SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone actually looked into the military ear plug law suit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone actually looked into the military ear plug law suit? Login/Join 
posted
I used the search function and didn't find anything, so please forgive me if I missed it, but some supposed attorney keeps leaving messages on my answering machine to contact them. I have hearing loss and Tinnitus from the military, and I used all types of ear plugs over the years. Just wondering how legit it is, are is it a scam to make the attorneys wealthy.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
See the VA about your tinnitus and hearing loss...

I have both and wore earpro, sometimes foamies and Mickey Mouse ...but a cannon going off next to you will have consequences.

I didn’t even bother checking deeply into the lawsuit, as the VA is on the hook for my hearing care due to related military service. IIRC, if you sign up for a payment from the lawsuit-you give up the recourse from the VA.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11298 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've been hearing these ads on the radio. I'm sure it's like all these other class action lawsuits, where the lawyers rake in most of the money and the plaintiffs get jack squat.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
IMO, there is no wearable hearing protection made that will prevent damage from nearby exposure to cannon fire or high-powered rifle fire. Some earphone/plug combinations would probably be preventive for small arms fire, but how many would wear both muffs and plugs in a battle?

For that reason, I think the idea of bankrupting a manufacturer of earplugs because one developed tinnitus is ridiculous--even the best plugs made would not prevent that from happening, given enough exposure.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
huh?

Wink Kidding

These things are a scam that just adds to the lawyers paycheck. Get with the VA and get your hearing taken care of there.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard that some folks are getting 5 and 6 figure settlements. It’s worth looking into.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7958 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flashguy: IMO, there is no wearable hearing protection made that will prevent damage from nearby exposure to cannon fire or high-powered rifle fire.

Yeah, we wore both when in the mount for our 76mm(3”) anti-air automated gun....MK75, no one was allowed on the decks..

When using the M242 25mm “chain gun” cannon we wore both- but I was the Mount captain and had to be able to hear tru the sound powered phones, so I only had foamies...

20mm cannon, and 50 BMG we wore both

And all small arms we wore foamies..but I was a firearms instructor and when we went to the range I was there all day..sometimes the units would rotate personnel thru...if we had to run five lines of 9mm quails I was there for all of it..

Plus, on one class of ship I was on, we had to go thru the engine compartment to get to our berthing...we wore Mickey Mouse ears but two engines the size of an F150 is loud no matter how slow they are running..

I actually have an appointment in March with the VA to have my hearing tested again and the can evaluate when I will need hearing aids.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11298 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve heard that some folks are getting 5 and 6 figure settlements. It’s worth looking into.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As Joe would say that is a bunch of Malarkey!! When you get that fat settlement show us the MONEY!

The VA will test your hearing at no cost and fit you with hearing aids at no cost if the hearing loss is due to your service. Depending on the severity of your hearing impairment you may receive a monthly stipend in the form of a service connected disability.

I rather doubt that the manufacturers of foamies have deep pockets to endlessly pay six figure claims.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I've been hearing these ads on the radio. I'm sure it's like all these other class action lawsuits, where the lawyers rake in most of the money and the plaintiffs get jack squat.

If the lawsuit succeeds, the plaintiffs will each get about $7.63 to buy a new set of earplugs.

The earplugs in the lawsuit are these double-ended models made by 3M.

Hundreds of vets are suing over these defective combat earplugs

Judge unseals hundreds of pages of documents in veterans’ lawsuit against 3M over earplugs

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 5 months at Ft. Sill, OK in early 90s for the field artillery officer basic course, and I used to joke it was not the artillery that would someday (er, these days) contribute to my hearing loss, but the titty bars. I swear, it was a WALL of sound and my ears would ring for a full day after visiting one (but I did not go all that often as compared to several of my fellow LTs).

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in, USAF issued ear plugs in a clear plastic vial with a ball chain attachment. During inspection, (Security Police Guardmount) you were expected to have them attached to your web gear or uniform.
Never wore them once. At all. I dont know of anyone who did. Flight line troops often wore headphones.
No doubt the start of my hearing loss.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I spent 5 months at Ft. Sill, OK in early 90s for the field artillery officer basic course, and I used to joke it was not the artillery that would someday (er, these days) contribute to my hearing loss, but the titty bars. I swear, it was a WALL of sound and my ears would ring for a full day after visiting one (but I did not go all that often as compared to several of my fellow LTs).
That's not the only thing that can trip you up at a titty bar!

Posts: 6496 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post