming which is how a lot is watched these days pays differently. A lot less apparently.

I have not been able to stand any late night comic person in a long while so don’t watch. Most network shows (ABC/CBS/NBC etc) are not watchable. I find many independent YouTube personalities provide good or better content for a fraction of the production budget.

Posts: 4781 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Writers? I thought that they died a long time ago.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Streaming which is how a lot is watched these days pays differently. A lot less apparently.

Video of Matt Damon explains how streaming and the digital landscape changed how actors, studios and writers will be paid, or not paid for their work as in the past and why studios are not willing to put out risky films/shows etc

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they're on strike, who is writing the wording on their strike signs?

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Could be the best thing for our society. Maybe they'll go on strike for a couple decades.

Posts: 21112 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I watch youtube videos much more than tv. We use youtube streaming service with Starz/Encore package for $75 month. It's wasted money imho but mama wants it. Be great if the talking heads went mute.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And now, the actors guild is saying the actors will strike.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...f304b8b0ef5f9e1&ei=6

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Oh, darn.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Oh crap, that means we are going to have to watch re-runs. Wait, we're already watching re-runs!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Would anyone really notice? Hollywood has been just relaunching previous movies (to include so-called “prequels/sequels”) made up to look new through the use of CGI and animation. Nothing new out of them for over 10+ years.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Don't hardly watch much TV these days. Mostly watch youtube videos. They could go on strike
for a year I don't care. Besides it seems like so many show writers are not that good compared to years ago.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8933 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They have a union, and they want to get paid more. This is what unions do.

It does seem likely that streaming services and changes in the TV/movie business are reducing their income. If the entertainment business is getting diluted and less profitable, that may be just the way it is.

I am generally not a fan of unions generally, and think they can abuse the power they can accumulate. I think they can become abusive when state legislatures pass laws that create more power than a "natural" union would have - doing things like making joining the union essentially mandatory. I don't know what the situation is in California, and this industry in general.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
There are some legitimate complaints the WGA has. For instance those "Free Online TV Channels" that rerun an entire series for anyone to watch. If it was an over the air channel, writers would get residuals for that, but because it's online only, the only folks being paid are the studios.

The other problem is they've picked exactly the wrong time to pull this shit with the industry at one of it's lowest points in the last 50 years where they've pissed off the studios AND the paying customer.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How presumptuous to call themselves writers! Most news I read and have read recently bears small resemblance to any common writing skills. Items such as poor spelling, improper use or lack of punctuation, and disjointed sentence construction is often the norm rather than the exception. And now they wish to strike.
As is often quoted elsewhere, "How dare you!"

Posts: 520 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950's when there were three networks and 30 tv shows this strike would have been great leverage ,
But now , in this day and age of 25 networks and 300 tv shows
And 50 years of reruns in the vault,

They have to realize that the demand for their services has diminished greatly in the last 12 years.

I don't see it being any different at all from retail clothing sales in brick and mortar stores.

A store I worked at in the seventies has les than half of the employees now than it did back then.
The men's ,women's and children's shoe dept. Had 8 employees working the sales floor, daily.

Now one person works all three depts. This is a 80,000 SQ ft store

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
How presumptuous to call themselves writers! Most news I read and have read recently bears small resemblance to any common writing skills. Items such as poor spelling, improper use or lack of punctuation, and disjointed sentence construction is often the norm rather than the exception. And now they wish to strike.
As is often quoted elsewhere, "How dare you!"

These are screenwriters, so you haven't read their writing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They have a union, and they want to get paid more. This is what unions do.

It does seem likely that streaming services and changes in the TV/movie business are reducing their income. If the entertainment business is getting diluted and less profitable, that may be just the way it is.

Yep.
And sometimes when a union strikes it puts the employer out of business.
Which I would not consider a bad thing in this instance. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24157 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post